Richtersveld

Thread: Richtersveld

Default Richtersveld

Hi guys, I'm going to the Richtersveld in September with my Range Rover 255/55 R19 types Coopers. Will they be ok for this trip

Default Re: Richtersveld

Hi Horn I was there about a month ago and I can't see why not. It is not that hectic.

Quote Originally Posted by bos->toe View Post
    Hi Horn I was there about a month ago and I can't see why not. It is not that hectic.
    Thanks bos. What pressure will you recommend on the rocky section? 2 bar?

I deflated too 1.7b if i remembered correctly for the gravel and kept the same for the entire period. Didn't feel it was necessary to go lower at any of the sections. I had a trailer took it slow

I drove from Rosh Pinah via Sendelingsdrif to Alexander Bay now in the middle of May. The 90 odd km's from Alexander Bay to Sendelingsdrif is in a very, very bad condition, sandy, very rocky and corrugated. If you are travelling this route allow at the very least 3 hours plus, it could be a tyre eater for low profiles.

Default Richtersveld

Quote Originally Posted by fredwb View Post
    I drove from Rosh Pinah via Sendelingsdrif to Alexander Bay now in the middle of May. The 90 odd km's from Alexander Bay to Sendelingsdrif is in a very, very bad condition, sandy, very rocky and corrugated. If you are travelling this route allow at the very least 3 hours plus, it could be a tyre eater for low profiles.
    Road been bad for many years, remember stopping numerous times to lower pressures eventually dropping to around a bar to get through from Alexander Bay to Sendelingsdrif, there have been others but this was some of the worst 80km corrugated road I can remember.......but don't let it stop you as well with the effort once in Richtersveld its an amazing place. Note to self must go back!
    Last edited by GasHog; 2017/08/07 at 09:02 PM.
    '06 TJ Wranger | 4.0L Auto| 4.5" Lift | 35" Copper STT | 15" MT Classic II Black | 4.88 Gears

Tks for the info
    We plan to visit Richtersveld in the next two weeks and any info is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by GasHog View Post
    Road been bad for many years, remember stopping numerous times to lower pressures eventually dropping to around a bar to get through from Alexander Bay to Sendelingsdrif, there have been others but this was some of the worst 80km corrugated road I can remember.......but don't let it stop you as well with the effort once in Richtersveld its an amazing place. Note to self must go back!
    Thanks for the info. Can you get to the river mouth at Alexander bay? Has anyone tried this and what were your experience?
    Is there directions? I see there is a tourist info center maybe should stop there for directions. That is if it is operational!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wims_za View Post
    Tks for the info
    We plan to visit Richtersveld in the next two weeks and any info is appreciated
    Wims, let us know how it went. Cheers

Hi guys
    I need to buy a spare tyre and rim for my trip to Richtersveld so I have 2 spares but I can't find any place in Durban selling second hand rims. Does any one know a place?

Quote Originally Posted by Horn View Post
    Hi guys
    I need to buy a spare tyre and rim for my trip to Richtersveld so I have 2 spares but I can't find any place in Durban selling second hand rims. Does any one know a place?
    I've got a few for you if you are talking Defenders. Gratis if you collect.

Standard or Wolf?
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Hi guys

Quick report back on Richtersveld

F A N T A S T I C

No flowers but stunning place. Loved De Hoop and Richtersberg camps, while Potjespram was fine, monkeys not too bad.
    Drove to Kokerboom which was beautiful.

All in all we took it slow and steady, no punctures or lost tires. However 3 other people we met did loose tyres. Came via Vioolsdrif through the Heritage area, agin slow, steady and amaing.

Our only puncture was between Ceres and Calvinia but the tyre pressure system saved the day.
    Worst road was out of Eksteenfontein - try to avoid if possible.

More to follow once we are back