Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Info on special campsites in Serengeti.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    I think one of the reasons it is so difficult to find the special campsites is that they get changed every year or so. This is likely so as to let the African bush reclaim where people have been camping, and to stop habituation of the wildlife (as has become a huge problem in southern Africa).
    That is correct I am sure. However when making your bookings at the various offices they have very little idea of even the general location of some of the special campsites. They likewise have no idea of which are the nicer sites. This applied even at the Seronera office. Perhaps I was not persistent enough but we had up to three staff members trying to help us. They could often not even indicate where a site was on the maps we took.

Often it is only the local ranger outpost that really knows. I suppose if you have a problem with the allocated site you can organize to swop, either at the local or regional ranger post, but then you could easily end up with double bookings so prevalent in Southern Africa.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Hi all,
    I found two pages in my file folder, the old, paper kind, that lists Serengeti special campsites with their old and their new names. The GPS column is sadly left empty. But the good news is that a list exists.
    So an added difficulty is the renaming of some sites. For our trip in 2015, we were assigned Sero 6 and the Roodt map did not show that, but then my Canadian friend who has been to the Serengeti a few times, found out that Sero 6 was formerly known as Kubu Kubu. Problem solved. So once you know old and new name, you would then be able to cross check with maps and maybe solve all the secrets of the whereabouts of these sacred places.
    Btw, Sero 6 was double booked and a huge tent city was stationed there. We were then given Sero 4 where we had an amazing visit of five male lions at dawn, and later 11 Hyena. I'm thinking the Hyena were probably habituated and looking for scraps.
    I will try and scan those pages and then try and upload them here. Notice, I said "try".
    If life is a journey, be sure to take the scenic route!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KaliCA For This Useful Post:

Thanks KaliCA even that bit of info about Sero 6 - Kubu Kubu is very helpful.

I have followed your exchanges with your Canadian friend on other forums and even there great confusion reigns as you are well aware. If you could scan those lists that would be first prize. If not I wonder if you could be persuaded to type them out and then post them. Even if done in installments when you find the time. I am sure you realize that nowhere on the Internet is there such a list to be found.

Such a comprehensive list will be of incalculable value.
    Stanley Weakley.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR

I will certainly do that sometime next week once we get back to Florida. Currently on "underwater safari" in Cayman Islands.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KaliCA For This Useful Post:

Good morning all,
    I just returned from a 8.000km trip from Midrand to Tanzania. Our car is currently parked in Moshi. The last 9 days of our journey (14/08 - 23/08) we spent in Ngorongoro and Serengeti. Although it's Peak season at the moment we didn't book anything in advance. The roads are in pretty bad shape, probably the worst washboard I ever came across in Africa. We were entering Serengeti via Naabi Gate and the staff was most helpful and friendly. Our plan was to stay 2 nights in the Seronera area and then drive up north to Kogatende via Lobo to see the river crossings. At Kogatende we stayed a couple of nights at the very nice private campsite next to the Mara River. The staff at Naabi told us to just drive to the ranger office at the Kogatende Airstrip and book the private campsite there. The private campsite stretches along the Mara River and the ranger told us to just take any spot we like. The first night there were 2 other cars on the campsite but in a distance of maybe 200m-300m. The other nights it was just us. It was nice to be alone in the bush after the hectic public campsites in Seronera and Lobo packed with italian budget travelers . Although the ablutions on the public campsites in Seronera have been renovated since our last visit in rainy season 2015 (April 2015)they are just to small for the big groups in peak season. Ngorongoro and Lobo are still old ablutions and they were just horrible at peak season. Especially taking into account the money you spend on park entry and camping. We roughly spent USD 3000 on park fees, SA registered car and camping for 9 nights. However I mus admit the wildlife and landscape in the Ngorongoro and Serengeti area is just outstanding and for me the best in all of Africa (together with Ruaha NP) and the river crossings have been the best wildlife experience for me ever. But on a value for money basis I think Okavango and Mana Pools are the best options.
    Last edited by GermanCruiser79; 2017/09/08 at 07:35 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GermanCruiser79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks GermanCruiser79, that is valuable info on Kogatende.
    Stanley Weakley.

OR

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

As some of you may know, we just recently moved from California to Naples, Florida and got slammed by hurricane Irma. Living through a Cat 4 hurricane was never on my bucket list, however, Mother Nature had other plans and we lived through it. House was like a fortress and we sustained only minor tree damage. Feeling very lucky and grateful. Still without power and the sewage is seeping out into the street.
    We are coping with this unusual situation and as a friend said, maybe better than most as having been camping in Africa for a few years had us well prepared for being inventive.
    So here I am writing by the light of the Luci solar light in high humidity and temperatures.
    The following is copied from a list I got from my Canadian friend. I have no idea how old or how accurate the list is but it shows old and new names of special campsites in the Serengeti. The GPS column is sadly empty. Maybe others can fill in coordinates. Whenever the old and new name are the same, I will not write it twice.

New Name always first, old name second

1. Ndutu 1 - Nungunungu
    2. Ndutu 2 - Tandawala
    3. Ndutu 3 - Mellenuium 1
    4. Ndutu 4 - Nyumbu
    5. Ndutu 5 - Kakakuona
    6. Ndutu 6 - Mbweha
    7. Ndutu 7 - Muhanga
    8. Naabi 1
    9. Naabi 2
    10. Naabi 3 - Naabi extra
    11. Kusini 1 (new)
    12. Kusine 2 (new)
    13. Seronera 1 - Seronera 10
    14. Seronera 2 - Seronera River
    15. Seronera 3 - Seronera 12
    16. Seronera 4 - Acacia
    17. Seronera 5 - Yellow Stone
    18. Seronera 6 - KubuKubu
    19. Rongai 1
    20. Rongai 2
    21. Rongai 3 (new)
    22. Rongai 4 - Elmakat
    23. Rongai 5 - Prince
    24. Turner 1 - Turner A
    25. Turner 2 - Turner B
    26. Turner 3 - Kimbumbu

Ok, so far so good. Will send this and hope it gets to you. Will write the rest of the list another time.
    Regards from recovering Florida, KaliCA

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KaliCA For This Useful Post:

Thank you KaliCA, especially under the testing conditions in Florida. As you point out travelling Africa teaches you resilience, even if you did not realize how much you had beforehand.

This is a great list and we all look forward to augmenting it with the special campsites further north in Serengeti. I appreciate that this may take some time and I think I can convey the best wishes of our entire community for all of you in Florida during these testing times.

All we need now is for members to add GPS points and comments on these Serengeti Special Campsites over time. Already I think this thread has more consolidated information on them than is available from any other source.
    Stanley Weakley.

OR

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Hi All

Thanks for all the super useful information, I am looking to camp in the Serengeti in February during the wildebeest calving season next year. Can anyone advise which private campsites would be best for that?

And how do I book them? I have tried emailing the Tanzania Parks email address with no luck.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Eve

Thanks, Stan, I appreciate your supporting words.

Here is the rest of the list. Most names are labeled as SCS "special camp sites" and a few of them have the label "Prime"which I have noted.
    I'm sure some of you with older maps may be able to cross reference those sites. Good luck and keep up the good work.
    We have submitted plans for a second self-drive trip to NorthernTZ but booking for June has not even started yet. Hope there is no more price increase till then.

27. Ngarenyanyuki 1 (new)
    28. Ngarenyanyuki 2 (new
    29. Moru 1 - Itongo prime
    30. Moru 2 - Nyaruboro prime
    31. Moru 3 - Moru 7A prime
    32. Moru 4 - Moru 7 B prime
    33. Moru 5 - Moru 8 prime
    34. Moru 6 - Moru 9 prime
    35. Olobaye 1
    36. Olobaye 2
    37.Lobo 1 (new)
    38. Lobo 2 (new)
    39. Lobo 3 - Lobo extra
    40. Togoro 1 - Pofu
    41. Togoro 2 - Kori
    42. Togoro 3 - Nyabeho
    43. Lobo Hills (new)
    44. Ndasiata 1 (new)
    45. Ndasiata 2 (new)
    46. Hembe
    47. Mareu
    48. Musabi
    49. Simiti
    50. Belabela
    51. Kirawira Hills (new)
    52. Grumeti (new)
    53. Mbalageti ( new)
    54. Handajega
    55. Nyasirori
    56. Nyamalumbwa 1 (new) prime
    57. Nyamalumbwa 2 (new) prime
    58. Raramangi (new)
    59. Sonzo (new)
    60. Makutano (new) prime
    61. Wogakuria 1 (new)
    62. Wogakuria 2 (new)
    63. Wogakuria 3 (new)
    64. Wogakuria 4 (new)
    65. Wogakuria 5 (new)
    66. Wogakuria 6(new)
    67. Woga 7 (new)
    68. Wogakuria 8 (new)
    69.Wogakuria 9 - Mwambani
    70. Wogakuria 10 - Kanga

Last edited by KaliCA; 2017/09/17 at 03:53 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KaliCA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by evewoodhill View Post
    Hi All

Thanks for all the super useful information, I am looking to camp in the Serengeti in February during the wildebeest calving season next year. Can anyone advise which private campsites would be best for that?

And how do I book them? I have tried emailing the Tanzania Parks email address with no luck.

Thanks

Eve
    To state the obvious, try sending KaliCA a personal message. We only booked once we were in Arusha and went to the TANAPA HQ there. To be best located for the calving in the south I think any of the first 12 campsites in Kali's first list would do. Some of the southern campsites fall under the Ngorogoro Crater Area rather than TANAPA but have no further details. It would be good if contact details and the processes could be published on this thread as well.
    Stanley Weakley.

OR

Again, thanks to Kali. This is invaluable information and I hope members will continue to add information to this thread with time.
    Stanley Weakley.

OR

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by evewoodhill View Post
    Hi All

Thanks

Eve
    Eve

There is quite a lot of information on this forum about booking special campsites in the Serengeti. As you will read, it is not so easy and the best way is to go to the TANAPA HQ in Arusha and book them there (or get an Arusha-based travel agent to do it for you).

With the aid of internet-based resources, a guide book and a map of the Serengeti, it should not be difficult to work out which area you want to be in in February. For instance, Herdtracker https://www.discoverafrica.com/migration/map/ is a very good resource and it explains the migration very well.

The names of the special campsites are much more logical than they used to be. For instance, all the ones called SERO or Seronera are in the Seronera area; all those called LOBO are in the Lobo area, and so on. In February, you will want to be in the southern Serengeti which is where the calves are born on the short grass plains. Seronera, Moro, Olbaiye, Ndutu etc are the ones to look out for on a map. But you might have to take what is available at that time, but ensure you are in the southern Serengeti and not Lobo etc in the north. If you look on a map you will see names of plains, streams, kopjes etc which will give you the hint of what the area is called and what the special campsites in that area are likely to be called. But as everyone has said before, the special campsites are moved quite often and finding them can be a challenge. They are just pieces of Africa.

Good luck with your bookings.

So as to help my internet friend, Stan Weakley (and possibly others), I have compiled the attached Word document with the areas in which the special campsites are located. This I did using the Giovanni Tombazzi map of the Serengeti National Park - and everyone's friend Mr Google.

During my research with Google, I came upon a General Management Plan for the Serengeti NP for the period 2006-2016. It is a long document, but on pages 64-67 are the names of the special campsites and this too gave me the areas in which the special campsites are located. I am attaching a copy of this document.

I am not going to post a map of the Serengeti as everyone can buy a map and see where, for example, the Moru Kopjes or Lake Ndutu are located.
    Attached Files Attached Files

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

This is very handy info indeed, thank you W.W. The General Management Plan is also an interesting document to read.

Of interest to me was the list of Ranger posts listed in the GMP which I include. These are handy if you are trying to locate your nearby Special Campsite or extend or change your special campsite booking. I recall many of them being signposted in the park and the location of others speak for themselves. I see some of them are indicated in my only Serengeti Map which is the one by Veronica Roodt. From what I have seen of the Giovanni Tombazzi map they might well all be shown on it.

Ranger posts and gates:

Fort Ikoma
    Kenyangaga
    Lamai
    Kokatende
    Tabora
    Bologonja
    Klein's
    Lobo
    Ikoma Gate
    Naabi Gate
    Moru
    Duma
    Handajega
    Seronera
    Nyasirori
    Ndabaka
    Kirawira
    Stanley Weakley.

OR

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Lobo 1:
    Not sure if I can add much to the competent reports already given but here goes..
    I would appreciate if someone could confirm these coordinates.
    S2°0’55.6”
    E35°12’36.2”
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lobo map.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	465059
    There are signs on the road showing where the campsite is. Lobo2 on the GT map is where the Lobo1 sign on the road is, as far as we could see. But it is not a problem - it is clearly signed. The site is surrounded by bush and very pleasant. Easy to find firewood. Good accessibility to all game drives in the area. Short and long Grumeti game drive circuit marked on GT map very recommendable. A meal can be had at Lobo Lodge for 40$pp and is not quite as luxurious as the price might indicate. The nearby public campsite has 2 showers and toilets on each side (M/F) so it is easy to stop by for a shower if no one else is there but not viable if a tour operator arrives. We could also fill up our water canisters here. Very helpful rangers at nearby ranger station.
    Photos of the campsite were posted by Daafvader previously. Here are two pics of the Grumeti drive although I can't do justice to the feeling of space.
    I would definitely go here again, although, as mentioned by Stan in his initial post on this thread, as follow up site I would prefer anything near Bologonja about 3 hours north of Lobo.

Name:	Lobo Game Drive.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	465061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lobo Game Drive 2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	465062

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carol28 For This Useful Post:

Seronera extra special campsite

S2°25’40.4
    E34°52’21.9

Name:	Seronera Extra Special.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	465068
    I am not sure what the “extra special” means. We got allocated this campsite without extra charge in Seronera when we were not able to complete the East to West crossing from Lobo. It is a magnificent site with good shade on a small river, very peaceful. Much game in the area. It was not as easy to go to the public campsite for a shower here as they were quite full but there was many places to fill up water cannisters and solar shower bags.

We did not reach Woga7 but is indeed a long way from the Mara river. As mentioned in the previous post, it would have been better to have a special campsite (or any campsite) near Bolongonja north of Lobo or somewhere along the Mara River but none were available. This is the difficulty of having to wait until one is in Arusha to book.

We also did not stay at KiraWira2 as planned, however the turnoff to KiraWira2 is clearly marked on the main road and coincided with the GT map. The area around the turnoff was the most intense tsetse area that we had. The campsite itself would almost certainly have had fewer flies, it changes quite rapidly. Judging from other posts, it is a worthwhile visit.

One more remark about finding the TANAPA office in Arusha - the location on T4A is roughly correct however there is no sign at all to indicate that TANAPA is in the building complex. The sign on the outside of the building is African Court on Human and Peoples Rights. You go the entrance boom and ask for TANAPA and they show you through.

For some reason I am unable to upload a photo now. Will try later.

...and one more question: would you like info on Tarangire and Manyara sites here or "just" Serengeti?
    Last edited by Carol28; 2017/10/22 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Photo added

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carol28 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Carol28 View Post
    ...and one more question: would you like info on Tarangire and Manyara sites here or "just" Serengeti?
    Carol, the info on the Lobo, Seronera extra special campsite and the Tanapa offices is very handy, thank you.

I think details on special campsites in Tarangire and Manyara would be much appreciated.
    Stanley Weakley.

OR

Sorry for the delay. We are still on the road, although no longer in Africa.

Tarangire
    :
    1) Hondohondo:
    These are the coordinates given in T4A but in fact you have to drive 200-300m further down the track and you will see a large cleared space. It is a very large area so I assume that it is mostly used for tour operators however we were allocated the site in Arusha based on a cancelled reservation from a tour operator.
    S4°5’26.2”
    E36°6’36.4”
    This is a magnificent site. On the approach road you drive over a small rise and as you come down you are confronted with a huge wetland, even at the end of the dry season, and a huge array of wildlife. The camp is in a well shaded, secluded area with a view of the wetland.

Name:	Tarangire 1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	467203

2) Nyuki
    S3°52’48.6”
    E36°5’34.6”
    In the north east, not too far from the entrance. Very dry area with less game. Having said that, we did sight a leopard not far away. Elephant and buffalo visit the site.
    The site is a large open area with little shade other than a few baobabs on the perimeter. A shade canopy is needed for this site. Very hard soil in dry season so difficult to put pegs into the ground.

Name:	Nyuki 1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	467204

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carol28 For This Useful Post:

Absolute highlight!

Lake Manyara

Lakeshore campsite.
    Very easy to find, good signs on the road. Incredible view of lake with flamingos, marabous…and so many more. Early morning on top of the car roof would be great for taking in the show.
    Campsite has no shade at all. Very advisable to bring a shade canopy. Sandy soil.

Name:	Lakeshore position.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	467205
    Position of Lakeshore campsite. The park is small so distances are short.

Name:	Manyara1.png 
Views:	116 
Size:	870.6 KB 
ID:	467207

Name:	Manyara 3.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	467208
    Evening

Name:	Manyara2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	467209
    Morning
    Last edited by Carol28; 2017/11/12 at 02:42 AM.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Carol28 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast