Namakwa eco 4x4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Namakwa eco 4x4

Default Namakwa eco 4x4

Hi All

Any advice on the below trip itinerary for the Namakwa eco 4x4 trail, I need to finalist my trip.

17 Sep: Pella
    18 Sep: Eco Trail Section 1
    19 Sep: Eco Trail Section 1
    20 Sep: Eco Trail Section 1
    21 Sep: Eco Trail Section 2
    22 Sep: Eco Trail Section 2

Where would I camp in Pella? I would prefer to have facilities for this nights. Stocking up on water and have a final hot shower.
    Tourism informed me that there are numerous camp sites along namakwa routes namely
    Eco trail 1: Grootmelkboom, Ramansdrift or Kamgab
    Eco trail 2: Spitskloof and Bakkrans

Is it worth camping on these sites for an additional R150 per night or do you guys suggest camping next to the route?
    If I will camp on the sites, what site will I camp on what days? obviously I dont wont to backtrack to a campsite, it must be on my route.

Thanks All

Default Re: Namakwa eco 4x4

We did section 1 in April (In the "wrong" direction).

Remember some parts of road is "public" roads as well - specially during the first part of route. Sleeping along the route only a option, in my opinion, along the last part of route. The area along the river changes every year - what is now nice grass banks might be a rocky riverbed next year.

Camping at Klein Pella have ablution etc.
    Grootmelkboom - Nice area although tree was struck by lightening couple years back.
    Ramansdrift. - did not see a nice area to camp. Would miss it.
    Kamgab - Still my favorite. Nice 4x4 drive down the Kamgab river to Oranjeriver. Normally on your own - except maybe a few goats!

If you want to spent 3 days on this section you will have to spend two nights at one spot. My choice would be Kamgab.

This part of the route to N7 is in my view the most scenic.

I believe if you sleep next to the road you still have to pay for camping.
    Last edited by ChrisA; 2017/06/21 at 08:55 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisA For This Useful Post:

We did the route from Vioolsdrif to Pella last week. Klein Pella SPLENDID camping for the area. I did not pay anything anyone. Started around 10AM and finished in Pofadder next afternoon. We camped at Vuurmaakberg in the veld.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

You are supposed to pay when you make your booking. I now nobody is checking - but...

Hi Stekel

We did this on our way to Richtersveld a few years ago. More here: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d-Richtersveld.

I'm not sure if it changed that much, but back then the R150 was for part 1, not per night. The word "camp site" is used very loosely, as it merely indicates where people typically setup camp when doing the route. There is no facilities except for running water called Oranje Rivier. We stocked up in Keimoes for water and wood, and Pofadder for fuel. Shower was done straight from the river.. or a little black bag on the roofrack.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy! It is a very beautiful part of our country.
    -------------------

Corne
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 (Die Koets)
    Some mods

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspot View Post
    Hi Stekel

We did this on our way to Richtersveld a few years ago. More here: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d-Richtersveld.

I'm not sure if it changed that much, but back then the R150 was for part 1, not per night. The word "camp site" is used very loosely, as it merely indicates where people typically setup camp when doing the route. There is no facilities except for running water called Oranje Rivier. We stocked up in Keimoes for water and wood, and Pofadder for fuel. Shower was done straight from the river.. or a little black bag on the roofrack.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy! It is a very beautiful part of our country.
    Thanks

Its now R350 per route and an additional R150 per camp, but they require you to indicate were you want to camp on what day. Dont know how they will check this. What if I book one of the campsites and when I get there some other guy pitched his tent there.
    Anyway, I know there is no facilities and this is why I am asking where would be the best in Pella as I assume there will be a campsite with facilities before I go into the bush.

Hi Stekel

The last time we did this route we camped at Klein Pella Guest Farm, it is a lovely camp site with good ablutions. We are heading that way again in August. I booked a camp site for R400 per night.
    Glenda Goosen and Lauren Veldsman
    [email protected]
    Tel 054 972 9712
    Fax 054 972 9713
    Cell 082 554 5995
    Last edited by RonB; 2017/06/21 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Contact details

No campsite, fuel or convenient store in Pella. Nama town.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Apology. Didn't know I need to book in advance. Saw the sign of the turnoff from the borderpost road and took it. Found nobody on the route and exited in Pella. Will pay in arrears if possible?
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

There is a campsite Rus-I-Bietjie in Pofadder which has 220v power and hot showers. It is in town, so traffic noise and barking dogs during the night.
    I would not camp their over week-ends and paydays though...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, I'm interested in doing this route next year winter, one of my mates has a 2x4 Fortuner, would that suffice, or is 4x4 a necessity?

We will all be towing off road camping trailers.
    Geoff Craig
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    (M)
    '14 VW Polo 1.2 TSI HL (SWAMBO's)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort
    4x4 Action Group membership

If you stick to the main land you can do it with 2x4 without trailer. Only close to the river the sand gets thick. 2x4 and trailer...i wont take that chance. We took 1 trailer and the trailer got stuck in the sand even with 4x4. Drive a distance from each other if one get stuck you can recover.

The top section of the route will probably be OK with 2x4, however between Kwass and Delwerskamp there is two sections of nice thick sand. I would hate to tackle is without 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by Stekel View Post
    If you stick to the main land you can do it with 2x4 without trailer. Only close to the river the sand gets thick. 2x4 and trailer...i wont take that chance. We took 1 trailer and the trailer got stuck in the sand even with 4x4. Drive a distance from each other if one get stuck you can recover.
    So if we really want to do this we would have to go through with a trailer (towed by a 4x4) and come back and hook up the 2x4's trailer and drag it through, there will most likely be 2 x 4x4 vehicles and 1 x 2x4
    Geoff Craig
    (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Wave View Post
    So if we really want to do this we would have to go through with a trailer (towed by a 4x4) and come back and hook up the 2x4's trailer and drag it through, there will most likely be 2 x 4x4 vehicles and 1 x 2x4
    Yes that should work. Or first go through with one 4x4 and then let him follow. If he get stuck you van recover from both sides

Thanks for the info guys!
    Geoff Craig
    (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Wave View Post
    Thanks for the info guys!
    We did the trip last year September, post your itinerary here then I can make some suggestions and comments or show you photos. I found that we struggled to find proper updated info regarding the route before we left.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stekel For This Useful Post:

Will do, we are still in the initial planning, dates and number of vehicles still to be confirmed, but when I'm ready I will coming asking
    Geoff Craig
    (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Stekel View Post
    Hi All

Any advice on the below trip itinerary for the Namakwa eco 4x4 trail, I need to finalist my trip.

17 Sep: Pella
    18 Sep: Eco Trail Section 1
    19 Sep: Eco Trail Section 1
    20 Sep: Eco Trail Section 1
    21 Sep: Eco Trail Section 2
    22 Sep: Eco Trail Section 2

Where would I camp in Pella? I would prefer to have facilities for this nights. Stocking up on water and have a final hot shower.
    Tourism informed me that there are numerous camp sites along namakwa routes namely
    Eco trail 1: Grootmelkboom, Ramansdrift or Kamgab
    Eco trail 2: Spitskloof and Bakkrans

Is it worth camping on these sites for an additional R150 per night or do you guys suggest camping next to the route?
    If I will camp on the sites, what site will I camp on what days? obviously I dont wont to backtrack to a campsite, it must be on my route.

Thanks All
    Hi Stekel

Northern Cape tourism manages the route and are keen on preserving the route and it is good for us to support them by paying the camping fees etc. Despite there being no facilities etc. I've personally met with them and they are trying hard to get support and funding to keep this as an attraction to the area.

I did the route between Pella and Vioolsdrift in April. Note if there has been rains, there is a strong potential to get get stuck in a "DRY" riverbed. (I did).

If you've paid, I have stock of the route maps and this guide phamplet is far better than the email guide the Northern Cape Tourism will send to you. (you can have this for free from me).

If you start the trail at Pella, in the morning, your first night could be a at Klein Pella lodge and you won't miss Charlie's Pass which is just outside Pella.

The campsites at Grootmelkboom, etc. are basically like wild camping. There is nothing there but beauty. (there is no "campsite", just a beautiful place to enjoy). There are 2 individuals who are locals (they live in shacks and have a few goats etc.) but they are far away and will not bother you. Say hello to them just to announce your presence and out of politeness. All these scattered locals are aware of tourists using the trail and they've been briefed by Northern Cape Tourism who drive the actual route on a regular basis checking that all is in order.

Let me know if you need further info.

Enjoy this beautiful trail. Note that after Grootmelkboom, the scenary gets more and more amazing, just make sure you capture these with your camera!

Quote Originally Posted by Ykader View Post
    Hi Stekel

Northern Cape tourism manages the route and are keen on preserving the route and it is good for us to support them by paying the camping fees etc. Despite there being no facilities etc. I've personally met with them and they are trying hard to get support and funding to keep this as an attraction to the area.

I did the route between Pella and Vioolsdrift in April. Note if there has been rains, there is a strong potential to get get stuck in a "DRY" riverbed. (I did).

If you've paid, I have stock of the route maps and this guide phamplet is far better than the email guide the Northern Cape Tourism will send to you. (you can have this for free from me).

If you start the trail at Pella, in the morning, your first night could be a at Klein Pella lodge and you won't miss Charlie's Pass which is just outside Pella.

The campsites at Grootmelkboom, etc. are basically like wild camping. There is nothing there but beauty. (there is no "campsite", just a beautiful place to enjoy). There are 2 individuals who are locals (they live in shacks and have a few goats etc.) but they are far away and will not bother you. Say hello to them just to announce your presence and out of politeness. All these scattered locals are aware of tourists using the trail and they've been briefed by Northern Cape Tourism who drive the actual route on a regular basis checking that all is in order.

Let me know if you need further info.

Enjoy this beautiful trail. Note that after Grootmelkboom, the scenary gets more and more amazing, just make sure you capture these with your camera!
    Thanks. This post is however more than a year old and we did complete the entire route in Sep 2017. If anyone else needs help, do not hesitate to contact me as I now know the route and all it has to offer. I can share advice and photos. Well worth it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast