Hilux recovery points - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Hilux recovery points

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    I know this is a different configuration but what is the view of this as a recovery point?
    Can't say that I have ever heard or read about one of those that failed. I have tried to get some guys to pay towards a test to destruction/failure for one of these at the SABS but nobody want to help pay for the test.
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Remember your pin and ball (or recovery point on the bumper or bullbar) is only as good as to how the bulbar or bumper is fixed to your vehicle.

These pin and balls are very good, remember not to use the ball, but to use the pin for recoveries. I have them fitted on all my vehicles except the pajero, it has a different pin and ball make. (Remember to remove the pin and store in the vehicle, they get stolen)

Once again- it does not matter how good the pin and ball or recovery point is, if it is attached to a bumper that is fixed to the vehicle with mickey mouse nuts and bolts or badly made or loose, something will break. All bolts must be decent sized tight high tensile bolts and more than 4 or 6 decent sizes bolts with nylock and or spring washers.

A standard average fitted tow bar is designed for light towing, they are not designed for HEAVY difficult recoveries. Get underneath your vehicle and check how the bumper and bullbar is fitted to the vehicle. As stated make sure all the bolts are there, and 8.8 bolts.

Don't waste your time with good recovery points fitted to your bumpers or bullbars - without checking the full insulation. This very dangerous.

Just because you have a winch or good recovery points on the 4x4 you bought - it might not have the correct bolts or insulation. check for safety's sake.
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/02/22 at 11:51 AM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to K-9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
    Remember your pin and ball (or recovery point on the bumper or bullbar) is only as good as to how the bulbar or bumper is fixed to your vehicle.

These pin and balls are very good, remember not to use the ball, but to use the pin for recoveries. I have them fitted on all my vehicles except the pajero, it has a different pin and ball make. (Remember to remove the pin and store in the vehicle, they get stolen)

Once again- it does not matter how good the pin and ball or recovery point is, if it is attached to a bumper that is fixed to the vehicle with mickey mouse nuts and bolts or badly made or loose. All bolts must be decent sized tight high tensile bolts and more than 4 decent sizes bolts with nylock and or spring washers.

A standard average fitted tow bar designed for light towing, are not designed for HEAVY difficult recoveries. Get underneath your vehicle and check how the bumper and bullbar is fitted to the vehicle. As stated make sure all the bolts are there, and 8.8 bolts.

Don't waste your time with good recovery points fitted to your bumpers or bullbars - without checking the full insulation. Just because you have a winch on the 4x4 you bought - it might not have the correct bolts or insulation.
    Thanks for that I actually did a complete examination of my Towbar set up as per this thread

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...57#post3315157

and your points are absolutely valid. It's quite interesting to note that according to my calculations the standard OEM recovery points are not quite up to standard if you apply a safety factor of 3. But the chances are that the kinetic rope will fail first.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2