Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Default Re: Almost died twice in Moremi

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Enough said.
    +100%

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Then you should not be using platforms like these to distribute your future commercial content.
    Would a charitable cause also constitute "commercial content "?

I have no other motive for asking but to learn from your comment.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post

PM me with the real question don't want to take this off topic, but in short probably no.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Enough said.
    While reading the whole thread, I tried my best to keep an open mind about the OP.

Reading the post you quoted, I agree.

Suddenly now I am questioning the real motive behind his antics.

there is a disturbing tendency for people to be total irresponsible idiots around wild life (edit: and in general for that matter) in the name of entertainment (and - more to the point - making money off it)

even supposedly 'professional' and 'responsible' organizations such as National Geographic are guilty of this kind of thing.

I can cite a couple of recent examples in this area - baboons and shark 'documentaries' specifically - that have left a very sour taste in people's mouths when it comes to any kind of filming for profit.

With the rise of cheap (low quality) filming equipment, and social media platforms to air it on, everyone and their dog thinks they are the next Johnny Knoxville and looking for some stupid antic to get those all important hits on their videos.

"Guerrilla" film making is one thing - but you've still got to be responsible when you do it. irresponsible and amateurish 'Guerrilla' filming - such as this - is just something that makes trouble for everyone.
    Last edited by Apocalypse; 2017/06/19 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post

Dirk being an administrator has always had an open mind and allowed discussion to develop to its final conclusion.

My view is that I personally have no issue with a charitable cause as long actions and reporting are within what can be argued to be the "norm" and fair which is always debatable.

There are a few threads that have a slight tinge of "commercial content" take the "Tara Flory - Botswana Footprints" thread which is in response to uncalled/unfair for criticism of a service provider and therefor debatably fine, even with the complainants issue being valid. The support for Tara and her business has been strong. An example of a good report which is positive, constructive and educational must be Stan's "Slow Donkey" thread and his blog. His learnings before during the planning and those he picked up along the way were shared passionately with the objective of sharing.

If one claims a charitable cause and state "We aren't making any money yet but we have it all set up for when we have enough followers", then one should expect criticism if you did not give the details upfront otherwise it may be construed to be for commercial gain and not for charity. I believe that the OP has not been open and clear about his intentions from the beginning of his thread and subsequent postings.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

I can not actually believe that people are complaining about the fact that I am willing to give the money i make to do a good thing. That includes you Dirk. I am not making anything from it. In fact, i use my own money to shoot these videos and whatever i make i put towards helping the less fortunate.

I knew i should not have mentioned it because there would once again be a bunch of complaining suurgatte. Let me ask you keyboard warriors how much have you done?

It is absolutely shocking how people can be so selfish.
    Last edited by Sakkiebomskok; 2017/06/20 at 01:17 AM.

New episode for those of you who enjoy them. This one is a little bit gory so dont show it to your kids until you have seen it yourself.

People complain about drones in nature too? Last time I checked they were being used to prevent poaching too. Get used to it. You will have a robot autonomous 4x4 in the next 15-20 years that will drive you through these reserves too. At least then the klakouse on the forum with nothing better to do (really sad) cant blame you if you get stuck.

Kids today dont watch TV anymore and most people from the older generation simply dont get this. Its all about Youtube and Snapchat. They also mostly dont like traditional film making as much as the rest. Probably more reason for us to be responsible when posting these videos as they will be the future visitors of our beautiful continent, be it in autonomous robot 4x4s. If a local gets killed by a Giraffe then trade deficits decrease. If a yank gets killed trade deficits increase. Simple.

Having said that, I dont think you did anything wrong. In fact I think you did the Youtube generation a huge favour by showing them what not to do when they do visit us one day. They wont be as quick as you are and its good to make people aware of the dangers. Especially who are not from Africa.

I miss and we need another Steve Irwin to teach these kids, so please keep up the good work.
    Last edited by ryanbe; 2017/06/20 at 07:50 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryanbe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbe View Post
    People complain about drones in nature too? Last time I checked they were being used to prevent poaching too. Get used to it. You will have a robot autonomous 4x4 in the next 15-20 years that will drive you through these reserves too. At least then the klakouse on the forum with nothing better to do (really sad) cant blame you if you get stuck.

Kids today dont watch TV anymore and most people from the older generation simply dont get this. Its all about Youtube and Snapchat. They also mostly dont like traditional film making as much as the rest. Probably more reason for us to be responsible when posting these videos as they will be the future visitors of our beautiful continent, be it in autonomous robot 4x4s. If a local gets killed by a Giraffe then trade deficits decrease. If a yank gets killed trade deficits increase. Simple.

Having said that, I dont think you did anything wrong. In fact I think you did the Youtube generation a huge favour by showing them what not to do when they do visit us one day. They wont be as quick as you are and its good to make people aware of the dangers. Especially who are not from Africa.

I miss and we need another Steve Irwin to teach these kids, so please keep up the good work.

As I recall, Steve Irwin died from being a knob around wild animals.

One was more than enough....

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post

You are right Alex, but lets be honest, Steve went out of his way to become a wildlife kill, I thought he would have been killed a lot earlier in his career. I also opposed his ethics where ever I could! O and lets not forget our own two SA characters...If I recall....Mike and Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post

I remember the time he caught a black mamba by its tail! The man had b... of steel. RIP
    2007 Fortuner 3 D4D, 4x4
    2015 Ford Ranger 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    You are right Alex, but lets be honest, Steve went out of his way to become a wildlife kill, I thought he would have been killed a lot earlier in his career. I also opposed his ethics where ever I could! O and lets not forget our own two SA characters...If I recall....Mike and Mark!

Yes but look at how much he did for conservation. And I think Bindi is also into it now when she isnt modelling.hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Hardekool View Post
    I remember the time he caught a black mamba by its tail! The man had b... of steel. RIP
    Regarding the antics of many of these Geographic and Discovery rangers catching snakes etc. I have it on good authority that most of it was staged!

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkiebomskok View Post
    Yes but look at how much he did for conservation. And I think Bindi is also into it now when she isnt modelling.hehe
    Not sure what he did for conservation, I know that his zoo and series made him buckets of money!

And thanks to him we have 1000s of aspiring Steves running around wildlife creating the impression that its ok to handle, etc wild animals!

Can someone please tell me if drones are banned in the Botswana parks as well?
    Please quote or give reference if so
    Thank You
    It's all about the journey..
    Toyota Land Cruiser 100 GX
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 Trooper
    Toyota Land Cruiser 60 3F
    Conqueror Companion

This was posted by another member a while ago.

Restricted areas of operation section: points 3, 4, 5.

Or look here: http://www.caab.co.bw/caab-content.php?cid=236
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2017/06/20 at 11:16 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

22. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkiebomskok View Post
    I can not actually believe that people are complaining about the fact that I am willing to give the money i make to do a good thing. That includes you Dirk. I am not making anything from it. In fact, i use my own money to shoot these videos and whatever i make i put towards helping the less fortunate.

I knew i should not have mentioned it because there would once again be a bunch of complaining suurgatte. Let me ask you keyboard warriors how much have you done?

It is absolutely shocking how people can be so selfish.
    Dirk's post was not directed at your charitable motives, rather that you utilize this forum as a platform. As you may come to appreciate, there are commercial members on this forum that pays for advertisement privileges etc. As far as I have it, you are not a commercial member. Quite frankly, you actions are unfair towards these members.

I would strongly advise that you become conversant with the TOS of this forum. And stick to it.

Insofar as to your comment about the "suurgatte", especially given the posts made by our more senior and well respected forumites, it is evident that you still have a lot to learn. Most of the critique given were constructive in its nature and not meant to put you down. Your childish reaction is uncalled for.

If I were you, I would choose the wording of my next post very carefully.
    Last edited by Ricoffy; 2017/06/20 at 11:18 AM.

https://www.southerndestinations.com/drones-on-safari/

Being a klakous/suurgat here is an interesting website on drones.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

Maybe the OP needs to move on, I don't appreciate being called a suurgat.

27. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7