Jeep JK Death wobble... HELP PLEASE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Jeep JK Death wobble... HELP PLEASE

Hi All
    I need some help, I have a Jeep JK 2.8 Sahara Diesel (50000km) with a death wobble. The Jeep is 100% on all normal roads with no vibration or anything funny, but the moment I hit a bad road or a pothole the wobble start, it was wort but with all the new parts it is allot better, but cab still get the wobble. I have already replaced the following items:
    • Shocks
    • HD Steering Damper
    • Left and Right, upper and lower ball joints
    • Track Bar
    • Tie Rod ends,
    • All ball joints,
    • lower control arms
    • replaced all bolts with thicker 9/16" bolts to ensure there is no play
    • Suspension is 2" spacer lift kit with Caster shimming - caster in in spec 4.5deg.
    • Tyre size are 285/70R17 Coopes all terrain and balanced - but as mentioned on top, on a smooth road the steering and jeep is 100% smooth, tyres are 50% worn and balanced, rims are not buckled

I have checked the wheel bearings but seem fine and because car has low mileage I doubt if its the cause of the wobble, there is no play on the wheel left/right or up/down as well as no bearing noise.... I don`t just want to replace the wheel bearings if its not the fault....

I thought to replace the std coil with 50mm spacer with a aftermarket coil but does not see how this can influence the wobble
    Also no play on the steering box

Any ideas...?? Anything I have missed??

Default Re: Jeep JK Death wobble... HELP PLEASE

TAKE IT TO CORNE AT ZONE OFFROAD. He sorted mine 2 weeks ago. 011 314 0055.
    2012 JK Rubicon (PANDA) ..... because jeep......
    2011 V9X Pathfinder...... because Baby to be onboard

EX 2009 Jimny , tricked to the teeh....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Su-SWYS-ki For This Useful Post:

What did he replace on yours and what did it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    What did he replace on yours and what did it cost?

• HD Steering Damper
    • Track Bar
    • Tie Rod ends,
    • All ball joints,

they were all shot, that was the parts that was replaced, what else they did i am not sure but it is 110% now.

With all you replaced i am sure it is not something major...... they know their stuff and they are in Midrand, so not far from you.
    2012 JK Rubicon (PANDA) ..... because jeep......
    2011 V9X Pathfinder...... because Baby to be onboard

EX 2009 Jimny , tricked to the teeh....

Speedo..

As you know we do repairs on these death wobbles.

This is why we do what we do.... we might be a bit more expencive but we do get the job done and get it sorted. The problem that you sit with if you do not get this sorted is that the new parts that you installed will fail again till you get the cause of the problem sorted.

Corne vd Merwe
    Zone offroad JHB
    www.zoneoffroad.co.za

Best answer, go to Zone Offroad.

It can be something really small as well.

When I had my JK it was trackbar bolt and steering damper, I could see a spot in the road, aim for it and trigger the wobble.

Zone Offroad all the way
    Zone Built JEEP 018
    ORRA AG42
    Ex. Suzuki Jimny (Boskoets)

For what its worth check your spindle flange bolts if you have them. I don't know a thing about the newer Jeeps but on my old CJ5 my spindle flange bolts that bolt the front wheel spindle to the steering knuckle were loose when i stripped the front end. Tightened them up nice when I put it all back together and took off the steering damper I made previously, no more wobbles.

Oh, ok and I did replace my 30 year old BFG's with 90% tread on them also. They were like eggs.

Good luck, I know the feeling.....
    Last edited by MikeTheSpike; 2017/07/12 at 07:05 PM.

et ubi sum ego non sum
    -Use your seat belts!-

Most of the time it's the track bar bolt/bushing where it mounts to the axle.

XJ Junkie, yes on my jeep holes were slightly oval due to the wobble that caused the damage - I have since replace the bolts with slightly thicker bolts... think 9/16" fits better.... also fitted wasser plates drilled to size which was welded to the diff and chassis side to ensure there is zero play.

Which kept me dumbstruck, we compared my jeep to a friend's jeep... mine got zero play... all joints.. links.. ball joints... bushes got zero play.. His jeep all is loose and lots of play on almost all components... and guess... Yes... Ive got the wobble and his jeep is fine... Weird stuff this...

Death wobble is a death defying, pants crap scary experience. You have no control over the vehicle. There is only one way of stopping the wobble, and that is to stop. Up till today i still get a cramp in the neither region if i feel any shake in my Jeep.
    Are we talking about the same thing or is there only a vibration at 80km/h?
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

In my experience, the best way to sort it out properly is to get it done by the team at Zone, they know what to look for, how to fix it, and you are able to get in and drive away in a fixed Jeep. No guessing.
    Flip

Member: 4x4 Action Group - GP0026 & Suzuki4x4GP
    Awesome: Suzuki Jimny;

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    Death wobble is a death defying, pants crap scary experience. You have no control over the vehicle. There is only one way of stopping the wobble, and that is to stop. Up till today i still get a cramp in the neither region if i feel any shake in my Jeep.
    Are we talking about the same thing or is there only a vibration at 80km/h?
    Yip, if it isn't shaking the jelly in your eyes, it isn't death wobble!

Toe? Forget the specs, set at 0 and test. Easy to DIY.
    4 XJs, 2 TJs, 2 KJs, 2 WJs, 2 WKs, 1 XK

2010 JKU Rubicon

Hi All
    I need some help, I have a Jeep JK 2.8 Sahara Diesel (50000km) with a death wobble. The Jeep is 100% on all normal roads with no vibration or anything funny, but the moment I hit a bad road or a pothole the wobble start, it was wort but with all the new parts it is allot better, but cab still get the wobble. I have already replaced the following items:
    • Shocks
    • HD Steering Damper
    • Track Bar
    • Tie Rod ends,
    • All ball joints,
    • lower control arms
    • replaced all bolts with thicker 9/16" bolts to ensure there is no play
    • Suspension is 2" spacer lift kit with Caster shimming - caster in in spec 4.5deg.
    • Tyre size are 285/70R17 Coopes all terrain and balanced - but as mentioned on top, on a smooth road the steering and jeep is 100% smooth, tyres are 50% worn and balanced, rims are not buckled

I have checked the wheel bearings but seem fine and because car has low mileage I doubt if its the cause of the wobble, there is no play on the wheel left/right or up/down as well as no bearing noise.... I don`t just want to replace the wheel bearings if its not the fault....

I thought to replace the std coil with 50mm spacer with a aftermarket coil but does not see how this can influence the wobble
    Also no play on the steering box

Any ideas...?? Anything I have missed??
    Have you tightenend all the bolts while the Jeep was standing on it`s own weight? It sounds like a shimmy to me, death wobble happens on a smooth surface as well. Try a set of tyres from a friend to eliminate tyres as a possible cause.
    JK CRD
    Willys CJ2a
    Yamaha YZ250

I see you in Centurion, just pop in at Zone and gone is your issues!
    Zone Built JEEP 018
    ORRA AG42
    Ex. Suzuki Jimny (Boskoets)

How old are your tyres?

Even though you may have had them balanced, they probably weren't balanced in contact with the road surface. I see balancing of wheels is done in a spindle style and in free air, and weights are applied to minimize the wobble on the spindle. Is this the correct way to balance a road wheel?

They used to do balancing of wheels on the vehicle before, but I don't see much mention of this anymore.

Our wheels are on the road more often than in the air, so why are they not balanced in contact with a surface to reflect true usage conditions under load?

Just a thought.

et ubi sum ego non sum
    -Use your seat belts!-

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlash657 View Post
    Have you tightenend all the bolts while the Jeep was standing on it`s own weight? It sounds like a shimmy to me, death wobble happens on a smooth surface as well. Try a set of tyres from a friend to eliminate tyres as a possible cause.
    All bolts was torqued after the suspension was lowered and settled on the ride height, I'm not sure if one should call this death wobble, or just a wobble or shimming... in fact I dont care about the name... in my books is it a wobble and not a vibration ... might not be deadly but sure is a wobble.
    It only happens when you hit a bad... like really bad patch in the road, normal roads the jeep is perfect. Sometimes it begins after the bad section, and goes away... other times it starts at around 90km/h and you need to slow down and almost stop before the shimming/wobble goes away...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheSpike View Post
    How old are your tyres?

Even though you may have had them balanced, they probably weren't balanced in contact with the road surface. I see balancing of wheels is done in a spindle style and in free air, and weights are applied to minimize the wobble on the spindle. Is this the correct way to balance a road wheel?

They used to do balancing of wheels on the vehicle before, but I don't see much mention of this anymore.

Our wheels are on the road more often than in the air, so why are they not balanced in contact with a surface to reflect true usage conditions under load?

Just a thought.
    True, I recall a tyre shop in Meyerton which did high speed balancing on the vehicle, but with the wheel in the air... worked ten times better than removing the wheel and balance on the machine,
    My tyres has done aroound 40000km... I have balanced them a few times and rotated them... but honestly does not feel like a balancing issue... as mentioned the Jeep is perfect on all roads and only misbehave on bad corrugation or bumps or potholes

Check the toe-in: some places use the TJ Wrangler spec for the JK because a Wrangler is a Wrangler............
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

True, I recall a tyre shop in Meyerton which did high speed balancing on the vehicle, but with the wheel in the air... worked ten times better than removing the wheel and balance on the machine,
    My tyres has done aroound 40000km... I have balanced them a few times and rotated them... but honestly does not feel like a balancing issue... as mentioned the Jeep is perfect on all roads and only misbehave on bad corrugation or bumps or potholes
    Same happened with me and was a combination of worn ball joints, but mostly wheel alighnment and bad tyres. The tyres and bad alignment caused worn ball joints.
    I had alignment done, shimmy has mostly gone away, but the ball joints need replacement.
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7
    Previous Jeeps:
    2012 JKU Rubicon 3.6 V6 on 37's with Synergy 5" Lift Kit with Fox 2.0 Factory Racing Shocks with Synergy Adjustable Control Arms
    2010 JKU Rubicon 3.8 V6 on 35's with Synergy 4" Lift Kit with Fox 2.0 Factory Racing Shocks
    2008 JKU Sahara 2.8 CRD 6sp Man on 33's with Full Traction 3"

22. The Following User Says Thank You to rickJK For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast