Travelling from Gauteng to Dar es Salaam/Zanzibar

Default Travelling from Gauteng to Dar es Salaam/Zanzibar

Doing this trip in December 2017. wife's and kids will fly to Zanzibar where we will meet up. Please recommend the best/shortest and most scenic route to Dar. We plan on taking the Harare,Tete then up Lake Malawi route.I notice this is the shortest route, but maybe not the easiest.How many days should I plan for travelling there and back and spent a week in Zanzibar.

Can you take your vehicle across from Dar or are there cheap and safe storage facilities ?

Please,any advice will be appreciated.

Default Re: Travelling from Gauteng to Dar es Salaam/Zanzibar

Quote Originally Posted by ahk View Post
    Doing this trip in December 2017. wife's and kids will fly to Zanzibar where we will meet up. Please recommend the best/shortest and most scenic route to Dar. We plan on taking the Harare,Tete then up Lake Malawi route.I notice this is the shortest route, but maybe not the easiest.How many days should I plan for travelling there and back and spent a week in Zanzibar.

Can you take your vehicle across from Dar or are there cheap and safe storage facilities ?

Please,any advice will be appreciated.
    There are going to hopefully be a lot of people who reply with more current advice, but I have some input.

Years ago, I used to leave my truck either at Silver Sands, north of Dar, or the Kilimanjaro Hotel. That was in the early nineties to the end of the nineties. Never any problems. However things change a lot, and I would be surprised if thats still valid info.
    I would definitely not take my vehicle over to Zanzibar. Besides the hassle, and I am sure there is going to be a bucket load of that (Zanzibar is independently ruled), I really don't think you need it (though I hear you that its a security worry leaving it: you will need to do a bit of research but I am sure you will find a solution, plenty of contacts here on the forum).

Most of the accommodation on Zanzibar is in local guest houses (or hotels in Stone Town), and I don't think Ive ever seen anyone camping. You also don't really need the risk of having an accident, even minor. Its really easy to get around: either you use a minibus charter (easy), use a daladala (interesting but you need tolerance.....), or you can hire scooters or motorbikes. The minibus is likely to be the easiest.

Its a fantastic place. One of my favourite places in Africa, as far as towns/populated places go. Just keep an open mind, and recognise that values there may be different to what you are used to (I have heard many many people complain about all the rubbish for instance, but the strange thing is that I have never noticed it. Though its certainly there).

On the route, its also been a while since I went into Tanzania by road, but the route you describe, through Tete then Karonga in northern Malawi, I am pretty sure is still the easiest. I have done Mombassa to Cape Town in four (maybe it was 5...) days but you won't want to do that! Those were in the days when I wasn't scared at all to drive at night. No need to do that if its a holiday. I reckon six or seven days is the minimum, and probably ten days is fairly easy if its just you and you don't dawdle. Though that would be a pity.

The only caution I would have is to check on Beit Bridge. I try to avoid it as its so busy. From Cape Town its easy to do: just go through Gaberone and then Plumtree/Harare or Kasane/Vic Falls/Livingstone/Chipata (Kazungula can be a bit of a mission, but I don't have recent info). From Joburg maybe a bit more difficult to route around. Roads until Malawi all good, I haven't seen the rest for a while though! The only bad road, which I have heard is still pretty terrible, is the road in Zambia through Sesheke to Livingstone. The worst kind: badly potholed tar. I had bleeding hands in my Bedford. But that was then! And guaranteed you will have great memories.

I have just started using a new app, called "Here", offline maps and nav guidance (iOS, not sure if its on Android). Just mentioning it as it includes warnings for speed limits. Its pretty good in SA, not sure about others (yet). You really do need to stick to speed limits. Radar guns everywhere now: particularly if you take that Gabs detour.
    Last edited by zoneout; 2017/06/25 at 01:42 PM.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Came across this post which might be helpful to you too

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...77#post3607577
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

We did a trip like that in 2015 over december. We left our vehicles at Kipepeo beach village, cant remember the costs but they also have a great restaurant and cold beer. We made use of local taxi's in Zanzibar called dala-dala's. We took a scenic route there, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi and the Tanz.

Do you planing to do Serengeti as well?