Another campsite hijacking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Another campsite hijacking.

We were booked into #3 at Deception Pan at the beginning of last week. We were a bit late off the blocks and only arrived quite close to 4pm.
    When we got to the site, there was someone else set up with a camp that looked like they had brought everything along including the kitchen sink.

When we approached them the man claimed to have booked this site and when we pulled out our form to show him our booking he went to get his papers. He became quite agitated shuffling through various documents. He 1st claimed he had booked through bigfoot and then claimed that he had booked this site at the gate and DWNP computer systems were down and so could not get a form. He later amended this to say that the gate had told him the site was empty and he could camp anywhere. He was very critical of the DWNP gate and blamed them for the 'double booking'. He said they had been at #3 for 4 nights and was leaving for piper the next day. I could see his green DWNP booking form but in the end he refused to show it to me, so i you;don't verify it.

We was not at all friendly or willing to entertain the suggestion he was in the wrong.

This has not happened to us before and I was not certain on what to do - we did a quick scout around and all the other sites were full. #3 is quite big, so we ended up camping just off the site. I don't think it would have been possible to pack up all his paraphernalia before dark.

We were a little tense about it, and when it became dark their site was quite brightly lit with solar lights. My partner went to speak to them, and during the course of the conversation he acknowledged they had no booking and appeared to admit to her that they do this quite often (take other peoples campsite bookings) . In the end she dumped a cup of soapy water on his head. They went to bed shortly after and left 1st thing the next morning.

When we got to Matswere gate, we were told by the parks officials they don't take bookings at the gate and after a little investigation it appeared that he had bookings for Sunday, Deception and Piper - it appeared that he had a night in the middle where he had not managed to get a booking and obviously took a chance that it would stay empty. The DWNP guys seemed to have no difficulty in phoning and confirming the bookings and a lady from Bigfoot was there as well.

This guy (& he had children and grandparents with him) must have known in advance he had a gap in the middle and decided to take a chance. If he had explained his predicament to us we would have been more accommodating. We didn't want to share our site, but given the late time would not have forced him to move.

It ended up leaving us with a sour taste which was a pity because I have read a lot about the remoteness of the CKGR and this was a reason for going. I'm not sure how this should have been handled. It takes a bit of effort to put a trip together and very frustrating that someone can just commandeer your site. I hope DWNP can come up with a mechanism to deal with this.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duncs For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Another campsite hijacking.

I would have been livid, not for him taking a chance, but for all the bulldust spouted out of his mouth. We can all be accommodating as we don't know when we might be in a situation ourselves, but to try and deceive is just wrong. I would have without qualms named and shamed with pics.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

I dont know if you had a sateline phone, because if u had one, you should have called DWNP immediately and they would have dispersed an officer to the scene. I think we are tolerating this B.S and its getting out of control. We spend alot of time planning, phoning, replying email at some very high costs and somebody can just come and spoil our holidays. Its time we show this people that booking is not only a MUST but they shouldnt ever try camp hijacking.
    Last edited by PAT n WOLF; 2017/07/04 at 11:57 AM.

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

All the more reason to make sure if possible in any way to arrive as early as possible to kick out these cuckoo campers.
    There is no way to totally prevent this on your side, best is to find a way to mitigate it.
    The above is all advice I have VS cuckoo's.

If one guy gets away with it, the next gay see this and come next opportunity he also try.
    The problem is not so much when they get lucky and nobody arrives resulting in them getting away with it...
    The problem sits with when they are caught by the real booking owner -and nothing gets done besides shrugs and uncomfortable discussions all round.

There need to be consequences.
    A Banned list with all vehicle regs and owner's ID numbers.
    Immediate pack up and dismissed from camp.

No real consequences = no stopping cuckooing.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

I agree with the soapy water christening

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hylton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    I dont know if you had a sateline phone, because if u had one, you should have called DWNP immediately and they would have dispersed an officer to the scene. I think we are tolerating this B.S and its getting out of control.
    This exactly how I would handle the situation, and I'm pretty sure that once you pull out that phone and start dialing they will start packing.
    High jacking is jus not acceptable
    DWNP are very accommodating bye the way , on our last trip they even brought our spare wheel to us which had fallen off unnoticed in a mud hole near the gate.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Henk67 For This Useful Post:

I would likewise phone the gate with my sat. phone. Not because he was in a pickle with nowhere else to stay but because of his attitude and lying. DWNP would have sorted this out quick quick. Sharing a campsite for one night is not the end of the world but with more people feeling able to visit CKGR it is up to the rest of us to try and change this pattern of unacceptable behavior.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2017/07/04 at 12:24 PM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Would it be too late to report the guy now?
    Or was that done already?

This almost happened to us a few years back.

Got to Piper late afternoon and found a couple on our campsite busy settling in but luckily got there just in time for them to have enough time to move onto the next "unoccupied" campsite.

I agree with the previous posts, there should be consequences for just taking what others have spent weeks planning and paid for.

I think if they could streamline their booking system and make it easier for people to make bookings this wouldn't happen.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Quote Originally Posted by Duncs View Post

When we got to Matswere gate, we were told by the parks officials they don't take bookings at the gate and after a little investigation it appeared that he had bookings for Sunday, Deception and Piper - it appeared that he had a night in the middle where he had not managed to get a booking and obviously took a chance that it would stay empty...

So he had to check out and back in again if he didnt have a booking for one night, but how does the DWNP officials manage this?
    Basically impossible due to lack of systems, communication and distances....disrespectful individuals exploit this situation
    2007 Fortuner 3 D4D, 4x4
    2015 Ford Ranger 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    If one guy gets away with it, the next gay see this and come next opportunity he also try.
    The problem is not so much when they get lucky and nobody arrives resulting in them getting away with it...
    The problem sits with when they are caught by the real booking owner -and nothing gets done besides shrugs and uncomfortable discussions all round.
    Quite frankly, this is the reason I stopped visiting the Richtersveld. It became a free-to-do-as-you-want as far as bookings go.

When folks do not get a booking at De Hoop where they want to be, they take any other booking, such as Potjiespram, then just drive past and go pull in any spot at De Hoop.

The staff just had no control, or no intention to exercise the control they have... and it's not near as big an area as CKGR.
    Live.
    Love.
    Laugh.

André Opperman

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

Name and shame. Post photos and details of the person on here, type of car, registration number etc. Chances are always there that someone knows him.

Don't want to say much more, will be called a suurgat.
    Stephan
    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

We didn't have a satellite phone and the gate is quite a long way. the DWNP staff at the gate assured me they would take the matter further. I think the bit that made me feel the worst was the sense that someone was trying to pull the wool over my eyes... think we would have felt differently if he was being honest about a mess up. Thanks.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duncs For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Duncs View Post
    We didn't have a satellite phone and the gate is quite a long way. the DWNP staff at the gate assured me they would take the matter further. I think the bit that made me feel the worst was the sense that someone was trying to pull the wool over my eyes... think we would have felt differently if he was being honest about a mess up. Thanks.
    Exactly that. My money for my trips comes hard, we don't work in a an easy industry. To have some one even try a stunt like this just as you said, leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Sure he was in a spot, but then why be dishonest.

If he could not get a spot then he knew the site was booked. I would have ran around naked and played loud music swearing at the top of my voice.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    . I would have ran around naked and played loud music swearing at the top of my voice.
    ...so... you would have carried on as usual?

Quote Originally Posted by RraBots View Post
    ...so... you would have carried on as usual?
    Far worse than anything Wes Craven could think of, you would never sleep again.

BMW R1200R

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Eish, Rrabots
    You have a way of making Stranger and myself blurt out all our secrets.

Very sorry Duncs, been in the same situation, book one year in advance and someone pitches camp in your space.

Travelling long distances in the day gets us late to camp, tired hot and bothered (Defender) then you must still have this ?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to imgreg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    I would have ran around naked and played loud music swearing at the top of my voice.
    Be careful there are bees flying around...

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

@ Duncs, my apologies, but honestly if you saw this would you stay ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BMW R1200R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast