Default Sodwana to Kosi bay

Morning people, hope all is well!

Are there any safety concerns for us (2 families - Range Rover, 80 series Cruiser) driving up the backroads from Sodwana to Kosi Bay (see route below)?

Something like elements blocking/barcading road and when you get out to clear you get overwhelmed and they beeline with your rig for the Moz border (when I read that it seem awfully paranoid)

Any info much appreciated!

Regards,
    Stephan.

Default Re: Sodwana to Kosi bay

There has been some issues (hijackings) in the past in the coastal forest area but I heard there were some arrests and the syndicate was broken up. The other thing is your vehicles are not on the priority list of vehicles sought for these people so I would say go for it but do not let all your guard down and enjoy it is a beautiful route.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly AND FOR THE SAME REASON
    Save the rhino kill a poacher
    1973 Series IIA 109 (Jorrie)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shemula For This Useful Post:

Dont travel alone, 2 cars minimum. We werent alowed to visit nine mile beach without a armed guard in April of this year.
    2007 Fortuner 3 D4D, 4x4
    2015 Ford Ranger 2.2

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hardekool For This Useful Post:

Aggenee! That is sad. Was so looking forward to the drive. Ai, such exquisite beauty being spoilt by arseholes!

Thanks for the info Shemula (Ernie) and Hardekool.

Would rather not risk it. Such a shame!

Thanks
    Stephan.

You can skip the Lake Sibaya area and enter from Rocktail bay - still a nice drive from there to Bhanga nek. Go out past the Coastal cashews plantation and enter from there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dewald Posthumus; 2017/07/03 at 10:53 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewald Posthumus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Druss View Post
    Aggenee! That is sad. Was so looking forward to the drive. Ai, such exquisite beauty being spoilt by arseholes!

Thanks for the info Shemula (Ernie) and Hardekool.

Would rather not risk it. Such a shame!

Thanks
    Stephan.
    I would not write it off as an option entirely-but each person has their own level of responsibility to attend to. You will decide what is best.

Just to note that any route you take in the area will have some level of risk, but I think with 2 well running and geared up vehicles (and a good dose of situational awareness and preparedness) you could do the Sibayi route fairly safely-there is a lovely place to stop on the lakeshore and even swim in the shallows if you like ( do beware of hippos and crocs, but the large sandbank and clear shallow water are very inviting, and fairly safe to my mind if you keep aware. If you do drive this route-and generally anywhere in the area on tracks-beware of the blind rise surprise-cow/pedestrian/kids/oncoming vehicle -and , of course-the remotely possible ambush situation.

Generally, wherever you are in Maputaland, you need to be aware, try not to leave your car unattended, and be smart about valuables.

The area is wonderful to explore, so if you set yourselves up correctly to drive safe and be safe, you can relax and enjoy.

Enjoy!
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

I agree with Patrick L. The lake Sibaya route is very special, driving through coastal forest. Do it in a pair, and you'll be fine. It can be narrow in sections, so look out for oncoming vehicles

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew D For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    I would not write it off as an option entirely-but each person has their own level of responsibility to attend to. You will decide what is best.

Just to note that any route you take in the area will have some level of risk, but I think with 2 well running and geared up vehicles (and a good dose of situational awareness and preparedness) you could do the Sibayi route fairly safely-there is a lovely place to stop on the lakeshore and even swim in the shallows if you like ( do beware of hippos and crocs, but the large sandbank and clear shallow water are very inviting, and fairly safe to my mind if you keep aware. If you do drive this route-and generally anywhere in the area on tracks-beware of the blind rise surprise-cow/pedestrian/kids/oncoming vehicle -and , of course-the remotely possible ambush situation.

Generally, wherever you are in Maputaland, you need to be aware, try not to leave your car unattended, and be smart about valuables.

The area is wonderful to explore, so if you set yourselves up correctly to drive safe and be safe, you can relax and enjoy.

Enjoy!
    Thank you sir for the awesome info! It is greatly appreciated, and the safety pointers noted.

Via Cruiser forum a contractor building in the area confirmed no major incident of late and that with the correct level of responsibility and, as you said, awareness we should be fine.

We are planning to leave late morning (some of the party goes diving in the early morning), make our way up to Kosi Bay Lodge and then return via inland tar road go Sodwana.

Again, thanks to everybody for all the info. I'll try to take some nice (all be it cellphone) photos of the area and track.

Thanks,
    Stephan.

Stephan the route is very much worth it to drive, what everyone said is valid, I dont think this trip should be started late morning as in 10:00 and later. Rather start at 07:00, it will be a lekker day of slow driving 30km/h max for the sand tracks.

Where in Sodwana will you stay?

Also you wont gain any time by skipping sibaya and taking the plantation road north of mbazwana eastwards.

That area is beautiful to drive and i would recommend it to anyone going that way. We did it early December of last year, and despite the track being overgrown a lot near Sibaya, the further north you go the better the route was maintained. Yes there has been some issues in the past at 9 mile, and 4-5 years ago we also had to take a guard with a shotgun with. But i personally think that keeping a good level of situational awareness will get you out of most situations if they arise. We mostly do day trips from Sodwana to Blackrock and back. Starting early morning and spending a bit of time at Blackrock will probably mean that you will have to take the main road(R22) back, and then still only arrive back at sodwana by 6-7pm.

We did this route in May but the other way round with my L/cruiser and My trailervan with no problem . We did it during and just after that heavy rainfall ( 300 - 400 mm) .

Hi.
    We went to 9mile and Mabibi yesterday and loved it. There was a situation where a person got stuck on the road to Mabibi. They got stuck for 2 hours until we arrived. We managed to get the Jeep out. With some damage unfortunately. He got himself in a bad situation.

The road there and back was amazing. Going to Kosi bay tomorrow.
    See ye.
    Amarok TDi Bi
    132kw 4 Motion

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    Hi.
    We went to 9mile and Mabibi yesterday and loved it. There was a situation where a person got stuck on the road to Mabibi. They got stuck for 2 hours until we arrived. We managed to get the Jeep out. With some damage unfortunately. He got himself in a bad situation.

The road there and back was amazing. Going to Kosi bay tomorrow.
    See ye.
    When did you artive there? I got there on Saturday afternoon and came back on Monday as the place we stayed in was really disgusting and ruined the whole week for us.
    Last edited by Duster Jack; 2017/07/05 at 05:16 PM.
    2015 Renault Duster 4WD
    1999 Jeep Cherokee Country XJ face lift
    Action Group member AG0029

Quote Originally Posted by Duster Jack View Post
    When did you artive there? I got there on Saturday afternoon and came back on Monday as the place we stayed in was really disgusting and ruined the whole week for us.
    Hi. We are staying at Sodwana bay lodge. It has always been good at the lodge. We went to Kosi Bay yesterday and LOVED IT!
    Amarok TDi Bi
    132kw 4 Motion

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    Hi. We are staying at Sodwana bay lodge. It has always been good at the lodge. We went to Kosi Bay yesterday and LOVED IT!
    wish I was there We stayed at Sodwana view Holiday Homes. what a disappointment. Never again.
    Visit piceice diving and chat to Robin. She'll give you directions to A bery nice and quick way to lake sibaya, no gates etc. Very nice lady,
    2015 Renault Duster 4WD
    1999 Jeep Cherokee Country XJ face lift
    Action Group member AG0029

Hi All Sorry to revive an old thread - but this came up on the search. Are there still safety concerns driving from Kosi to Sodwana ?

Quote Originally Posted by Slowones View Post
    Hi All Sorry to revive an old thread - but this came up on the search. Are there still safety concerns driving from Kosi to Sodwana ?
    I am also heading there on Monday (12/07/2021) and I would appreciate any feedback of the current situation

I think the current situation is explosive.
    HENK

Default Sodwana to Kosi bay

I think there is a concerted attempt to show the province is ungovernable with Zuma in jail. So upsets and flash mobs could be anywhere, particularly where police are thin on the ground.

Before you travel you should phone the local police or security companies, and get an update. I think Alpha security have operations locally, with an office in Hluhluwe. Try them for an update before traveling
    Last edited by Andrew D; 2021/07/11 at 03:27 PM.