Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7

Hi guys

I'm thinking about trading my 2005 Ford ranger V6 4x2 for a Jeep 4.7. One reason is that I am now looking for a 4x4 vehicle and also a vehicle that has a little space. I do have a few questions tho.

1 - Would it be a wise decision?
    2 - If I do go through with it, what will I have to be looking out for when looking for such a Jeep? Any specific signs of problems or faults on the vehicle etc.

I have read previous posts regarding the Jeeps and found it very informative. I would however like some fresh perspective.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to necrovis For This Useful Post:

Default Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7

Are you looking at the earlier WJ or later WK? What year is it? If either has been looked after properly then there's no real scary issues, especially on the Laredo spec which is less stressed & cheaper to maintain.
    Last edited by XJ Junkie; 2017/07/26 at 08:38 PM.

Default Re: Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7

I have just bought a 2003 4.7 Overland , nearly full service history at agents . Right hand cylinder head off and it needs 2 pistons . In spite of this I have a luxury vehicle that I can service myself . Check for rust on the chassis and spring seats . Electrical issues can be windows and the wires going into the drivers door chafe off over time .

Quote Originally Posted by necrovis View Post
    Hi guys

I'm thinking about trading my 2005 Ford ranger V6 4x2 for a Jeep 4.7. One reason is that I am now looking for a 4x4 vehicle and also a vehicle that has a little space. I do have a few questions tho.

2 - If I do go through with it, what will I have to be looking out for when looking for such a Jeep? Any specific signs of problems or faults on the vehicle etc.

I have read previous posts regarding the Jeeps and found it very informative. I would however like some fresh perspective.

WK or WJ?
    "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold."

I'm currently thinking about getting the WJ (2002 model). It just has a certain appeal to it.
    Last edited by necrovis; 2017/07/26 at 09:48 PM.

I'm currently thinking about getting the WJ (2002 model). It just has a certain appeal to it.
    Go for it. They're good vehicles. Normal 2nd hand car rules apply.

Go for it, just have R10k to your disposal for the first service.
    Andre
    Mud flaps
    Sport wheels

Is it of utmost importance to do a service as soon as you bought the vehicle if it has a full service history and has been services recently?

Is it of utmost importance to do a service as soon as you bought the vehicle if it has a full service history and has been services recently?
    Depends.... how detailed is the service history - does you think the diffs have the correct oil with friction modifier for example? Did they use the correct coolant in the radiator. If you believe they did, then I suppose you should be fine.

Have a full lube service done just gives you peace of mind that it is now correctly done, but it will obviously cost some cash.

I'd probably change the oil and filters at least.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Hi guys

<05=WJ with SFA
    05onwards=WK with IFS
    '11 onwards =WK2

It really depends. There's service history, and then there's service history.

If its some random place I'd rather play it safe. If it was regularly serviced by a known Jeep fundi, e.g. Bulli up North, or APS down this side of the world, then perhaps not so much.

The WJ is like a Range Rover P38: it can quickly degenerate into a money pit of note.

From experience. See my signature. As per Rayll: heads had to come off, holes in pistons, even Bulli struggled to fix it. The BCM is also a right PITA.

My advice is rather look at a Cherokee XJ : much less technology but extremely robust and retains its market value better than a WJ.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    The WJ is like a Range Rover P38: it can quickly degenerate into a money pit of note.

From experience. See my signature. As per Rayll: heads had to come off, holes in pistons, even Bulli struggled to fix it. The BCM is also a right PITA.

My advice is rather look at a Cherokee XJ : much less technology but extremely robust and retains its market value better than a WJ.
    The last sentence is true , I test drove the XJ and the WJ and the ride of the WJ was the clincher , Mine has a Selling dealer service history for about 90 % of its life .

Yes, I'm little worried about all the electronics going on in the WJ.

I can see it being a problem when sensors start giving troubles. In any vehicle, especially second hand is a "risk" no matter what you will be buying.

If it is space you are looking for, the WJ will fit that requirement better than the XJ.
    Sue

Jeep XJ 4.0
    Jeep WJ 4.7 V8

Budget?
    "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold."

there was a WJ 2004 model a while ago with a lexus V8 for R40 000 , yes it needed two tyres and had the shakes over 90 Km/h , so budget will also play a role as well as originality you want .

Yes, I'm little worried about all the electronics going on in the WJ.

I can see it being a problem when sensors start giving troubles.
    This is why the Laredo spec is the clever option. It has a lot less items that can break, like not having climate control, sunroof & other fancy gadgets, etc. these these things also make them less desirable which keeps the price down.

Although yank cars aren't known for electrical issues. They were putting elec windows & elec roofs into cars since the 50's.

The Laredo also has the least stressed engine (160 kw vs 190kw) & cheaper to maintain that the Overland high output spec.

Then the Laredo has the 1 inch factory lift & 16 inch rims.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    This is why the Laredo spec is the clever option. It has a lot less items that can break, like not having climate control, sunroof & other fancy gadgets, etc. these these things also make them less desirable which keeps the price down.

Although yank cars aren't known for electrical issues. They were putting elec windows & elec roofs into cars since the 50's.

The Laredo also has the least stressed engine (160 kw vs 190kw) & cheaper to maintain that the Overland high output spec.

Then the Laredo has the 1 inch factory lift & 16 inch rims.

Yet,the WK Laredo comes with the sunroof,electric drivers seat,climate control etc.

How much do you want to spend. For R100 000 you can get a 2005-2007 WK. I own a 2008 WK Overland 5.7. Love it. Been through Namibia ,Botswana and Mozambique. No problem. I had however spend money on the front diff, starter, water pump and hoses. Most parts are only available at stealers but can be obtained at half the price on e-bay. Remember the WK is rather small inside.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast