should I get this discovery 4? - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: should I get this discovery 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Should that not be here? This is the Land Rover section
    Here there whatever. Point is we need a policeman.
    Regards,

William

D4 v8 --Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to willben For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by d7e7r7 View Post

ahem... you quoting a Prado here. Prado is Toyota. Pajero (like XJ Junkie advised) is a Mitsubishi. Just saying...

Also, a Prado or Pajero engines (for that matter) catastrophically blowing it's bits all over the road is not something you hear of often. So when it does happen everyone wants to know what caused it. But it's getting harder and harder going a day, without you hearing of a Disco going belly-up, in a BIG way. Disco's lasting over 200K is really a milestone for these guys it would seem. "Ooooohhhhh wow! My disco reached 200K, YEAH!" Quite the norm with the Mitsu & Toy's, if I'm honest...

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyades For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    ahem... you quoting a Prado here. Prado is Toyota. Pajero (like XJ Junkie advised) is a Mitsubishi. Just saying...

Also, a Prado or Pajero engines (for that matter) catastrophically blowing it's bits all over the road is not something you hear of often. So when it does happen everyone wants to know what caused it. But it's getting harder and harder going a day, without you hearing of a Disco going belly-up, in a BIG way. Disco's lasting over 200K is really a milestone for these guys it would seem. "Ooooohhhhh wow! My disco reached 200K, YEAH!" Quite the norm with the Mitsu & Toy's, if I'm honest...
    I'm on 196K hold thumbs and toes!
    Regards,

William

D4 v8 --Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to willben For This Useful Post:

Default should I get this discovery 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Burger View Post
    Think what is meant here is every post about a discovery steers down to crankshaft failure, but land rover is not the only one with recurring problems, hence the refrence to the post about prado
    Correct the difference is that the Prado problem is recognize by Toyota and they pay the bill, out of warranty as well, so the failure on the Prado won't cost you 1 cent. No financial risk only engine failure risk and the inconvenience of that.
    Last edited by Francois111; 2017/07/28 at 09:33 AM.
    Francois

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois111 For This Useful Post:

I apologise for essentially re-posting comments I've made before on the forum.

I had a very similar choice/conundrum/dilemma a year or so ago.

Disco 4 used. Affordable to buy, class leading comfort and power (and offroad ability; mostly), very secure (theft and accident). BUT; complex and with a sporadic but limited history of major, unexpected catastrophic breakdown, limited number of dealers, expensive repairs, bush fixes unlikely. The three Disco owners I know well have had no problems into 200 00+km. Two were Disco 3's and used hard - one a farmer the other a surveyor.

Toyota Fortuner new. Relatively expensive, acceptable comfort, power and offroad ability (clunky 4x4 operation though), mid level secure in theft (maybe high?) and accident. Extensive dealership network (even in Namibia - could get a Gobabis upgrade), possibly more affordable repairs (cost of a spare fanbelt made my eyes water at R1 400 odd), relatively simpler and at least some bush fixes possible. History of reliability.

For both I could get full insurance cover at about the same cost that would collect the vehicle and give me a hired car; up to a point. Not from the Namib for example and your holiday is pretty much stuffed.

After much humming and ha'ing I chose the Toyota. I am happy with my choice and am please I haven't had to test the perceived advantages. Stories of unexpected, unfixable on the road, Disco 4 failures continue to trickle in.

So sad to see every bloody Discovery thread infected by and ruined by the same "know-it-all's" who doesn't even own one.

I am sure most semi educated people who can afford a Discovery have the ability to read/do their own home work.

Added to that, the fact that the obvious warning was given in the second or third reply already, I really do not see the need for 4 pages of non-owners to come give their opinions on a matter not related to them at all.

Now go and troll on the Toyota prado engine blow-up threads.....

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Regard For This Useful Post:

How is it that I can honestly say that I have never heard of one D3/4 breaking BIG TIME (although aware that it does happen) and yet other people apparently seem to hear of it on a daily basis. perhaps just a teeny weeny bit of exaggeration? but it does make the story sound better!!!

Regards to all
    BarryB

Quote Originally Posted by d7e7r7 View Post
    That's a Prado not a Pajero. But I'd still recommend a Prado over a D3/4

Quote Originally Posted by Regard View Post
    So sad to see every bloody Discovery thread infected by and ruined by the same "know-it-all's" who doesn't even own one.
    Added to that, the fact that the obvious warning was given in the second or third reply already, I really do not see the need for 4 pages of non-owners to come give their opinions on a matter not related to them at all.

See example below to understand why an ongoing awareness is needed. Think of it as a public service.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Bowd View Post
    How is it that I can honestly say that I have never heard of one D3/4 breaking BIG TIME (although aware that it does happen) and yet other people apparently seem to hear of it on a daily basis. perhaps just a teeny weeny bit of exaggeration? but it does make the story sound better!!!

Regards to all
    BarryB

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Bowd View Post

Regards to all
    BarryB
    You need to spend some time reading the Landy pages...
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    Its a Disco 3 with a conrod (maybe) problem... Everyone now just posts whatever Discovery issues on these threads. Its not helpful.
    Discovery 2 V8 XS
    Range Rover Sport SDV8

I check the Landy pages on a daily basis which is why I am aware that it is happening but as previously stated I have never personally heard of it happening and I do know a few D3/4 owners but that doesn't make for a good story.
    They stopped making the D3 in 2009 (I think) but I do see plenty still on the road maybe you don't or you possibly look away?

Regards
    BarryB

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    See example below to understand why an ongoing awareness is needed. Think of it as a public service.
    I said it before but will say it again.

I speak to almost 40 different individuals every day of my life.

I love talking cars with them.

In the area where I work there are a lot of Discovery owners. Mostly 4's but quite a few 3's as well. None of them members on this forum (ok..I lie, two in the last 7 years I spoke to were members).

Not one of the owners I spoke to in the last couple of years ever had issues. None. The only issues I ever heard of is the few on this forum.

I was never aware of the high and mighty, holier than tho, Prado engine bomming out until I actually saw the thread on it the other day. Then I was made aware of many more "known" cases right here on the forum.

And from now on I will also (every single time the word PRADO is mentioned, even if it is for roof rack advice) mention the horrible engine blowing up.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Regard For This Useful Post:

So Mudslide

Please update us. What did Walter say. Have you made a purchase.

Regards
    Gavin
    2015 Discovery 4 30 SDV6 SE
    2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4
    Metalian Off Road Trailer
    Previous
    2010 Discovery 4 30 TDV6 SE
    Discovery 3 V6 S
    Discovery 2 TD5
    Defender 90 TDI
    Defender 110 V8 Hard Top
    Jurgens Xplorer

The services have been done regularly according to the book by Auto Niche in George. (I tried to contact them but their number is out of service) did a look up on google and see they are/were a land rover dealer.

Land Rover Bloem and George are the same business. LR Bloem 0514034296. LR George 044 8025400. Called Imperial Auto now, but they are "connected" and known as Auto Niche.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

And from now on I will also (every single time the word PRADO is mentioned, even if it is for roof rack advice) mention the horrible engine blowing up.
    That won't make the D3/4 Peugeots engine any more reliable. Plus it can be seen as trolling for some kind of weird revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    Plus it can be seen as trolling for some kind of weird revenge.
    Exactly my thoughts every time I see the same replies from the same characters.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regard For This Useful Post:

In the area where I work there are a lot of Discovery owners. Mostly 4's but quite a few 3's as well. None of them members on this forum (ok..I lie, two in the last 7 years I spoke to were members).

Not one of the owners I spoke to in the last couple of years ever had issues. None. The only issues I ever heard of is the few on this forum.

I was never aware of the high and mighty, holier than tho, Prado engine bomming out until I actually saw the thread on it the other day. Then I was made aware of many more "known" cases right here on the forum.

Our corporate headoffice parking garage looks like a LR dealership. There is about 50 Disco's that parks there, and I personally know most of these people. I can only think of 3 V8's, so the vast majority are diesels. I have not heard of engine failures from one of them. I think most of them have no idea what a crank is. I guess most people join the forum when problems strike. As I was walking in a while ago, a colleague met me at the revolving door. She has one of the very first TDV6's. I asked her how it was treating her and she replied that it has been fine since the repairs. My heart sank. Then she went on to tell me that they hit a bushpig at 60km/h - that's what the repairs was for.

Go have a look how many of the guys that posted on the forum with one or two posts have used the "preventative measures" prior to having crank failures, and how many guys loose injectors even though they use additives.
    A lot of these are heavily punted on the Forum and people find them through google.

The last time I looked on and counted for cranks it was over 50% if I am mistaken.

I still advocate that the manufacturers and oil companies know a lot more, and have researched more, than all the combined knowledge on the forum.
    Go figure
    Discovery 3 TDV6 S G4 No 29 - Mine
    Discovery 4 TDV6 SE - SWAMBO's

29. The Following User Says Thank You to rabbiddog For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast