Almost died twice in Moremi - Page 5

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Almost died twice in Moremi

Quote Originally Posted by Hardekool View Post
    Keep the videos coming Sakkiebomskok, and learn as you go!
    I somehow think the source of videos will cease quite quickly as more attempts are taken to 'learn'.

"well, hello there nice Hyena. See you walked into my camp. Fancy a steak, finger, hand or maybe all of me?"
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - Lots of Mods(check thread) - [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by janfloris View Post
    Aai. How I wish all of the ou "suurgatte" here would leave this forum and find a place to moan and insult others elsewhere! That's why I never post stories on this forum. There is ALWAYS one or two keyboard warriors that would start a fight or insult you - they always know better. Especially when it comes to wild animals or 4x4 recovery! Don't post a pic where you have zoomed in too close on the animal (you could have disturbed the animal and should be banned from the bush), or a pic/video of your best and safest 4x4 recovery (your winch may not be mounted safely, or your kinetic strap is of a crap brand or your recovery points are dangerous). Someone will always moan about something and tell you how stupid you are.

Sometimes I wish the forum had the same emoji's as whatsapp. There is a specific one with a middle finger in the air that I would use on a regular basis when replying to some comments here!
    Perhaps you should find another forum.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    I somehow think the source of videos will cease quite quickly as more attempts are taken to 'learn'.

"well, hello there nice Hyena. See you walked into my camp. Fancy a steak, finger, hand or maybe all of me?"
    You should see what happens in Zambia when a hippo chases us. Crazy stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Perhaps you should find another forum.

He does have a point though. There are useful and very helpful posts and then there are SOME that should rather be kept for themselves.

I enjoy this forum tremendously but of late it has started feeling awkward posting anything. You are always scared you will be ripped to pieces if you are not 100% correct and if you ask the wrong question .........YO YO YO?

I liked the way it used to be ........ if you did something wrong you were corrected and laughed at, not injury or death wished for you, if you asked a question, silly or not, it was answered and you were teased, not told you should rather not ask opinions or admonished for asking it.

Can't we go back there rather?
    2016 Ford Ranger 3.2 Wildtrak
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    2012 Jeep Rubicon (Sold)
    2008 Discovery V8 (Sold)
    1961 Series ll 88" (Sold)

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inkanyamba For This Useful Post:

I don't know, I enjoyed the video. Experience is experience, you can always learn from this. Anyway, made me want to go to the delta again and I am at work.

Wrangler Sahara 3.8
    Ex: 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7
    Ex: 2001 Cherokee XJ 4.0
    Ex: 1997 Cherokee XJ 4.0

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tadek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Inkanyamba View Post
    I liked the way it used to be ........ if you did something wrong you were corrected and laughed at, not injury or death wished for you, if you asked a question, silly or not, it was answered and you were teased, not told you should rather not ask opinions or admonished for asking it.
    I agree the injury or death posts are uncalled for, but behaving badly in the bush and then posting a video of it (and giving it a misleading title, ie "almost died twice.." when there were no crocs about), and then gloating over the number of You-tube hits... well, a roasting is called for. This forum has done a huge amount to stop bad behaviour in the bush by the 4x4 community, and I regard that as being one of its more important functions. I've seen a lion's back broken by a giraffe - I'd hate to see what it would do to a human skull.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Hi Janfloris, your statement below refers:

"Aai. How I wish all of the ou "suurgatte" here would leave this forum and find a place to moan and insult others elsewhere! That's why I never post stories on this forum. There is ALWAYS one or two keyboard warriors that would start a fight or insult you - they always know better. Especially when it comes to wild animals or 4x4 recovery! Don't post a pic where you have zoomed in too close on the animal (you could have disturbed the animal and should be banned from the bush), or a pic/video of your best and safest 4x4 recovery (your winch may not be mounted safely, or your kinetic strap is of a crap brand or your recovery points are dangerous). Someone will always moan about something and tell you how stupid you are."

You must have read this on another forum, I don't recall any of the above as being stated by any of our forumites, which begs the question- how childish is this argument? It is also uncalled for.

Calling an idiot an idiot at the right time and place is fine by me. I have read quite a bit on this forum, and it is because of this forum that I don't really go 4x4-ing( and the fact that a disco3 is too expensive to maintain ). But in any case, for me, I don't go 4x4ing because I do not have the correct recovery gear, training and more. Because of this forum I have seen what happens when you don't use the correct recovery gear. Because of this forum I will not put my best mate, or his wife, or my fiance at risk by doing something stupid.

Before I go out 4x4ing again, with the disco or any other car, there is a lot of stuff I need to do.

1) Get correct recovery gear
    2) Go with experienced drivers( The one time I went on my own I almost rolled the Disco)
    3) Ensure car is in fantastic mechanical condition
    4) Find out how recoveries should be done to ensure they are safe and effective
    5) Learn how to handle my car, and which "lines" to take( By instruction of more experienced drivers)

Sometimes hard words are needed to ensure that you see the error in your ways. I for example recall seeing incidents where incorrect recovery was blasted to pieces, and at first I thought, could it really be that bad? Why are the forumites so angry? Then I started researching, and saw what happens if you do stupid stuff. So, the "suurgatte" has a point.

Now, wishing that someone dies, that is uncalled for.

I had empathy to a degree with the OP, but hell, I am starting to think the OP is an attention seeking "idiot", who will sooner or later be on the front cover of a newspaper, for all the wrong reasons.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkiebomskok View Post
    Did you try and say 'hi' to it too?
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - Lots of Mods(check thread) - [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Hi Janfloris, your statement below refers:

"Aai. How I wish all of the ou "suurgatte" here would leave this forum and find a place to moan and insult others elsewhere! That's why I never post stories on this forum. There is ALWAYS one or two keyboard warriors that would start a fight or insult you - they always know better. Especially when it comes to wild animals or 4x4 recovery! Don't post a pic where you have zoomed in too close on the animal (you could have disturbed the animal and should be banned from the bush), or a pic/video of your best and safest 4x4 recovery (your winch may not be mounted safely, or your kinetic strap is of a crap brand or your recovery points are dangerous). Someone will always moan about something and tell you how stupid you are."

You must have read this on another forum, I don't recall any of the above as being stated by any of our forumites, which begs the question- how childish is this argument? It is also uncalled for.
    Nope, this is pretty much what is happening all over this forum - not just this in thread, a sad trend that has started to rear its ugly head the past few years.

One must literally be blind not see it. He is absolutely correct about this.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Probably more fun than watching some old fart, with no music, and no generator, and no booze, and no sense of humour, straightening a tent peg for the umpteenth time before it gets dark and he cant see anymore.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Before I give up, let me try to explain what I am getting at again briefly point by point.

More for the inexperienced that maybe does not understand exactly what they are looking at and the possible effects, than yourself.

1. You want the whole world to see your videos.
    2. You want to make the entire world aware of wild life in Africa
    3. You bring yourself over as an expert and bush wise
    4. You post lots of stuff on Youtube
    5. One of the videos shows you walking up to a wild animal. (It does not show the 2 hour lapse)
    6. Mr Fong Wong sees your video
    7. Mr Fong Wong visits Moremi
    8. Mr Fong Wong walks up to a lion or hippo because the wise guy in the You tube video made it seem OK
    9. Mr Fong Wong dies

You see where I am going?

In short, the more one puts oneself on a pedestal as knowledgeable and experienced, the more circumspect one should be about one's postings and the possible repercussions of it.

Peace and over and out. You admitted it was a mistake. A fully avoidable one, but a mistake nonetheless.
    So... Basically, he has to take responsibility for Mr Fong Wong's stupidity? Lol

His life.
    His videos.
    His choices.
    His responsibility.

I liked the video, I personally would not have walked up to a wild animal, but that does not mean I can insult him and say he is an idiot for making a choice other than mine.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RJDenil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NerdBakkie View Post
    A divided forum here... which is understandable I guess...

Being a bit of a novice in the bush myself, i enjoyed the video when i first watched it, but then realized all the "wrongdoing" once I'd carried on reading the thread. Some comments from Stan Weakley and one or two others are respectful, full of wisdom and have advice offered through knowledge... I've learned from these, so thank you to those that chose to add value by dispensing a warning and some advice in a useful manner.

Others are just nasty, negative and arrogant, which is annoying, stops others from sharing their stories and divides the forum like so many COMMENTS sections of most SA news and social media sites... Yes, making mistakes in the bush is bad, can cost lives and livelihoods... but please, if you have knowledge & wisdom, share it in a manner that will make a difference to someones behavior; IE with respect, even if you feel they haven't respected the very wildlife they are visiting. M2CW.

p.s. its good to be "back" on the forum dispensing my unasked for advice after a few years of silence
    Couldn't have said it better

@Sakkiebomskok

- Thanks for sharing your videos - really enjoyed the music as well !
    - You admitted your mistakes - hopefully also learned something in the process - In my opinion , mission accomplished !
    - You also had the balls to post it here so that others can learn.
    - We all make mistakes - so forgive some of these keyboard critics ( they never make mistakes and admit to it in a public forum )
    - enjoy your future trips.
    Last edited by 4x4 wannabie; 2017/06/13 at 07:19 PM.
    Metalian Maxi

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 wannabie For This Useful Post:

This is seriously funny. All the comments should and should not be done. Just some thoughts
    1) How far away from wild animals is far enough?
    2) What would you do if you are in seriou #### in the bush?
    3) Humans are notoriously communicative
    4) We all learn from mistakes
    5) All those whiners and correctional wiseguys. Go and sit in a corner and think when last you did something stupid.

I grew up in the bush. I did many stupid things in my live. I have a healthy respect for wild animals (including treehuggers). So, take points 1 and 2 and go back to the corner. And stay there. I actually think it was a video well done. And Mr Whon might have noticed that a Giraffe can be dangerous. Nice video.
    2002 Discovery td5

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Nambro For This Useful Post:

Live and let live.

Well I'm no angel and we all do things that might be acceptable initially but turn out stupid in hindsight.

Now I did not see anything that bad [except the terrible recovery] and not really dangerous initially. But being in the bush I have huge respect for a camelhorse. Tame they are even more dangerous. So a basic encounter that could have turned out bad and then the recovery.... But then again you might not have known better, being the biggest reason I GIVE MAHALA TRAINING WITH MY GEAR! Recoveries can be much more dangerous. So if I did that recovery I should have been hung, quartered and drawn because I know better. If you dont know better then you use means and knowledge you have. [should trade the Toyota in for a VW]

I think most are jealous and envious of a fantastic trip! Keep the videos coming.

.....you know about the ignore feature........
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination of coronaviruses
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Did you try and say 'hi' to it too?
    This time it wasn't our fault. Its a semi tame hippo that the people said should just stay in the dam. And i reluctantly got out and it chased us. And the whille trying to get away a monkey attacked nic. I nearly peed laughing. Keep watching the video will come.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 wannabie View Post
    @Sakkiebomskok

- Thanks for sharing your videos - really enjoyed the music as well !
    - You admitted your mistakes - hopefully also learned something in the process - In my opinion , mission accomplished !
    - You also had the balls to post it here so that others can learn.
    - We all make mistakes - so forgive some of these keyboard critics ( they never make mistakes and admit to it in a public forum )
    - enjoy your future trips.
    Out of all the comments i believe this one is a lie!! Someone on this forum likes the music?! It can't be. You must be the youngest member on here. All the ballies keep telling me to use better music. Like what? Baardskeerdersbos boereorkes? Or Enya?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sakkiebomskok For This Useful Post:

Out of all the comments i believe this one is a lie!! Someone on this forum likes the music?! It can't be. You must be the youngest member on here. All the ballies keep telling me to use better music. Like what? Baardskeerdersbos boereorkes? Or Enya?
    My suggestion ' Radio Rats ' on the next one but then I am from Suspension City

O and for those of you who don't know. Its part of a 3month series.. Here is episode 1
    Your videos are fantastic, well done, you can give Sir Andrew Pierre White a run for money

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sechaba For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast