Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Advice on first car in SA

Quote Originally Posted by Crosenvold View Post
    Dear all,

• Capable of doing infrequent (once or twice a year) long road trips to Zambia etc. (very rarely, if ever, doing serious off-roading/bouldering)
    Crosenvold, You are talking about long distances. The Jimny is one of the best examples of the extremes of the swing of the pendulum. It is brilliant on slow, difficult terrain, but at highwy open road speed, especially in windy conditions, the pendulum hits red on the opposite side. May I suggest that you hire a Jimny and do a 400 kilometer round trip with it. Then take any inexpensive small car such as a Ford Figo, Renault Clio or VW Vivo and do a similar trip. If you still want to keep the Jimny on your list then your taste in driving experience definately differs from mine.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Having one vehicle to do all these things well unfortunately there will always be a compromise in some department and most of us will promote what we have had in life from our personal experience and perspective.

My first car was a Toyota conquest 1.3l paid 19k secondhand more than 20 years ago
    had a few thousand on the clock when it was time to sell I managed to get back what I paid for it. I don't belive Toyota's are the best out there but if you manage to purchase one at a good price well below retail... and they are out there... you will get your moneis back or close to it.

You only will be doing around 6000 km per year so could possible look at something with more millage as your run around in JHB. and Still purchase a older 4x4 for your trips if and when. People will tell you Toyota's are high risk for theft but the truth is they steal anything and thier are alot more toyota's on the road than other brands so the stats lead to thier downfall. Get insurance and protect yourself against any mishap.

Thats my perspective 😊

good luck and go with your gut feel
    Getting There Slowly 😜

I love the Jimny - often rented one in Indo and Thailand. I am concerned, however, about their safety in a collision.

Brand new Renault Steepway??
    Isuzu KB300 2012 Auto - KingHyundai Grand10 1.2 Auto - Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Riddim View Post
    I love the Jimny - often rented one in Indo and Thailand. I am concerned, however, about their safety in a collision.
    Don't be too worried. I was in a huge semi- head-on with one, rolled several times and got out literally without a scratch. The paramedics were looking for the driver refusing to believe it was me.
    Dewald

What would you expect the yearly maintenance cost of these to be (keeping in mind that I will get a used version at ~200k)?
    [*]Renault Duster
    It won't cost you much. Unlike the others, the R200k Duster should still be within its 150k/5 year warranty as well.

Parts basket is the cheapest in its class.

R200k should get you a 2014 4WD with less than 75k on the clock.

I was facing a similar decision to yours at the beginning of last year, although I stay in Cape Town. With a budget of around 150k, I was initially looking at something like a Polo Vivo, basically something mainly used for commuting and occasional weekends away for me and my wife (we're both in our late 20's). I however really wanted something capable of going offroad, but didn't think this was an option as all the 4x4's in that price range were quite old and had a lot of km's.

Someone told me to look into the older Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 DiD SWB and, following quite a bit of research, I realised what a good reputation these vehicles have, both in terms of reliability as well as capability. And it looks great too.

I eventually found a 2005, gen 3 Pajero with +-130 000 km on the clock which was in immaculate condition. I bought it straight away and haven't had a single regret since. With your budget of 200k you should be able to pick up a 2008 or newer gen 4 Pajero, which has some improvements from the gen 3. While these are almost 10 years old and should have around 150-200 000 km on the clock, they are incredibly reliable (have a read through the Mitsubishi forum of the site), and if you're patient you might find one with very low mileage.

Both my wife and I love driving the vehicle. You basically get a premium SUV from 10 years ago for less than the cost of a new VW Polo. It averages about 8-9km/l in city traffic, and 10-11km/l on the open road, which is fair when comparing it to 4x4's of that era. Just don't think about the 3.8 V6 in SWB - from what I hear you're lucky to get 6km/l and the size of the fuel tank limits the range of the vehicle severely.

Packing space is limited in the SWB, which is probably the only thing I would like to improve. However, if it's just 2 of you then you can easily flip up or take out the rear seats, which creates more than enough space. Alternatively a roof rack is always an option. Or you could consider the LWB option which has tonnes of space, performs the same and costs the same, but in my opinion it looks more like a "dad-car" (for lack of a better word) and is less appealing to me.

They are extremely competent 4x4's and are ideal if you're looking at doing trips up in africa.

I'm yet to meet a Pajero owner who regrets their purchase and for what I wanted, and within my budget, this was by far the best option for me.

Hope this helps

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wannan For This Useful Post:

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Quote Originally Posted by wannan View Post
    I was facing a similar decision to yours at the beginning of last year, although I stay in Cape Town. With a budget of around 150k, I was initially looking at something like a Polo Vivo, basically something mainly used for commuting and occasional weekends away for me and my wife (we're both in our late 20's). I however really wanted something capable of going offroad, but didn't think this was an option as all the 4x4's in that price range were quite old and had a lot of km's.

Someone told me to look into the older Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 DiD SWB and, following quite a bit of research, I realised what a good reputation these vehicles have, both in terms of reliability as well as capability. And it looks great too.

I eventually found a 2005, gen 3 Pajero with +-130 000 km on the clock which was in immaculate condition. I bought it straight away and haven't had a single regret since. With your budget of 200k you should be able to pick up a 2008 or newer gen 4 Pajero, which has some improvements from the gen 3. While these are almost 10 years old and should have around 150-200 000 km on the clock, they are incredibly reliable (have a read through the Mitsubishi forum of the site), and if you're patient you might find one with very low mileage.

Both my wife and I love driving the vehicle. You basically get a premium SUV from 10 years ago for less than the cost of a new VW Polo. It averages about 8-9km/l in city traffic, and 10-11km/l on the open road, which is fair when comparing it to 4x4's of that era. Just don't think about the 3.8 V6 in SWB - from what I hear you're lucky to get 6km/l and the size of the fuel tank limits the range of the vehicle severely.

Packing space is limited in the SWB, which is probably the only thing I would like to improve. However, if it's just 2 of you then you can easily flip up or take out the rear seats, which creates more than enough space. Alternatively a roof rack is always an option. Or you could consider the LWB option which has tonnes of space, performs the same and costs the same, but in my opinion it looks more like a "dad-car" (for lack of a better word) and is less appealing to me.

They are extremely competent 4x4's and are ideal if you're looking at doing trips up in africa.

I'm yet to meet a Pajero owner who regrets their purchase and for what I wanted, and within my budget, this was by far the best option for me.

Hope this helps
    I can only second this post.
    Our first vehicle in SA was a Pajero.
    The next vehicle, after we traveled 150.000 km through Africa, was a Pajero.

Hmm I was also thinking of a vw polo. Small economical and if the car hire companies are anything to go by, one of the best 4x4s. You can quite happily go to Malawi and Botswana and a lot of africa without a big 4x4.
    Obviously going through the the Okavango delta is probably not ideal in that case.
    The big 4x4s are nice but you are probably in for much higher fuel consumption, tire prices and service costs. Still you have some nice options at your age. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The Pajero is an excellent choice, I had a SWB 3.2 for 2.5 years and it was the best vehicle I've ever owned! Exceptionally reliable and its tough as nails. Spares can be expensive (clutch on manual) abs pump, diesel pump etc but if well maintained you should be good, this can happen on any car, but these things do happen! Spend less than R200k and invest the rest for 'in case'.

A Suzuki (Vitara or Jimny) is also an excellent choice! Cheap to maintain and super reliable! My mate was in exact same predicament as you, and bought the Grand Vitara, he is super stoked and loves it!

I would buy a proper 4x4 (with low range excl Amarok ) because if you need it you have it!

I would stay clear of the older Audi's, BMW's and even the Jeep. My own opinion if I was in your shoes. Some people will definitely disagree, although I imagine most would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun8500 View Post
    I would stay clear of the older Audi's, BMW's and even the Jeep. My own opinion if I was in your shoes. Some people will definitely disagree, although I imagine most would agree.
    Why would you stay clear of those three brands?

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    I can only second this post.
    Our first vehicle in SA was a Pajero.
    The next vehicle, after we traveled 150.000 km through Africa, was a Pajero.
    What's the resale value? If I buy one w. >100,000km on the clock and drive it for a few years, will I have trouble reselling it at a reasonable price?

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    I second an (older) Grand Vitara or a (newer) Jimny. Neither are fast but will do what you describe with ease.
    Another +1 vote for me.
    Either Jimny or Grand Vitara for the R200 000.
    Jimny is slow...but it's fine.
    You can buy newish with low mileage and probably still under a warranty / service plan if you go with Jimny and Grand Vitaras.
    There are more exciting vehicles for sure but not a lot of them makes more sense.

The Duster is also a good buy but no Low Range.

HOWEVER, you can find Jeep Wranglers for R200K but then they have some mileage on them or Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokees. It depends if you want the fuel bills or not.
    The Jeep Cherokee KK is a great reliable Jeep with very underrated but good offroad ability. It's not a rocketship and a bit heavy on petrol but you can find ones with 50 000km or so on for under R200k with all the creature comforts.

http://www.autotrader.co.za/used-car...HJ1ZS9zZWFyY2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbgxCubWuBk

FWIW, I trust BMW's. No one Ive known had major issues with them, and I've owned Jeeps. No major problems at all.
    Last edited by Nox; 2017/07/04 at 11:00 AM.
    Mitsubishi ASX AWD top spec. - stock
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i - OME lift on 33" muds, bullbar, racks, freeflow.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK - Mud terain 32's, Spacers, Lift kit, GDE Tune.
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK - Mud terain tyres. Aftermarket mufflers.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK - 40mm EFS lift, Mud terrain tyres, Spacers, skids.
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ - 40mm spacer lift
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ - EFS lift, ARB bullbar, Custom Maniac Rocksliders, Mud tyres, etc etc.

Be cautious of Renault in any form. I know quite a few people who have had to wait for long periods for parts to arrive. Most recently a VERY new Duster that hit a jackal and broke something small under the car and he had to sit without a car for more than 60days before the parts arrived. I would go for a Suzuki, but then I am biased.😁 love my v6 Vitara.
    2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6
    2012 GWM Steed 5 DC 4x4 TCI - Sold
    2002 Isuzu Frontier 280dt LX 4x4 - Sold
    2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1.6 3dr - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    Another +1 vote for me.
    Either Jimny or Grand Vitara for the R200 000.
    Jimny is slow...but it's fine.
    You can buy newish with low mileage and probably still under a warranty / service plan if you go with Jimny and Grand Vitaras.
    There are more exciting vehicles for sure but not a lot of them makes more sense.

The Duster is also a good buy but no Low Range.

HOWEVER, you can find Jeep Wranglers for R200K but then they have some mileage on them or Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokees. It depends if you want the fuel bills or not.
    The Jeep Cherokee KK is a great reliable Jeep with very underrated but good offroad ability. It's not a rocketship and a bit heavy on petrol but you can find ones with 50 000km or so on for under R200k with all the creature comforts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbgxCubWuBk

FWIW, I trust BMW's. No one Ive known had major issues with them, and I've owned Jeeps. No major problems at all.
    The Cherokee looks like a steal! How would you expect maintenance costs to be on that?

Why would you stay clear of those three brands?
    Only because I know if something goes wrong they can be very expensive to fix. And they unfortunately do go wrong, there's no arguing that. And also the Audi and BMW aren't proper 4wd's. With a price range of R200k you will get ones with high mileage out of warranty. With the Jeep I should have specified the 2.8crd, I think our poor diesel has an effect on this. The 3.8 and 3.6 Jeep's are awesome and seem pretty reliable and maintenance a lot better than 2.8. Please its only my opinion verse others, its just what we see come through the workshop. I'm sure there are loads of owners who have had no issues whatsoever!

However I still believe, like the others have all said, the Grand Vitara, Jimny, or Pajero is your best bet.

Pieter Torlage Guest

Thank you all for the replies!

It seems that there is broad consensus around three cars. What would you expect the yearly maintenance cost of these to be (keeping in mind that I will get a used version at ~200k)?
    • Renault Duster
    • Suzuki Jimny (which I must admit, my 23 year-old ego is not a fan of)
    • Suzuki Grand Vitara

And in terms of actually needing the 4x4 capabilities:
    Would it make more sense to get a city car (e.g. Audi A5 w. 90,000km) and then rent a 4x4 for the infrequent overland trips?
    Your best bet would be Suzuki. Grand Vitara or Jimny whichever, they are both good. I would not buy any normal car in you position. Then you have to rent and that does not come cheap. I cannot comment on the Renault because I know nothing about them. Go well.

Jimny, if you have to park in the city, Mitsu or Vitara if you need space...
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2