Alternatives to a CdP for longer parking in Tanzania

Default Alternatives to a CdP for longer parking in Tanzania

Hello!
    I know this question is already been discussed in a different way...
    I donīt get an answer for my problem therefore my first posting in this forum:

What are the alternatives to a carnet for Tanzania?

We would like to park our lovely Landcruiser in Tanzania for a period of one year. TIP will function only 90 days (they told us).
    We would like to apply for the carnet, but it is very expensive for us. Our Landcruiser is registered in NAM. We ourselves are from Europe and would have to deposit 100% of the car value to get a carnet de passage. This is really a lot.
    What are the alternatives for us? Does anybody knows?
    In the worst case we have to change the parking place after 3 months driving to a country where I can stay as long as I want. But that must be the really worst case...

Greetings from
    Bufo

Default Re: Alternatives to a CdP for longer parking in Tanzania

You don't necessarily have to pay the carnet in cash - if you are in good standing with your bank, they should agree to put up a guarantee against either cash in the bank, or fixed property. The other option would be to hop across the border to Zambia or Malawi and leave the vehicle there (no carnet required for a Nam vehicle in either).
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Alternatives to a CdP for longer parking in Tanzania

Quote Originally Posted by Bufotoxin View Post
    Hello!
    I know this question is already been discussed in a different way...
    I donīt get an answer for my problem therefore my first posting in this forum:

What are the alternatives to a carnet for Tanzania?

We would like to park our lovely Landcruiser in Tanzania for a period of one year. TIP will function only 90 days (they told us).
    We would like to apply for the carnet, but it is very expensive for us. Our Landcruiser is registered in NAM. We ourselves are from Europe and would have to deposit 100% of the car value to get a carnet de passage. This is really a lot.
    What are the alternatives for us? Does anybody knows?
    In the worst case we have to change the parking place after 3 months driving to a country where I can stay as long as I want. But that must be the really worst case...

Greetings from
    Bufo

There is so much confusion as to what a Carnet de Passage is. I will try and make this clear.

• A Carnet de Passage is the vehicle's "passport". A Temporary Import Permit can be issued in lieu of a Carnet de Passage, but some countries insist on a Carnet de Passage for foreign vehicles.
    • A vehicle in most foreign countries needs a "visa" in addition to its "passport".
    • "Visas" for vehicles come in the form of foreign vehicle road tax/carbon tax or variations on the theme. For Tanzania (and Kenya) these are only valid for a period of up to three months. This is similar to visas for people in that there is a period of validity.
    • It is up to the Carnet issuing authority in the country of registration of the vehicle as to whether they will issue a renewal of a Carnet. Remember that a Carnet is only valid for one year.

The answer is you cannot legally leave a vehicle in most African countries for a year regardless of whether you have a Carnet or a TIP.