Isuzu MU-X - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Isuzu MU-X

Default Re: Isuzu MU-X

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    So, Isuzu didn't improve on the Frontier with the MU-X.

The Frontier has diff lock and 16" rims as standard. I looked at the TB to replace the Frontier some years ago. What I found and didn't like:

1. 18" rims with a 16" spare. With a limited slip diff nogal! I can't imagine doing 2 - 300km through the Karoo trying to find an 18" tyre like this. Where are you going to find another tyre like that in the Karoo?
    2. The spare was inside the vehicle. Unpack in the sun to get it out. The Frontier's is on the tailgate.
    3. The brown and black trim.
    4. No turbo on the engine.
    5. No diff lock.

But it had 11 cup holders.

Now the MU-X arrives with:

1. No diff lock
    2. The spare inside.
    3. 18" rims

I suppose it has enough cup holders though.

So the Frontier with almost 400 000 km on the clock has to remain.
    18" tyres are on the Mu-X as well as the Tuna2.8 and Everest 3.2.

Diff lock is optional extra.

Spare is not inside the vehicle it is underneath. Like a bakkie. If that bugs you then a spare wheel carrier can be made up to your desire. If you are going to trek very far distances through bad terrain you would want more than one spare in any event.

I considered buying one but the 500kg payload sunk it for me. So, I bought the double cab instead.

Johan
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

So, Isuzu didn't improve on the Frontier with the MU-X.

The Frontier has diff lock and 16" rims as standard. I looked at the TB to replace the Frontier some years ago. What I found and didn't like:

1. 18" rims with a 16" spare. With a limited slip diff nogal! I can't imagine doing 2 - 300km through the Karoo trying to find an 18" tyre like this. Where are you going to find another tyre like that in the Karoo?
    2. The spare was inside the vehicle. Unpack in the sun to get it out. The Frontier's is on the tailgate.
    3. The brown and black trim.
    4. No turbo on the engine.
    5. No diff lock.

But it had 11 cup holders.

Now the MU-X arrives with:

1. No diff lock
    2. The spare inside.
    3. 18" rims

I suppose it has enough cup holders though.

So the Frontier with almost 400 000 km on the clock has to remain.
    Hi Olyfboer,

I had a 2013 TB and just some observations:

1. You can fit a full size 18 inch rim and spare in the space provided - I got a rim from the scrapyard. I agree though that providing a 16 inch spare was a stupid thing to do. The post 2016 TB's (face lift with new front end shape) have an 18 inch spare as standard.
    2. Spare was not inside, it was below the vehicle (same as double cab bakkies and similar SUVs). Very easy to lower and get out, even with a full boot.
    3. After 2014 (i think), you also got black and grey trimming. I agree it looks a lot better than the grey and cream. The black ones looked very nice though.
    4. The 2.8 Duramax engine was most certainly turbocharged. Of all the features of the TB, the engine was probably its biggest selling point. Truly a really, REALLY good motor.
    5. Jip - no difflock. I have never needed it through a few overlanding trips. I never did any serious 4x4 trails though, just some rough stuff overlanding.

As far as the MUX goes:

1. No difflock - but aftermarket can be fitted AFAIK.
    2. Spare is still below the vehicle, not inside.
    3. Jip - 18 inch with 18 spare. Expensive tyres!

In my mind, the MUX is a great overall vehicle. The TB was seriously under appreciated in SA. If a standard difflock is that NB, then your options in that category is basically limited to the Fortuner. If you want a spare on the back door as standard, you have to go to the big boys - Patrol, Prado, LC200 or Pajero.
    Last edited by Groenman; 2018/12/18 at 04:15 PM.
    Stephan
    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Quote Originally Posted by StangV2_0 View Post
    18" tyres are on the Mu-X as well as the Tuna2.8 and Everest 3.2.

Diff lock is optional extra.

Spare is not inside the vehicle it is underneath. Like a bakkie. If that bugs you then a spare wheel carrier can be made up to your desire. If you are going to trek very far distances through bad terrain you would want more than one spare in any event.
    Everywhere around me is bad terrain. The doctor is 100 km away. The nearest supermarket is 170 km away. Only the N1 is reachable by tar road 110 km away. 18" Tires are like rocking horse teeth in the Great Karoo. Everyone uses 15" or 16" high profiles. The problem is the rough dirt roads with large and sharp stones. Even the police bakkies run Wrangler AT's.

The spare underneath is a big hassle when it has to be removed with a flat rear tyre and a load in the vehicle. I carry a repair kit, compressor and tyre gauge in case of more than one flat, which has happened to me.

I am aware that I can have a spare wheel carrier made. However, my old Isuzu Frontier came with a diff lock, tailgate spare wheel carrier and 16" rims as standard. Why aren't the new vehicles being built as standard usable vehicles in rough and remote locations? Why do you need to modify the vehicle before it can be used properly?
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Why aren't the new vehicles being built as standard usable vehicles in rough and remote locations? Why do you need to modify the vehicle before it can be used properly?
    Short answer: 99% of driving is done on tar. It is not profitable to market cars for persons like you and me - someone looking for a rugged "stripped-down" version of a large SUV.

The 18 inch tyres are there for tar road performance and safety. The spare underneath is to grant easy access for mom with her shopping. The no-difflock is there because no-one uses it.

So when us off the beaten track okes wnat a car, we either have to pay through our noses for the extras / customisation or buy a Land Cruiser.
    Stephan
    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Everywhere around me is bad terrain. The doctor is 100 km away. The nearest supermarket is 170 km away. Only the N1 is reachable by tar road 110 km away. 18" Tires are like rocking horse teeth in the Great Karoo. Everyone uses 15" or 16" high profiles. The problem is the rough dirt roads with large and sharp stones. Even the police bakkies run Wrangler AT's.

The spare underneath is a big hassle when it has to be removed with a flat rear tyre and a load in the vehicle. I carry a repair kit, compressor and tyre gauge in case of more than one flat, which has happened to me.

I am aware that I can have a spare wheel carrier made. However, my old Isuzu Frontier came with a diff lock, tailgate spare wheel carrier and 16" rims as standard. Why aren't the new vehicles being built as standard usable vehicles in rough and remote locations? Why do you need to modify the vehicle before it can be used properly?
    Because you don't need all that to reach the mall
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Because you don't need all that to reach the mall
    True that. Whenever we're in Cape Town at a mall with the dusty Frontier or Chinese bakkie (100 000 km of which most is on bad dirt roads and not even a rattle yet), my wife always checks out the kitted 4x4's in mall parking lots, looks under the vehicle and giggles when she finds out the chassis is still clean and has no signs of being off the tar.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

I was also disappointed when Isuzu went to 18” tyres and was planning to change them for 16” ones once they were worn out - but I have been very surprised at their performance on tar, gravel, sharp stones and soft sand. I have experienced some very bone jarring bumps and lots of corrugations - had the alignment checked but still ok after 30k. The main issue is tyre pressures matched to driving surface. I bought an extra spare tyre without the rim for those remote places that don’t stock 18”. The other day I saw a Hilux with 18” BFGs. More and more bakkies and cars are starting to use 18” and I would guess they will be more widely available and cheaper in the future. 18” tyres are very common in the USA and are very cheap.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Life For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Speedy Roos View Post
    Howzit everyone, found this thread as I was scrolling through google while trying to look busy at work.

So Ive seen a few posts that people complain about and then people having high expectations. To start things off, Ive been the owner of the MU-X 4x4 for over a month now and my previous trusted steed was a 2005 Mitsubishi Pajero lwb 3.8. On the last post to this thread I see someone talking about the brand new Mitsubishi Pajero Sport and then wondering about the dealership footprint. Well I come bearing terrible news, I wanted to buy the new Pajero sport and dealer services are terrible in general, this can be backed by the number of sales it has per month on any of their models. I struggled for over a month with 3 different dealers just to buy the sport and then finally gave the Isuzu dealer in our town a call and in less than 3 days I had the new MU-X.

The MU-X has something none of the other brands can offer, a reliable, proven and trusted engine, the DTEQ 3.0 and lets face it, we all have our doubts about all these new smaller high output diesel engines and I for one like to buy something that will last at least 10 years without breaking down after 100k with turbos and things failing left and right.
    That being said, I always said the Isuzu sounds like a tractor, looks like its 10 years behind in technology, but lasts forever, because it does, Isuzu rarely has the issues that other brands have mainly because they stick to what works. So the MU-X was a no brainer as a second choice to the Pajero sport( which has excellent standard offroad features).

The MU-X has its negatives, for starters as mentioned the 65L tank, which I find is a slap in the face. The 7.9L/100km however isnt too far off, I get about 11km/L average and drive 120km/h gps speed on the highway, in town i get about 9.5km/L since I have a heavy foot( I blame my old 3.8 V6 Pajero). The Ozzies have made an Auxiliary tank that fits above the spare wheel for an added 54L without the sparewheel sitting lower, so Im patiently witing for that upgrade!

The features are quite nice and it doesnt look like a car inside, or a mommy wagon like some of the other brands. Guys if you want something that makes you feel special with features, go buy a car or something. Its supposed to be able to go offroad and I for one dont like a shitload of electronics waiting to fail in the middle of nowhere.

It doesn't come with difflock and thats a bummer, but I will be going to Moz in a few weeks time to compare it to my old Pajero in the dunes, which Im very curious about! Another thing that I find ridiculous are these 18" wheels, it looks nice, but thats about it! I want to change the mags for a set of 17s when the finances allow it.

Any questions, I would answer it to the best of my ability
    Nice write up

How did the MU-X perform in Moz?

Cheers!

Certain dealership selling new Mu-X (not demos) for R459,000.00 incl..

Now that's a bargain.. message me for info not sure if I can post here?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3