CV Joint

Thread: CV Joint

Default CV Joint

I got in a very tight spot on the Rebelion 4x4 route near Clarens yesterday when my ML broke the lefthandside inner cv-joint halfway through the mountain route. ��
    I got the vehicle moving (under load protest) by locking the centre and back diffs giving me three-wheel drive. Turning around was not possible, so I had to go back trough two grade 4's in reverse, which was possible thanks to two great friends giving me very presice instructions.��

Driving very slow I managed even the 10kms or so back to our hotel in Clarens where a towtruck picked it up this morning. Its now at the MB dealership on Bethlehem whom I'll contact tomorrow to arrange repairs.��

I still do not understand how a cv can brake like this without any warning.��

A big unexpected issue was the fact that neither the handbrake nor Park keep the car from rolling so I had to get someone put a brick in front of a wheel before I could let go of the brakepedal.��
    Last edited by JohanvdWalt; 2017/07/30 at 06:54 PM.
    Johan vd Walt
    2006 ML 320Cdi (Offroad package)
    Previous 4x4's
    1996 Disco I V8 M - Columbus
    Triple Lockers, 70mm lift (was 140mm) Gotech F/M
    Freelander Td5 A/T
    BMW X5
    Colt 2.8 sold at 470 000kms

Default Re: CV Joint

MB quoted me R20 000 plus labour, I tried various used spare shops, they could supply the standard sub-axle but not the heavy duty shaft that come with the off-road package.

After many phone calls I got hold of Mega Cage CV joint and drive shafts in Silverton, they did some research and found that the inner parts of a Ford Ranger T6 is a perfect fit at less than R2000!
    Johan vd Walt
    2006 ML 320Cdi (Offroad package)
    Previous 4x4's
    1996 Disco I V8 M - Columbus
    Triple Lockers, 70mm lift (was 140mm) Gotech F/M
    Freelander Td5 A/T
    BMW X5
    Colt 2.8 sold at 470 000kms

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanvdWalt For This Useful Post:

Default Re: CV Joint

You can also in future try finding what you are looking for from Pelican Parts, an online shop in the US.
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post: