Van Reenens Pass Back Route





Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    68
    Posts
    781
    Thanked: 39

    Default Van Reenens Pass Back Route

    Which Turn-off do we take from Gauteng side to go down Van Reenens on the old farm road.
    I think we turn left at the filling station & go round the back of the Green Lantern Inn.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Your mind is your strongest weapon.
    Then there's.....POWER TOOLS!
    '94 LC 80 GX
    '00 Frontier 280DT 4X2
    2002 Sprite Surfer Nomad

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    42
    Posts
    41
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Van Reenens Pass Back Route


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    68
    Posts
    781
    Thanked: 39

    Default Re: Van Reenens Pass Back Route

    Thanks, I saw those from Robbie (Tygrve) on the caravan forum some time back, but they only allow watching the vids for a couple of days, or pay R 200 a year to join the mountain passes forum.
    Your mind is your strongest weapon.
    Then there's.....POWER TOOLS!
    '94 LC 80 GX
    '00 Frontier 280DT 4X2
    2002 Sprite Surfer Nomad

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,629
    Thanked: 472

    Default Re: Van Reenens Pass Back Route

    When do you plan to drive the route? I have track logs that I can email to you. Just send me a PM with your email.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    38
    Posts
    638
    Thanked: 76

    Default Re: Van Reenens Pass Back Route

    Quote Originally Posted by JCMN View Post
    This is brilliant!!!
    I cant figure out where do you turn off the N3 to get onto this pass though.
    Its not about how fast you are but about how quick you get there...


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    JHB South
    Age
    33
    Posts
    54
    Thanked: 58

    Default Re: Van Reenens Pass Back Route

    Quote Originally Posted by Die$eL View Post
    This is brilliant!!!
    I cant figure out where do you turn off the N3 to get onto this pass though.
    The safest is to go through Van Reenen "town" i.e. exit at the garage, and either turn right to go through the town, or continue straight (instead of turning right to the town), and turn right on the gravel road after crossing the railway (few hundred metres on, not far).

    There is another exit left off the N3 on the sharp right bend after the garage and downhill with cameras, but it's not a particularly safe exit. It does however bypass the town and lower income area.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,629
    Thanked: 472

    Default Re: Van Reenens Pass Back Route

    Here is a start for the route. The road is also on Tracks4Africa. I see o the map it looks as if one can get to the road from behind the Caltex past the Van Reenen Railway Station also. I have not driven this section.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	174988.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	452967
    Last edited by Daniek; 2017/07/06 at 09:08 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    JHB South
    Age
    33
    Posts
    54
    Thanked: 58

    Default Re: Van Reenens Pass Back Route

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    Here is a start for the route. The road is also on Tracks4Africa. I see o the map it looks as if one can get to the road from behind the Caltex past the Van Reenen Railway Station also. I have not driven this section.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	174988.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	452967

    This is the other exit I was referring to. When the highway is busy, it's not ideal to exit here, although you can. Just my opinion.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,629
    Thanked: 472

    Default Re: Van Reenens Pass Back Route

    Agreed. One can only start the route here if you come from Gauteng and you can only exit here if you want to go down to Durban.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	197105.jpeg 
Views:	179 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	452983

    This Streetview image is facing the start from Gauteng side.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    38
    Posts
    638
    Thanked: 76

    Default Re: Van Reenens Pass Back Route

    Excellent! Thank you all! I will be sure to try it and will post pics once I do.
    Its not about how fast you are but about how quick you get there...


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    68
    Posts
    781
    Thanked: 39

    Default Re: Van Reenens Pass Back Route

    Quote Originally Posted by TimK View Post
    The safest is to go through Van Reenen "town" i.e. exit at the garage, and either turn right to go through the town, or continue straight (instead of turning right to the town), and turn right on the gravel road after crossing the railway (few hundred metres on, not far).

    There is another exit left off the N3 on the sharp right bend after the garage and downhill with cameras, but it's not a particularly safe exit. It does however bypass the town and lower income area.
    Thanks Tim, sorry this is so late, but my main frame computer does, not work the forum any more, so I'm using my laptop every few days.
    From the other answers, it seems quite easy and we'll be going through the town just to see what's there after how many trips rushing through to & from Durbs.
    We leave tomorrow early (Sat. 8th.)
    I'll report back after I return on Tuesday.
    Thanks all!!
    Your mind is your strongest weapon.
    Then there's.....POWER TOOLS!
    '94 LC 80 GX
    '00 Frontier 280DT 4X2
    2002 Sprite Surfer Nomad

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    JHB South
    Age
    33
    Posts
    54
    Thanked: 58

    Default Re: Van Reenens Pass Back Route

    Quote Originally Posted by steamer View Post
    Thanks Tim, sorry this is so late, but my main frame computer does, not work the forum any more, so I'm using my laptop every few days.
    From the other answers, it seems quite easy and we'll be going through the town just to see what's there after how many trips rushing through to & from Durbs.
    We leave tomorrow early (Sat. 8th.)
    I'll report back after I return on Tuesday.
    Thanks all!!
    Enjoy, it's a beautiful area and the road wasn't bad at all when I last drove it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    68
    Posts
    781
    Thanked: 39

    Default Re: Van Reenens Pass Back Route

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    When do you plan to drive the route? I have track logs that I can email to you. Just send me a PM with your email.
    Thanks Danie, I actually meant the above reply to you.
    Sounds quite simple.
    Your mind is your strongest weapon.
    Then there's.....POWER TOOLS!
    '94 LC 80 GX
    '00 Frontier 280DT 4X2
    2002 Sprite Surfer Nomad

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Wall
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,692
    Thanked: 1676

    Default Re: Van Reenens Pass Back Route

    Quote Originally Posted by steamer View Post
    Thanks, I saw those from Robbie (Tygrve) on the caravan forum some time back, but they only allow watching the vids for a couple of days, or pay R 200 a year to join the mountain passes forum.
    Are you crazy?

    Stop giving Dirk ideas.....
    "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold."




  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    68
    Posts
    781
    Thanked: 39

    Default Re: Van Reenens Pass Back Route

    Well, back from our sojourn down the back end of Van Reenen!
    We decided to go round the back of the service station. After getting to a bit a dead end through the town past the inn, we back-tracked and turned right straight after crossing the railway line & went through the township.
    Lovely, scenic drive until the damned google maps told us to turn right, which was in fact a shortcut, cutting out the tunnel etc.
    I had put the town of Besters in as a destination, so we ended the excursion on the Ladysmith road and had to go through 2 tolls to get back onto the N3 towards Estcourt.
    Anyway, I'll certainly do it again and get to see the old railway.

    Thanks for all your inputs.
    Your mind is your strongest weapon.
    Then there's.....POWER TOOLS!
    '94 LC 80 GX
    '00 Frontier 280DT 4X2
    2002 Sprite Surfer Nomad

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Potch/Brits
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,215
    Thanked: 581

    Default Re: Van Reenens Pass Back Route

    Do you have some pictures?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •