Broke SAA in talks for loan - Page 14





Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 485
  1. #261
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    No agreement. SAA is ramping up services. Strike seems to be crumbling.

    https://www.fin24.com/Companies/Indu...inues-20191119
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

  2. #262
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    SAA goes to court:
    - claims that current flights are unsafe
    - union adding new demands and breaking the picketing rules

    https://www.fin24.com/Companies/saa-...ights-20191119

    Basically pushing unions. Banks have provisionally agreed to R2 bilj but looks like they need government guarantee. I doubt that will be given especially because SAA says next year they need more money...

    That salary increase by SAA is subject to having money. Availability is based on projections only.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

  3. #263
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Midrand
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    SAA goes to court:
    - claims that current flights are unsafe
    - union adding new demands and breaking the picketing rules

    https://www.fin24.com/Companies/saa-...ights-20191119

    Basically pushing unions. Banks have provisionally agreed to R2 bilj but looks like they need government guarantee. I doubt that will be given especially because SAA says next year they need more money...

    That salary increase by SAA is subject to having money. Availability is based on projections only.
    they sure are able to operate a lot of flights with 3,000 on strike. Hmmmmmmm

  4. #264
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    Many moons ago Sasol Secunda sent 6000 employees home. No dip in production.

    An other plant had a strike many moons ago. No production loss. When the bosses realized this after the strike very many lost their job.

    There is a long list of companies who have found the same. We found it in one of our factories that there were employees who had no boss. They came to work, they were used for some tasks, did get a salary but why they were there nobody could explain.

    Similar happened in Finland when there were politically split unions during 70s and 80s. Go on strike too often or too long and society/company protects themselves and cuts down. Good example are underground train drivers. They are paid over the top compared to buss drivers. Basically all new lines = no drivers.

    Going on strike is exceptionally risky business.

    Quite a long time ago Italian government ordered every state employee to be at work on a specific day. There was not enough offices and tables for all... If you run a business check regularly who and what systems you really need. In very many cases there is "create work to justify the existence". I happen to see this often.

    Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    they sure are able to operate a lot of flights with 3,000 on strike. Hmmmmmmm
    Last edited by Jouko; 2019/11/19 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Pressed wrong button :-(
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

  5. #265
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Midrand
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Many moons ago Sasol Secunda sent 6000 employees home. No dip in production.

    An other plant had a strike many moons ago. No production loss. When the bosses realized this after the strike very many lost their job.

    There is a long list of companies who have found the same. We found it in one of our factories that there were employees who had no boss. They came to work, they were used for some tasks, did get a salary but why they were there nobody could explain.

    Similar happened in Finland when there were politically split unions during 70s and 80s. Go on strike too often or too long and society/company protects themselves and cuts down. Good example are underground train drivers. They are paid over the top compared to buss drivers. Basically all new lines = no drivers.

    Going on strike is exceptionally risky business.

    Quite a long time ago Italian government ordered every state employee to be at work on a specific day. There was not enough offices and tables for all... If you run a business check regularly who and what systems you really need. In very many cases there is "create work to justify the existence". I happen to see this often.
    meanwhile the country is broke and I pay waaaaay too much tax

  6. #266
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,846

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    they sure are able to operate a lot of flights with 3,000 on strike. Hmmmmmmm
    SAA is widely known to be overstocked with manpower, that doesn't necessarily mean that overstock is at the pointy end of the ship. Most grifters don't like to get their hands dirty.

    There is a very good chance there are enough line maintenance and certification guys still on post, and as the pilots are not on strike, all they need is sufficient cabin crew and they can fly in complete safety.

    There may well be a manpower problem in the heavy maintenance hangars, but the line machines generally require a daily inspection to be signed out, and snags/defects to be cleared prior to turnaround release and they are good to go until their next hangar check becomes due, when there may be a bottleneck that causes delays.
    Cheers,
    John

    Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

  7. #267
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,846

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Many moons ago Sasol Secunda sent 6000 employees home. No dip in production.

    An other plant had a strike many moons ago. No production loss.
    I worked on an oil camp where the workers went on strike, and the camp boss called all the managers in and asked them if their departments could continue to operate or not with current staff levels.
    The general consensus was that they could continue to operate, albeit with some difficulties.
    After an initial dip in production, production actually rose during the strike and held until after the strike, when it slowly dipped back to "normal" levels.
    Cheers,
    John

    Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

  8. #268
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,089

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    meanwhile the country is broke and I pay waaaaay too much tax
    100%

    I have already paid for SAA flights many times over and refuse to pay extra to fly with them.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

    2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

    Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

  9. #269
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    Pravin said yesterday to the unions "No more money coming". Basically there is no money available and no legal way to give it this year. Pulling that legal point is interesting. I would say that there is a plan. SAA management and two of the main ministers for this case are reading from the same script.

    https://www.fin24.com/Companies/Indu...louts-20191119
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

  10. #270
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    There is one big reason why SAA is still open

    If they closed it then the government would be admitting that they failed and that the guys put in charge to run the place do not have any clue how to run it

    So they would rather let it run itself into the ground. Which for airline is scary thought
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

    Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

  11. #271
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion + Others
    Age
    60
    Posts
    2,768

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    SAA is merely a symptom of the cANCer's racist social engineering program AA & BEE -

    Its a failure and they CANNOT admit it.
    Merit before Race - anything else IS Racism.
    Stay Calm, engage low-ratio, keep buggering on - a Landy Man
    Longevity isn't worth dying for,

  12. #272
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Irene, Pretoria
    Age
    58
    Posts
    326

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veGZqyzyygY

    Check this out. I wish someone in our government had some iron to stand up to these unions and their followers destroying our country.
    '15 Prado 4.0 VX
    '18 Echo Chobe

  13. #273
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Midrand
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    Quote Originally Posted by HennieC View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veGZqyzyygY

    Check this out. I wish someone in our government had some iron to stand up to these unions and their followers destroying our country.

    Amen to that! Makes me want to move to Singapore. But, they cane you if you spit on the sidewalk, and it's dang hot.

  14. #274
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Midrand
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Chaos View Post
    SAA is merely a symptom of the cANCer's racist social engineering program AA & BEE -

    Its a failure and they CANNOT admit it.

    I really do think it's quite a lot more than that.

  15. #275
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

  16. #276
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    54
    Posts
    970

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    Looks like you guys that were calling for blood got your wish.
    There are lots of us that have give the majority of our working lives to the airline that could in all likely hood loose everything. The general workforce especially in Technical hasn't been complicit in the looting but we are going to take the fall.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

  17. #277
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Midrand
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    Looks like you guys that were calling for blood got your wish.
    There are lots of us that have give the majority of our working lives to the airline that could in all likely hood loose everything. The general workforce especially in Technical hasn't been complicit in the looting but we are going to take the fall.

    Very sorry. The country’s finances are at stake. That does not make it easier. Hopefully private sector will pick this up quickly, employ the competent people, get rid of the rot, and things will be better.

  18. #278
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lonehill, JHB
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,299

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    Looks like you guys that were calling for blood got your wish.
    There are lots of us that have give the majority of our working lives to the airline that could in all likely hood loose everything. The general workforce especially in Technical hasn't been complicit in the looting but we are going to take the fall.
    So sorry to hear this Paul.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

  19. #279
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    46
    Posts
    92

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    Me too, have given 21 years to SAA. Now the prospect of having to go find work in the desert sucks bigtime.
    Ex 2009 Merc ML350 CDi
    Now 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE (Takla Seat covers with heated seats!)

  20. #280
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    66
    Posts
    39

    Default Re: Broke SAA in talks for loan

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    Looks like you guys that were calling for blood got your wish.
    There are lots of us that have give the majority of our working lives to the airline that could in all likely hood loose everything. The general workforce especially in Technical hasn't been complicit in the looting but we are going to take the fall.
    That. Yes, we have had enough of SAA, but what about thousands of loyal employees who are the victims, not the perpetrators, of the capture of the airline? Could Solidarity's business rescue action actually hold some hope for you?

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •