Dizhana Camp - warning, camp closed

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Dizhana Camp - warning, camp closed

Folks, our trip through Bots in Aug is planned and paid up.

I was double-checking our bookings, but wasn't getting email response from Dizhana Camp.
    The phone number on the website is for HWT in Tzaneen - I called and discovered the root of the problem:
    The camp is currently closed - it has been for a while (at least some months, maybe longer), and even though permission to open the camp is imminent, this could still take a while.
    Under these circumstances, I'm not sure how they could take my money.
    I'm now in contact with Mababe Trust (they're the closest to the issue re if the camp will open or not, in time) - I await response.
    I'm hoping Mababe Trust will be able to sort this out. But my view is we currently need a spot to camp from 11 - 17 Aug in that NE area of Moremi, so if you have any ideas, please....(naturally all the regular camps were full when I booked in Feb).

If you've booked at Dizhana anytime in the near future (or anytime), check out the status first.....

Default Re: Dizhana Camp - warning, camp closed

2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

MarkNL it seems you have been away for a while. Go through all the links above that Lekhubu943 has attached to get up to speed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

I had a booking confirmed with a Willie at Dizhana camp for 17-18 July. I tried to pay but luckely it did not want to go through. Willie said that I could pay on arrival. Can you imagine arriving to find that the camp is closed.
    I am realy greatfull that my plans changed and I got a booking through Tara at Xakanaxa. Not knowing about ghe status of the camps as in Lekhubus links this could have turned out a disaster. I surely hope that there is not others caught out with this.

This campsite will be open soon (and seems we may get the other two open too - Dijara & Tshaa). We're busy in Gaborone with the Ministry and Lawyers as we speak to see about the other two. It's not open yet though for new bookings, we're busy only with paid bookings for the holiday period. They're cleaning/clearing today and preparing the water tanks in preparation.
    I will give a full update over the weekend.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to taraleegoosen For This Useful Post:

wow -- so glad I read this now.

With Dijara closed, I thought Dizhana a good idea and all.

been sending mail after mail -- no success.

I need two nights CAMPING 13th ad4th Aug - in the area.

WHERE TO NOW?
    Hot and Sweaty- Nice if you with a Lady, - BAD if you in the Jungle.

UNITRANS 4X4 Training and Tours

Triumph ST 1050
    Toyota 2.8 Auto
    Honda CBR 1000
    Kia Rio -- sold
    Nissan squash squash

Quote Originally Posted by taraleegoosen View Post
    This campsite will be open soon (and seems we may get the other two open too - Dijara & Tshaa). We're busy in Gaborone with the Ministry and Lawyers as we speak to see about the other two. It's not open yet though for new bookings, we're busy only with paid bookings for the holiday period. They're cleaning/clearing today and preparing the water tanks in preparation.
    I will give a full update over the weekend.
    Hi, thanks for this.
    Our original booking was made via the website for Tshaa Camp and was paid in Feb 2017. In March, Willie (Tshaa's manager) advised we would be moved to Dizhana - he sent a Dizhana Camp voucher at end March (site 6, 11 - 17 Aug), stamped and signed by Mababe Trust. I also have an invoice and proof of payment.
    So this uncertainty has been around for a while. Realistically, how likely is it that the camp will open in the coming week/s?

I understand too, that you have your clients interests at heart. Our initial booking at Tshaa was made directly through the website (as i'm sure others have too). Are bookings from different sources managed effectively, so there is no conflict/double booking issues?

I appreciate your involvement and I'm sure, hard work and look forward very much to hearing the outcome of the meetings in Gaborone. Good luck.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkNL For This Useful Post:

Hi Mark
    Dizhana was briefly opened and renovated but due to the Ministry, an official acceptance letter from Ministry is needed, so that's what they were then working on (and subsequently closed). Willie was working for Mababe in their office, but that was closed and she no longer works there. They will be opening their office again in July sometime (and will honour any payments made/refunds etc, with our help probably), so best to wait for them to open and get organised and everything. only then, will they take new bookings (and know more about availabilities/spaces available etc). So no new bookings just yet. We need to adequately organise the clients have have already paid for that area. (This includes you Mark and I'm sure they will honour your booking as planned. Just wait for them to reorganise their office to reassure you). The Trust really wants to do the campsites well and rebuild the community. They're doing the best they can to get everything up and running and we'll post more news soon.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to taraleegoosen For This Useful Post:

Great news! Thanks,Tara. Looking forward to September. Linda

Quote Originally Posted by taraleegoosen View Post
    Hi MarkDizhana was briefly opened and renovated but due to the Ministry, an official acceptance letter from Ministry is needed, so that's what they were then working on (and subsequently closed). Willie was working for Mababe in their office, but that was closed and she no longer works there. They will be opening their office again in July sometime (and will honour any payments made/refunds etc, with our help probably), so best to wait for them to open and get organised and everything. only then, will they take new bookings (and know more about availabilities/spaces available etc). So no new bookings just yet. We need to adequately organise the clients have have already paid for that area. (This includes you Mark and I'm sure they will honour your booking as planned. Just wait for them to reorganise their office to reassure you). The Trust really wants to do the campsites well and rebuild the community. They're doing the best they can to get everything up and running and we'll post more news soon.
    Hi Tara, I've been away since last Thurs - has there been any progress re Dizhana (or any of the other Mababe camps)?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkNL View Post
    Hi Tara, I've been away since last Thurs - has there been any progress re Dizhana (or any of the other Mababe camps)?
    Hi All, was in area and visited Dizhana, Dijara and Tshaa last week monday and they are closed, toilets and thatch not in good condition, mostly weeds everywhere, partly vandalised and there was no activity in any of them such as cleanup or repair - no one there at all and seems a way from opening. Game around camps so it has been closed for some time.

Suggest you all get alternative bookings until they are open and repaired.

Ed

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ed rouillard View Post
    Hi All, was in area and visited Dizhana, Dijara and Tshaa last week monday and they are closed, toilets and thatch not in good condition, mostly weeds everywhere, partly vandalised and there was no activity in any of them such as cleanup or repair - no one there at all and seems a way from opening. Game around camps so it has been closed for some time.

Suggest you all get alternative bookings until they are open and repaired.

Ed
    Very interesting Ed, thanks for the info. We have our voucher already for two nights at Dizhana at the end of the month.
    Sounds like we'll be doing some proper bush camping then.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Hi all,
    I'm in touch with Mababe Trust, and hoping we'll get news from them (or Tara-Lee). It seems there is progress, and the camps will be opening, but how soon/in time.....?? I'll post as soon as i get response from Mababe.

As a bunch of individuals, getting a booking elsewhere in the area is unlikely at this point - maybe the odd cancellation (when i booked in Feb everywhere was full).
    A refund from Mababe isn't helpful either (cancelling Dizhana just leaves a big hole in our trip [6 days in our case] - it's not a solution).

So, like all those who have bookings, we have to either camp at Dizhana (as booked), or rely on Mababe to relocate us to another camp (I'm told that bush/non designated camping can result in heavy fines and being kicked out).

Either way, time is short and we need confirmation or options.
    I realise people are working on this, and that's really appreciated. But we need further definitive feedback from those close to the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkNL View Post

So, like all those who have bookings, we have to either camp at Dizhana (as booked), or rely on Mababe to relocate us to another camp (I'm told that bush/non designated camping can result in heavy fines and being kicked out).
    Well, Im thinking even if the camp is in a state like Ed has said, hopefully we can still just camp there with it not being considered illegal. As you say, Im not sure there will be any other option for us at this stage
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

I think the situation is a bit tenuous. It might not be prudent to camp in the closed down abandoned camps at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Well, Im thinking even if the camp is in a state like Ed has said, hopefully we can still just camp there with it not being considered illegal. As you say, Im not sure there will be any other option for us at this stage
    Hi All,

Just to note that we were in the area for nearly a full day. We were doing a recce for the future as we had asked for bookings at Dijara and Tshaa and Tara had been unable to sort, due to the licencing problems. Went on for months and eventually Tara booked alternative places and we had a great time in the area. We had sorted a trip in feb and the rains and licencing got in the way big time. All well in the end. Also communicated with Andre who used to run Dijara. He was also helpful and i wish him all the luck for the future.

To Tara - thanks for all - we had an excellent trip.

To All,

I am sure we took some pics of the camps in their state and will post if i can work out how to.

PS I was in Khwai Community 2x some 2 years ago and found some overbooking in a peak week and rather ad-hoc rearranging in the particular week - not too clear but the officials are cooperative and very helpful. They run bush camps not hotels and one has to allow for this.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

Just got this reply --Botswana Footprints is not taking bookings for none of the below.

andnot getting an luck with communication from the trust.

Mankwe, seems a bit far out.

what about Khwai Northate camping -- anyone ?

Sent: 04 July, 2017 11:59AM
    To: Tony Roselt Yeo

Subject:
    RE: Accomodationdijara -dizhana

Morning Tony
    Thankyou for your email.
    Iam so sorry but we are no longer taking bookings for Dijara,Tshaa or Dizhana.
    Mababetrust will be doing their own booking this year. We hope their officewill open soon.
    Kindlykeep an eye on their website for their contacts and book with themdirectly.
    Weapologise for the inconvenience.

Thankskindlky

KindRegards
    KellyMasocha
    <image008.jpg>

Hot and Sweaty- Nice if you with a Lady, - BAD if you in the Jungle.

UNITRANS 4X4 Training and Tours

Triumph ST 1050
    Toyota 2.8 Auto
    Honda CBR 1000
    Kia Rio -- sold
    Nissan squash squash

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    I think the situation is a bit tenuous. It might not be prudent to camp in the closed down abandoned camps at the moment.
    Good point, I suppose you're right.
    Having loose ends like this so close to holiday time is not ideal.

We'll contact Tara and find out whats going on.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

I fully understand your uncertainty, Graham.

I am in the same situation booked at Dijara for 5 nights from 8th August which is in the middle of our trip - starting to get quite worried as everything else is fully booked

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast