Almost died twice in Moremi - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Almost died twice in Moremi

Quote Originally Posted by Troll777 View Post
    That drone footage and music is really awesome! Did u guys put it together or get a pro to put the vids together for you? If it's your first time and you did it you've got quite a knack for it, wow

Also what drone is it?

Enjoying the videos, will watch the series!
    In the introductory part of the clip Marc said they're totally new to filming and taking photos etc.

Clearly that was a lie! The footage and editing thereof is waaaaay beyond what I'm capable of.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post

Clearly that was a lie! The footage and editing thereof is waaaaay beyond what I'm capable of.
    Exactly! Its really well put together
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6
    2012 Summit Everest
    2012 Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDi AWD (SOLD)
    2011 Jurgens XT140 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkiebomskok View Post
    ..... 2hours had passed of me slowly gaining her trust ......

Right there lies the problem for me. That was a conscious decision which is wrong no matter what angle you put on it.

Why do you need to gain her trust to make people aware of giraffes? How are you going to make people aware of elephants, lions, leopards, wild dogs, etc? Absolutely no logic.

I suspect that the water crossing is not where the issue of most of the "suurgatte" lies, it is with the completely unnecessary approach of a wild animal.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Hmm Oupoot, the OP is an SA citizen..... why emphasize on overseas visitors? In my travels to Southern Africa I have seen many SA guys doing things I would not do, including feeding wild animals...
    Rik, you are correct - you get idiots irrespective of origin ... it was an unintentional generalization ...

I admire the purpose of the OPs post, and agree on his summary : we can all learn from someone else' mistakes.

The point I wanted to make is that sometimes even good intentions or in other instances videos or posts created intentionally (brazenly?!) showing interactions with wild animals can create the wrong perception for some visitors, leading to dire situations for both visitor and animal.
    Werk nog om te oorleef maar leef om te kamp ...

'15(16) Ford Ranger 2.2 XL Plus , Bushtec Aluminium canopy
    '12 Summit Everest
    '10 Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 (gone )
    '09 Terracan 3.5 V6 - liftkit (gone too)
    '98 Xplorer ( gone too)
    '04 Terracan 2.9 CRDi (gone!)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Oupoot For This Useful Post:

This is exactly the reaction I was hoping for. Nearly 7000 views.
    Sakkiebomskok, I've made my opinion about your adventures, but I don't think it's relevant enough to publish it here. I always like to see videos and photographs from African bush anyway.

But I've come to some other conclusion (and don't take it the wrong way, I have no intention of insulting you): IMHO, you are a typical case of attention seeker. Publishing same video footage in several different threads in the same forum, pleading for likes and followers on you YouTube channel, counting views of your posts, .... You may say you are doing this out from altruistic reasons ("we are doing this is to expose people who have never even seen a cow in the wild, to Africa" - wow, really?), but I don't buy it.

What I would like to ask you, for the sake of the quality of this forum: please, don't double post. It brings absolutely no good, it only clutters things. Someone who is reading this forum will see it anyway, weather it is published in one thread or in 3. But for regulars here (well, at least for me), it irritates me if I read/view exactly the same content in two different threads in the same (i.e. Botswana) subforum. And I don't see any point in starting new thread for any new episode either. Why don't you keep them nice and grouped together under one common thread (with different threads for different countries under different subforums)?

I wish you all the best with your future adventures, and by all means, keep us posted.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Troll777 View Post
    That drone footage and music is really awesome! Did u guys put it together or get a pro to put the vids together for you? If it's your first time and you did it you've got quite a knack for it, wow

Also what drone is it?

Enjoying the videos, will watch the series!

It is our first time yes. Thanks for the compliments. We do everything ourselves and to be honest I have learnt so much already that i think its actually quite poor work but next time i will do better. with better gear

DJI Phantom Drone.

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    Sakkiebomskok, I've made my opinion about your adventures, but I don't think it's relevant enough to publish it here. I always like to see videos and photographs from African bush anyway.

But I've come to some other conclusion (and don't take it the wrong way, I have no intention of insulting you): IMHO, you are a typical case of attention seeker. Publishing same video footage in several different threads in the same forum, pleading for likes and followers on you YouTube channel, counting views of your posts, .... You may say you are doing this out from altruistic reasons ("we are doing this is to expose people who have never even seen a cow in the wild, to Africa" - wow, really?), but I don't buy it.

What I would like to ask you, for the sake of the quality of this forum: please, don't double post. It brings absolutely no good, it only clutters things. Someone who is reading this forum will see it anyway, weather it is published in one thread or in 3. But for regulars here (well, at least for me), it irritates me if I read/view exactly the same content in two different threads in the same (i.e. Botswana) subforum. And I don't see any point in starting new thread for any new episode either. Why don't you keep them nice and grouped together under one common thread (with different threads for different countries under different subforums)?

I wish you all the best with your future adventures, and by all means, keep us posted.
    My apologies mate. I'm only trying to boost our channel by making more people aware. We are working on a program where the proceeds from our trips and films will go towards building shcools in Africa. Something not many people knew until now i guess. I will try limit it to my original thread "Trip Report".

Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Right there lies the problem for me. That was a conscious decision which is wrong no matter what angle you put on it.

Why do you need to gain her trust to make people aware of giraffes? How are you going to make people aware of elephants, lions, leopards, wild dogs, etc? Absolutely no logic.

I suspect that the water crossing is not where the issue of most of the "suurgatte" lies, it is with the completely unnecessary approach of a wild animal.
    To get close to her. Like i Said in my explanation above. I know now it was a mistake. Im not sure if you have ever made a mistake or not but i make A LOT of mistakes. Big difference is that im not scared to admit it and show it to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    As for walking up to the animal lets be straight it is sometimes difficult to tell
    Ummmm. What?

Why on earth is this even a consideration? When do you have an option to walk up to animals in the wild?
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Frotuna.

Why are you always in such a bad mood? Experience...

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    Ummmm. What?

Why on earth is this even a consideration? When do you have an option to walk up to animals in the wild?
    When they come into your campsite maybe. ?
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

To get close to her.
    Again, why?

You have good camera equipment, can it not zoom?

You made a conscious decision that had no basis, it is no mistake. So your rhetoric about all we all making mistakes (which no one is denying BTW) is irrelevant.

You don't walk up to any wild animal, ever. You have full control over that action.

Again, why?

You have good camera equipment, can it not zoom?

You made a conscious decision that had no basis, it is no mistake. So your rhetoric about all we all making mistakes (which no one is denying BTW) is irrelevant.

You don't walk up to any wild animal, ever. You have full control over that action.
    Mate. I have played with semi wild cheetahs before. It seemed a good idea in the moment. That is why you call it a "mistake". Its because you dont do it on purpose. Im not the wise owl that you are 😁😉

Mate. I have played with semi wild cheetahs before. It seemed a good idea in the moment. That is why you call it a "mistake". Its because you dont do it on purpose. Im not the wise owl that you are ����
    Before I give up, let me try to explain what I am getting at again briefly point by point.

More for the inexperienced that maybe does not understand exactly what they are looking at and the possible effects, than yourself.

1. You want the whole world to see your videos.
    2. You want to make the entire world aware of wild life in Africa
    3. You bring yourself over as an expert and bush wise
    4. You post lots of stuff on Youtube
    5. One of the videos shows you walking up to a wild animal. (It does not show the 2 hour lapse)
    6. Mr Fong Wong sees your video
    7. Mr Fong Wong visits Moremi
    8. Mr Fong Wong walks up to a lion or hippo because the wise guy in the You tube video made it seem OK
    9. Mr Fong Wong dies

You see where I am going?

In short, the more one puts oneself on a pedestal as knowledgeable and experienced, the more circumspect one should be about one's postings and the possible repercussions of it.

Peace and over and out. You admitted it was a mistake. A fully avoidable one, but a mistake nonetheless.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2017/06/13 at 10:29 AM.

My apologies mate. I'm only trying to boost our channel by making more people aware. We are working on a program where the proceeds from our trips and films will go towards building shcools in Africa. Something not many people knew until now i guess. I will try limit it to my original thread "Trip Report".

Thanks man.
    OK, so you must have registered a Public Benefit Organisation or be working for a NGO? If it is a PBO please supply the registration number or the name of the NGO. Surely if this was the main reason for the trip then it would have been advertised as such to pull in viewers?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

Before I give up let me try to explain it again briefly point by point.

1. You want the whole world to see your videos.
    2. You want to make the entire world aware of wild life in Africa
    3. You bring yourself over as an expert and bush wise
    4. You post lots of stuff on Youtube
    5. One of the videos shows you walking up to a wild animal. (It does not show the 2 hour lapse)
    6. Mr Fong Wong sees your video
    7. Mr Fong Wong visits Moremi
    8. Mr Fong Wong walks up to a lion or hippo because the wise guy in the You tube video made it seem OK
    9. Mr Fong Wong dies

You see where I am going?

In short, the more one puts oneself on a pedestal as knowledgeable and experienced, the more circumspect one should be about one's postings and the possible repercussions of it.

Peace and over and out.
    This make me think of the video at rooiputs where the lions lick the moisture from the tent window! The lions looks very tame! This could also send the wrong message to a tourist??
    I have encounted on many occasions tourists 'adoring' wildlife in remote places such as Mabua and CKGR, wandering on the pans after dusk!! Very few realize the danger until you are confronted with it!

Keep the videos coming Sakkiebomskok, and learn as you go!
    2007 Fortuner 3 D4D, 4x4
    2015 Ford Ranger 2.2

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hardekool For This Useful Post:

FWM

Deleted
    Last edited by Groenman; 2017/06/13 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Rather just deleted my post
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    When they come into your campsite maybe. ?
    I should have worded my post better - forgot we have senile octogenarians in our midst.

It is never the correct course of action when an animal walks into your camp site is to walk up to them.
    Last edited by Rainier Vermaak; 2017/06/13 at 11:05 AM.
    My name is Rainier and I drive a Frotuna.

Why are you always in such a bad mood? Experience...

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oupoot View Post
    Rik, you are correct - you get idiots irrespective of origin ... it was an unintentional generalization ...

I admire the purpose of the OPs post, and agree on his summary : we can all learn from someone else' mistakes.

The point I wanted to make is that sometimes even good intentions or in other instances videos or posts created intentionally (brazenly?!) showing interactions with wild animals can create the wrong perception for some visitors, leading to dire situations for both visitor and animal.
    I totaliteit agree with you purpose Oupoot, no worries!!!

Great Video, really enjoyed watching. Had my own experience in Moremi last year, completely drowned my car, also rushing to get to 3rd bridge as it was getting dark!

And you shouldn't get close to animals, sure you wont do that again, lesson learnt leave it at that!

But if you want a Darwin try the tourist I saw at Ihaha standing behind a bush taking pictures of the approx 300-400 buffalo that were passing through camp!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BotsBoy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hardekool View Post
    This make me think of the video at rooiputs where the lions lick the moisture from the tent window! The lions looks very tame! This could also send the wrong message to a tourist??
    I have encounted on many occasions tourists 'adoring' wildlife in remote places such as Mabua and CKGR, wandering on the pans after dusk!! Very few realize the danger until you are confronted with it!

Keep the videos coming Sakkiebomskok, and learn as you go!

I will thanks bud.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast