How to fight fairly





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    15,500
    Thanked: 2852

    Default How to fight fairly

    Written for other platforms, but there are some (handful) of people here who is currently doing their best to make the experience here as sour as possible for others.

    Please go read this.

    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...r-social-media

    Approach every thread (including your own) with kindness and respect, rather than slamming it.
    This shows that you are being thoughtful rather than reactionary, which is likely to invite thoughtfulness rather than flames. For example, avoid expressions like this: “Your views are hypocritical/ misguided/ close-minded/ wrong.” Instead, try responses like this: “Your view is popular, but have you considered these facts/ new research/ social or legal progress/ the latest medical knowledge?”


    Reduce your stress by suspending judgment.
    It’s easy to label other perspectives as uninformed or irrational. It’s tempting to judge others as foolish, short-sighted, or stupid. Moral indignation and self-righteousness can make us feel high and mighty. But the flip side is that it’s distressing to think, “I’m surrounded by idiots!” or “The world is going to hell in a hand basket!” When judgments bubble up in your mind, take note, and then don’t act on them. Instead acknowledge that each person is thinking and expressing exactly as they are meant to. Suspending judgment eliminates the stress of requiring others to see it your way.


    Be a butterfly, not a bull in a china shop.
    When you comment, if you charge in and try to force change, people are likely to feel threatened and become defensive and close-minded. They may even shut out you and your message. Instead, flit about and gently plant seeds that might lead to change. For example, post compassionate, hopeful, or insightful messages such as this or this.


    State your intentions clearly, with warmth.
    For example, this: “I’m interested in spreading understanding/empathy/peace.” Or, “If you’d like to know more about this, here’s a link.” NOT “Here’s a better/ the right/ the only sensible way to think about this.”


    Do your research.
    If you’re interested enough to comment or post on an issue, become informed so you can say what you mean and mean what you say.


    Be a critical thinker.
    Seek out reputable, credible sources that are interested in reporting the facts and providing a thoughtful analysis of the complexities and gray areas. Nothing worth arguing about is ever simple or absolute. Question gossipy, catastrophizing, conspiracy theorizing, or one-note people or organizations that promote a narrow agenda or sensationalize an issue. Don’t rely solely on websites like Wikipedia, as anyone can edit entries, which means no guarantee for accuracy or unbiased information.


    Invite increased awareness and clarity.
    After you've done your research and thought it through, post comments and links that are thought-provoking, well-sourced, fact-based, clarifying, and reflect the complexities of an issue. NOT ones that are thought-controlling (THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH, PEOPLE!) or reflect a one-sided sense of superiority or condemnation.


    Respect diversity and welcome dissent.
    If someone challenges your post or comment, keep your emotional reactions to yourself (see #1). Take your time, read carefully and thoroughly, and respond when you are calm so that you don’t take the bait to get riled up. Stick to the facts and do more research in order to respond thoughtfully and completely. Remain focused on your goal to illuminate an issue, underscore compassion, promote social progress-- and learn even more yourself (see previous point).


    Invite understanding, by granting it first.
    Acknowledge opposing viewpoints with an open mind and words such as, “I understand what you’re saying.” When others feel heard, they are more likely to listen and then your words will have more impact. Start with, “I can see why you might be worried about that. Let me clarify…” or “Excellent point, and here’s another angle to consider.” NOT: “I have no idea what you’re talking about," or “This makes no sense!”


    Refrain from insulting any person or discounting, undermining, or blocking communication.
    It is counterproductive to announce, “You’re an idiot,” or “This discussion is over.” Instead, simply disagree with opinions, ideas, viewpoints, or stated “facts” by providing sound, reputable evidence for yours, such as, “Actually, according to scientific research, global warming is a proven fact, not an ‘opinion’ or ‘belief.’ Here are some links you might find interesting.”


    Don’t demand that others “respect my opinion.”
    The only way to garner respect for your opinions is to have respectable opinions. In other words, make sure that your opinions are based on straightforward, substantiated facts—not spin, fabrications, or ideology, which tend to be immune to the facts. (Adhering to an ideology is often accompanied by an attitude of “I refuse to change” or “This is for sure the way it is!”) Other ways to gain respect are to be respectful of others’ opinions, curious about differing points of view, and courteous when others comment.


    Be humble about what you know.
    Hedging with “It might be that….” is more likely to inspire open-mindedness in your audience. For some strategies to increase your persuasiveness, read this Washington Post article.


    Know when to give up.
    The more you try to convince someone that you’re right, the more they will likely dig in and stick to their viewpoint. According to a Cornell study, after 4 back-and-forth exchanges, if the other person hasn’t come around by then, they probably won’t.


    Understand the limits of logical arguments.
    When people get emotional, insulting, or irrational, disengage with them. Although it can be tempting to reply, just let it lie. Replying will only fan the flames.


    Have integrity.
    Think it through before posting. Be willing to acknowledge other points of view and edit your thoughts according to new insights or information offered to you.


    Be compassionate.
    When someone is pushing back and promoting the status quo, it is likely that they are either uninformed on the issue, misunderstanding the point, or afraid of what change might look like—or all of the above. Particularly if you believe someone is reflecting ignorance, simple-mindedness, or bigotry, hold onto compassion, and remain humble (see above).


    Have realistic expectations.
    If you are going to post controversial material, you are inviting controversy. Be prepared for the rumble, so that you don’t feel shocked or dismayed by it.


    If you adhere to these guidelines, everyone may not end up agreeing with you, but they will still follow you and/or want to be your friend.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    40
    Posts
    2,627
    Thanked: 1790

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    Cool thanks for the post Dirk
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

    Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    56
    Posts
    16,442
    Thanked: 2348

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    Seems good & still allows for us to mock Johan Slabbert with insinuation & innuendo - I like.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    28,874
    Thanked: 4378

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    "you only have yourself to blame if you get into a fair fight"


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town or Jansenville or missing...
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,487
    Thanked: 3060

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    Seems good & still allows for us to mock Johan Slabbert with insinuation & innuendo - I like.
    My defenses are impenetrable
    Last edited by Johan Slabbert; 2017/06/22 at 08:19 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    56
    Posts
    34,100
    Thanked: 9329

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    My defenses are impenetrable
    Thank goodness. The alternative is a mental image too ghastly to contemplate, Sponge Bob.

    Like some grey haired fat bastard that looks like a naked wizard in an apron, it's something you can never forget.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town or Jansenville or missing...
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,487
    Thanked: 3060

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Thank goodness. The alternative is a mental image too ghastly to contemplate, Sponge Bob.

    Like some grey haired fat bastard that looks like a naked wizard in an apron, it's something you can never forget.
    You have a disturbingly clear mental image of him.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    56
    Posts
    34,100
    Thanked: 9329

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    You have a disturbingly clear mental image of him.
    you see what I mean?

    To the grave, I tell you, to the grave...........
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Gordon's Bay
    Age
    49
    Posts
    28,874
    Thanked: 4378

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    My defenses are impenetrable
    Snigger .

    this is too easy back door man!

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    56
    Posts
    16,442
    Thanked: 2348

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    My defenses are impenetrable
    Unlike your back door...

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town or Jansenville or missing...
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,487
    Thanked: 3060

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Snigger .

    this is too easy back door man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    Unlike your back door...
    It's Wednesday, I'm being nice to pensioners

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    38
    Posts
    6,457
    Thanked: 1026

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    It's Wednesday, I'm being nice to pensioners
    Thursday

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kempton Park
    Age
    52
    Posts
    13,851
    Thanked: 960

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    eish. This is going to be difficult
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Wall
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,674
    Thanked: 1625

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    But what if the guy REALLY is an idiot?

    Or a Trump supporter - does this suspend the rules?
    "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold."




  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:


  18. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    56
    Posts
    16,442
    Thanked: 2348

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    But what if the guy REALLY is an idiot... or a Trump supporter -
    You repeat yourself.
    That's conversational redundancy....
    Last edited by Mad Manny; 2017/06/22 at 08:32 PM.

  19. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town or Jansenville or missing...
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,487
    Thanked: 3060

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    You repeat yourself.
    That's conversational redundancy....
    It's his trump-card

  20. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Age
    48
    Posts
    15,500
    Thanked: 2852

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    Written for other platforms, but there are some (handful) of people here who is currently doing their best to make the experience here as sour as possible for others.

    Please go read this.

    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...r-social-media

    Approach every thread (including your own) with kindness and respect, rather than slamming it.
    This shows that you are being thoughtful rather than reactionary, which is likely to invite thoughtfulness rather than flames. For example, avoid expressions like this: “Your views are hypocritical/ misguided/ close-minded/ wrong.” Instead, try responses like this: “Your view is popular, but have you considered these facts/ new research/ social or legal progress/ the latest medical knowledge?”


    Reduce your stress by suspending judgment.
    It’s easy to label other perspectives as uninformed or irrational. It’s tempting to judge others as foolish, short-sighted, or stupid. Moral indignation and self-righteousness can make us feel high and mighty. But the flip side is that it’s distressing to think, “I’m surrounded by idiots!” or “The world is going to hell in a hand basket!” When judgments bubble up in your mind, take note, and then don’t act on them. Instead acknowledge that each person is thinking and expressing exactly as they are meant to. Suspending judgment eliminates the stress of requiring others to see it your way.


    Be a butterfly, not a bull in a china shop.
    When you comment, if you charge in and try to force change, people are likely to feel threatened and become defensive and close-minded. They may even shut out you and your message. Instead, flit about and gently plant seeds that might lead to change. For example, post compassionate, hopeful, or insightful messages such as this or this.


    State your intentions clearly, with warmth.
    For example, this: “I’m interested in spreading understanding/empathy/peace.” Or, “If you’d like to know more about this, here’s a link.” NOT “Here’s a better/ the right/ the only sensible way to think about this.”


    Do your research.
    If you’re interested enough to comment or post on an issue, become informed so you can say what you mean and mean what you say.


    Be a critical thinker.
    Seek out reputable, credible sources that are interested in reporting the facts and providing a thoughtful analysis of the complexities and gray areas. Nothing worth arguing about is ever simple or absolute. Question gossipy, catastrophizing, conspiracy theorizing, or one-note people or organizations that promote a narrow agenda or sensationalize an issue. Don’t rely solely on websites like Wikipedia, as anyone can edit entries, which means no guarantee for accuracy or unbiased information.


    Invite increased awareness and clarity.
    After you've done your research and thought it through, post comments and links that are thought-provoking, well-sourced, fact-based, clarifying, and reflect the complexities of an issue. NOT ones that are thought-controlling (THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH, PEOPLE!) or reflect a one-sided sense of superiority or condemnation.


    Respect diversity and welcome dissent.
    If someone challenges your post or comment, keep your emotional reactions to yourself (see #1). Take your time, read carefully and thoroughly, and respond when you are calm so that you don’t take the bait to get riled up. Stick to the facts and do more research in order to respond thoughtfully and completely. Remain focused on your goal to illuminate an issue, underscore compassion, promote social progress-- and learn even more yourself (see previous point).


    Invite understanding, by granting it first.
    Acknowledge opposing viewpoints with an open mind and words such as, “I understand what you’re saying.” When others feel heard, they are more likely to listen and then your words will have more impact. Start with, “I can see why you might be worried about that. Let me clarify…” or “Excellent point, and here’s another angle to consider.” NOT: “I have no idea what you’re talking about," or “This makes no sense!”


    Refrain from insulting any person or discounting, undermining, or blocking communication.
    It is counterproductive to announce, “You’re an idiot,” or “This discussion is over.” Instead, simply disagree with opinions, ideas, viewpoints, or stated “facts” by providing sound, reputable evidence for yours, such as, “Actually, according to scientific research, global warming is a proven fact, not an ‘opinion’ or ‘belief.’ Here are some links you might find interesting.”


    Don’t demand that others “respect my opinion.”
    The only way to garner respect for your opinions is to have respectable opinions. In other words, make sure that your opinions are based on straightforward, substantiated facts—not spin, fabrications, or ideology, which tend to be immune to the facts. (Adhering to an ideology is often accompanied by an attitude of “I refuse to change” or “This is for sure the way it is!”) Other ways to gain respect are to be respectful of others’ opinions, curious about differing points of view, and courteous when others comment.


    Be humble about what you know.
    Hedging with “It might be that….” is more likely to inspire open-mindedness in your audience. For some strategies to increase your persuasiveness, read this Washington Post article.


    Know when to give up.
    The more you try to convince someone that you’re right, the more they will likely dig in and stick to their viewpoint. According to a Cornell study, after 4 back-and-forth exchanges, if the other person hasn’t come around by then, they probably won’t.


    Understand the limits of logical arguments.
    When people get emotional, insulting, or irrational, disengage with them. Although it can be tempting to reply, just let it lie. Replying will only fan the flames.


    Have integrity.
    Think it through before posting. Be willing to acknowledge other points of view and edit your thoughts according to new insights or information offered to you.


    Be compassionate.
    When someone is pushing back and promoting the status quo, it is likely that they are either uninformed on the issue, misunderstanding the point, or afraid of what change might look like—or all of the above. Particularly if you believe someone is reflecting ignorance, simple-mindedness, or bigotry, hold onto compassion, and remain humble (see above).


    Have realistic expectations.
    If you are going to post controversial material, you are inviting controversy. Be prepared for the rumble, so that you don’t feel shocked or dismayed by it.


    If you adhere to these guidelines, everyone may not end up agreeing with you, but they will still follow you and/or want to be your friend.

  21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:


  22. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Wall
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,674
    Thanked: 1625

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    You repeat yourself.
    That's conversational redundancy....
    Tempted, not taking the bait.
    "Everything has its limit - iron ore cannot be educated into gold."




  23. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lonehill, JHB
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,225
    Thanked: 798

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    I had to re-read the thread title, I thought it said "How to fight a fairy"... thanks to all the Johan Slabbert chirps
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

  24. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town or Jansenville or missing...
    Age
    38
    Posts
    10,487
    Thanked: 3060

    Default Re: How to fight fairly

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    I had to re-read the thread title, I thought it said "How to fight a fairy"... thanks to all the Johan Slabbert chirps
    It's called taking one for the team

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •