Kaa area: Botswana - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Kaa area: Botswana

Quote Originally Posted by Kraai KJ View Post
    Alwynvdw, Xisbo and Rossmacg, we are interested in planning a trip "Polentswa - Kaa -Swartpan" next year around this time.
    Do any of you have a nice trip report of those areas you can share.? Looks like you all were there lately.
    Any info on planning a trip to visit that area would help if you are willing to share.
    Or enter from Kang and exit via Polentswa, any trip plan.
    Thanks
    Hennie / Carin
    HI there

We are also busy planning a trip then so send me your email and I will gladly give you some advice. We drove from Nossob to Swartpan but its probably better to sleep at Polentswa and then it will be a bit shorter. We then did swartpan to polentswa on the way back . Gnus Gnus also looked nice. Swart pan had less animals than Mabua but less people too.

Might be a bit outdated but here is some info re; Zutshwa to Kaa gate. Track is easy to do. Wildlife plentiful along track to KTP (at least in April/May) Book at Kaa gate but no assurance of sites being available. KD2 wilderness route seems to have more Wildlife than KTP area. Camped along KD2 track and had a leopard stalking around our tent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17. KTFP-Kaa Region (2).jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	388.7 KB 
ID:	503886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40a..JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	975.4 KB 
ID:	503887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54a. Cape Cobra.JPG 
Views:	210 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	503888   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59. Transit charges.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	446.6 KB 
ID:	503889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56. Mame Pan.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	425.3 KB 
ID:	503890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38. Towards Kaa Gate.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	385.3 KB 
ID:	503891   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42. Pan on Kaa track.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	458.7 KB 
ID:	503892   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44. Map of Kaa.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	503893  

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Addy For This Useful Post:

Been reading suggestions for the Kaa area and am keen to go maybe in April 2019. Thinking of 3 nights Swartpan, 4 nights Thupapedi and 3 nights Gnus Gnus, is that enough/too much? Other suggestions for camping?

Are there roads in the area to do game drives? Would there much game around April?
    Ford Ranger XLS 4x4 D/C 2.2 Auto, Mazda CX-5 Akera, 2018 Honda Africa Twin DCT, 2019 Trent (Rear Fold Hard Floor Camper).
    Drone Consultant & Pilot Instructor, ex-Nature Site Guide (VPDA)[NQF6]

Quote Originally Posted by pardus View Post
    Been reading suggestions for the Kaa area and am keen to go maybe in April 2019. Thinking of 3 nights Swartpan, 4 nights Thupapedi and 3 nights Gnus Gnus, is that enough/too much? Other suggestions for camping?

Are there roads in the area to do game drives? Would there much game around April?
    Swartpan is definitely the best campsite in the area. There's a watehole, so you are guaranteed some wildlife action, even if only a couple of springbok. Gnus Gnus, Thupapedi and Sizatswe good for a night or two if you like solitude but not for game viewing. Thupapedi probably the best of the three. There's a circular track connecting Kaa, Swartpan and the above 3 camps. The Swartpan area has a few more tracks to drive but overall you go to the area for the wilderness experience not the game viewing ...

Quote Originally Posted by pardus View Post

Sorry, forgot to mention .. depending on where you are coming from (or going to), the concession area between Zhutswa and Kaa gate is spectacular. More wildlife than inside KTP. Camping at Name pan and Peach pan is awesome. Not cheap but worth it!

Thanks, I've read that one just pays at Zuntshwa for Name or Peach pan, correct? Do you know what the cost is? I presume not something one could book beforehand. Could one spend 2 or 3 nights there?
    Ford Ranger XLS 4x4 D/C 2.2 Auto, Mazda CX-5 Akera, 2018 Honda Africa Twin DCT, 2019 Trent (Rear Fold Hard Floor Camper).

You don't make any bookings beforehand. You just show up and camp. Whenever you then go through Zutswa
    you stop at the selfserve permit station and pay then. We stayed 3 nights at peach pan and I think it was one
    of the most memorable 3 nights I've spent camping in Africa.

There is enough space at those pans that if there is someone else, which is very unlikely you will still be able
    to be by yourself. During the five days going from Mabua to Zutswa in the middle of the winter school holiday
    we never saw one person or passed one vehicle.
    '14 Hilux 3.0D4D DC 4x4
    '96 Hilux 2.4P DC 4x4 Bloutrein
    Echo 4 Trailer

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloutrein For This Useful Post:

Which would be better for 3 nights, Peach Pan or Name Pan?

Quote Originally Posted by Kraai KJ View Post
    Alwynvdw, Xisbo and Rossmacg, we are interested in planning a trip "Polentswa - Kaa -Swartpan" next year around this time.
    Do any of you have a nice trip report of those areas you can share.? Looks like you all were there lately.
    Any info on planning a trip to visit that area would help if you are willing to share.
    Or enter from Kang and exit via Polentswa, any trip plan.
    Thanks
    Hennie / Carin
    Kraai KJ
    We were in Kaa area 2016 - travelled from Polentswa and returned to Polentswa. See trip report. Part 2 may assist you. Enjoy

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...05#post3299505
    "To look is one thing, to understand what what you see, is something else"

Amarok AUTO 4X4
    Out fitted Offroad Trailer

Just confirming costs, from what I can determine it's P50 to transit, P100 pppn to camp along transit route and P200 pn to camp in KD2 area, correct?
    Last edited by pardus; 2019/03/17 at 03:51 PM.

Transit between Zutshwa and Kaa BWP 50 per vehicle (or ZAR 60, USD 5, EUR 4)

Camping on transit route at Name or Kaa pan BWP 100 (or ZAR 120, USD 10 EUR 9) pppn (children 10 years and younger free), no additional transit fee

Camping inside the wilderness area BWP 200 (or ZAR 240, USD 20 EUR 18 pppn (children 10 years and younger free)
    no additional transit fee

At Zutshwa control gate fill out permit and complete "fee slip", put money and fee slip in pay box, keep permit with you while in KD2
    Last edited by La Leona; 2019/03/18 at 03:03 PM.
    "make a plan to break a plan"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to La Leona For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by La Leona View Post
    Transit between Zutshwa and Kaa BWP 50 per vehicle (or ZAR 60, USD 5, EUR 4)

Camping on transit route at Name or Kaa pan BWP 100 (or ZAR 120, USD 10 EUR 9) pppn (children 10 years and younger free), no additional transit fee

Camping inside the wilderness area BWP 200 (or ZAR 240, USD 20 EUR 18 pppn (children 10 years and younger free)
    no additional transit fee

At Zutshwa control gate fill out permit and complete "fee slip", put money and fee slip in pay box, keep permit with you while in KD2
    Is the control gate a Zutshwa village and does it cover the transit fee for the Mabua cut line route to Jack's Camp? We plan to exit at Kaa and drive along the cutline to Jack's Camp.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Is the control gate a Zutshwa village and does it cover the transit fee for the Mabua cut line route to Jack's Camp? We plan to exit at Kaa and drive along the cutline to Jack's Camp.
    Sorry unable to help, the only Jack's camp I know of in Botswana is in Makgadikgadi. But to drive along the cutline from Kaa gate to Mabua gate you need not detour to Zutshwa. Just drive along the cutline, but it is very deep sand.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to La Leona For This Useful Post:

Sorry unable to help, the only Jack's camp I know of in Botswana is in Makgadikgadi. But to drive along the cutline from Kaa gate to Mabua gate you need not detour to Zutshwa. Just drive along the cutline, but it is very deep sand.
    Thanks.The Jack's I'm referring to is just north of Mabua's east entrance, it's also a community camp..

Thanks.The Jack's I'm referring to is just north of Mabua's east entrance, it's also a community camp..
    Got it, you meant Jack's Pan , there wasn't any infrastructure as per last year, is there a "community camp" now?

Got it, you meant Jack's Pan , there wasn't any infrastructure as per last year, is there a "community camp" now?
    Sorry I believe it to be a wild camp in the old hunting concession so I am not expecting any infrastructure.

Sorry I believe it to be a wild camp in the old hunting concession so I am not expecting any infrastructure.
    I think Jacks Pan falls under a community to the east of Mabua .. one of the villages along the A20..... yes, I know, a pain if you want to go pay for your camping! No infrastructure at Jack's Pan, I believe (not been there).

Quote Originally Posted by Vroommm View Post
    I think Jacks Pan falls under a community to the east of Mabua .. one of the villages along the A20..... yes, I know, a pain if you want to go pay for your camping! No infrastructure at Jack's Pan, I believe (not been there).
    I think the village is Kokostha and we will try to sort out the payment on our way into the park, we want to do Jack's on the way out.
    Last edited by River Rat; 2019/03/19 at 08:32 AM.

Anyone returned from Kaa recently? Heard that it's very dry with not much game visible. We're heading there over Easter.

Quick question: does anyone know the best route from Molopo Nature Reserve to Hukuntsi, Bots? Via Tsabong/Mabua or Werda/Sekoma/Kang? Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast