Vehicle Documents

Default Vehicle Documents

Good afternoon all you knowledgeable people on here.
    My wife and I have been planning a 4 month road trip around Eastern and Southern Africa for some time and we start on 24th July leaving our present home in Zambia in our own Zambian registered Toyota Hilux 4x4. We will be going via Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda and getting to Kenya approx 18/19th August for a booking in the Mara triangle from 25th August. After this is is down through Tanzania again into Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe into SA and through Swaziland, Lesotho before coming back to Zambia through Namibia and Botswana.
    The question I have is to do with documents for the car and more especially a Carnet de Passage. According to SA AA it says Kenya is compulsory for this but we cannot seem to be able to get one for a Zambian Registered car. We are UK citizens but have work permits for Zambia. Can anyone help with this query
    Do we need a CDP? It also says it is recommended for places like Malawi and Zimbabwe but whenever we have traveled there we have never been asked for one. We do have SADAC and COMISA insurance extensions on our policy and have listed all the countries we will travel in to our Insurance and they have said all is good. I suspect we still pay insurance at many of the borders as well.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Default Re: Vehicle Documents

Hi Mike, best thing would be to speak to the AA Zambia - they are on Facebook, but the website listed there takes you to Alcoholics Anonymous!
    The regulations differ depending on country of registration of the vehicle and the trade/tax agreements they have with other countries.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Mike

Everything I can find on the Internet points to the fact that a Carnet de Passage is compulsory for Kenya. However, I know for a fact that Tanzania does not have a CdP issuing authority and there are many Tanzanian vehicles driving around in Kenya. There are also many, many long distance trucks from all over Africa in Kenya. I do not know, however, whether trucks have a different system for temporary importation into Kenya which is agreed between the governments (I would assume so).

If Zambia does not have a Carnet issuing authority, then it may well be that the AA of South Africa will issue a Carnet for your Zambian vehicle. It is worth asking them. I know that when the RAC in the UK stopped issuing Carnets, the German ADAC issued them for UK registered vehicles in the interim until such time as another UK Carnet issuing authority took over.

I would not like to be taken to task for this if it does not work out for you at the Kenyan border, but if I were you I would be as friendly and jolly as possible and ask for a Temporary Import Permit into Kenya. I am pretty sure it won't be a problem and if they question why you don't have a Carnet, tell the Customs official that you live in Zambia, your vehicle is Zambian registered and there is no Carnet issuing authority in Zambia.

If you have COMESA insurance, you will not have to buy further third party insurance. You will, however, need to pay for the foreign vehicle road tax which is approx USD40 for a month. Ensure that you get the private vehicle one and not the one for a commercial vehicle - unless your vehicle is a pick-up which is classed as a commercial vehicle in Kenya and then there are all sorts of other issues that you may have to deal with.

Good luck and let the forum know how you get on.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2017/06/28 at 03:03 PM.

I found this person on the HUBB (Horizons Unlimited) who has documented beautifully his travels throughout Africa. It may help you (and others).

http://www.voodoochile.se/CCC/VC4/VC...dBordersNE.asp

Thank you Tony and Wazungu, Both have been helpful.