Canopies with full back door as opposed to flip-up door

Question Canopies with full back door as opposed to flip-up door

I see many of the 4x4 rental companies have canopies with a full back door (no window). The locking mechanism is similar to delivery truck backdoors.
    I suspect it might seal better (dust proving) but you loose out on a back window. A reverse camera can sort this. Also more secure.

Would there be any reason in having a canopy with a full backdoor as opposed to the normal flip-up door?
    Groot berge en lang grondpaaie

Default Re: Canopies with full back door as opposed to flip-up door

Many years ago I had a Hilux with a steel canopy with the door as you described. (TerryCanopy Nigel). It is the one where the tailgate gets removed.

Main problem is the fact that big items do not fit through that door !

It does make a good seal to the bak. I would not say completely dustproof but much better than the tailgate with the flip-up door.

Last edited by KobusDJ; 2017/07/04 at 08:34 AM.
    Kobus

As said big items don't fit.
    Also you don't realise how many times you use the tailgate as a quick table or chair until its no longer there.

You have trouble opening it if you tow anything worth towing.
    Other than that - it's down to preference.
    Generally speaking they cost more and is a nuisance to store if you swap between having it on\off , so you don't see them as often in private vehicles.

had both ...

tailgate IS handy, from loading to a quick table etc etc ...

but as a CAMPER - the full door make access much easier. Had no dust issues with the full doors (had two of these over the years)

But YES - for a daily driver, all purpose bakkie, that full door LIMITS what you can load !!!

Have full door on camper without a windows. No dust.
    No windows in the back of the camper which limits heat in the back from sun/light, so fridge/freezer works a lot more economically.
    Previous half doors, plenty dust.
    With back windows in the canopy you have a lot of heat build up from sun/light in the back which results in a harder working power hungry fridge/freezer.
    Feel the difference in the temperature in your vehicle parked in the sun as compared to the boot which has no windows...

Interesting comments. Haven't thought about the back window and heat buildup.
    The other issue with having a window in the back is the possibility of theft (assuming there are no windows on the side).
    My tailgate does get used as a seat/table a lot but could live without it. One can always fit a fold-down flap on inside of the door that can serve as a table

I use a fold down table from the side of my vehicle at the back, behind the back wheel. My vehicle is a designated Camper, so the canopy/camper body is never removed. It is easily opened and closed and I have no theft or packing away issues, as the table is a fixture. The table is very stable because of this and does not take 5 seconds to deploy.
    I have fitted two similar tables to my off road caravan, one on each side behind the back wheel. These are a bit smaller, as the caravan is a bit lower than the camper, which affects the table size.
    I also made a similar table for my prevous overlanding vehicle.
    The only negatives are the drilling of holes into the back fender and that you cannot cart your table around to places that your vehicle cannot get to (someone is also sure to add that there would be wind resistance as well, but for the amount of wind resitance, this is irrevalent to me, for the ease of use andstability of the table).
    On most other tables, drinks are spilt and things are knocked off the table by a light bump agains it...

This is the nice thing about all these setups. Each person has a configuration that works for their requirements.
    I have seen a setup where fold down tables were fitted behind the spare wheels (that were on foldaway swingarms on the rear bumper).

Personally, we use a separate table. Easier for our camping use

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pietas For This Useful Post:

We had a Hilux with one of those doors in our group recently, it afforded easy access to the drawer system that was installed and it was wide enough to load anything in the back. Also, the 2nd sparewheel was mounted on it so it swung on the door when you opened it. No brackets or arms that had to be swung away before you could open the canopy door. I also think it's practical if you have a RTT installed on your canopy. Sorry this is the only pic I could find of it 🤦🏻#♀️

Camping enthusiast. Overlanding addict. Child of Africa. Nature lover. DIY fanatic. 44 novice.
    Wife to one, mother to two. Happy lady who camps.