Almost died twice in Moremi - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Almost died twice in Moremi

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    The "issues" starts the NEXT TIME the animal wonders into the camp expecting food ....

which may well be why this animal wondered into the camp.

there is a very good reason each and every game reserve prohibits people from feeding animals.

ENJOY Africa.

ENJOY the scenery and animals.

Take memories, and leave only footprints ... and please give animals a safe distance.
    I agree there Chris

All I am saying is that what he did here was not directly catastrophic for the animal
    If it kicked him and hit him it would not have been put down like a lion eating someone

Making statements that he should die because he did it is wrong isn't it?

Or do you agree that someone who does what he did should die from it by default?
    Because that is the statement that was made
    what a shame the giraffe dids not score a hit on this baffoon.
    With luck this idiot will try stroking a lion next time.
    Generally a Giraffe that kicks someone is not going to turn into a human hunting Giraffe that specifically targets humans with it kicking ability
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2017/06/12 at 11:00 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Veneficus For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the post,also liked the personal touch not a typical "documentary"! enjoy your time in the bush, so sad not all of us are born experts of the bush, some of us actually have to make a few mistakes to learn and become knowledgeable. Great post and be carefull.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vossie1 For This Useful Post:

YOUR SAFETY should always take priority, not only for your sake, but for the sake of the wildlife.

Please start thinking before doing, and you will find that it is just as enjoyable.

Rules are there for a reason, to protect yourself, your family, and the wildlife. Please please please, don't make repeat mistakes like the ones in the video.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lizardalpha For This Useful Post:

A divided forum here... which is understandable I guess...

Being a bit of a novice in the bush myself, i enjoyed the video when i first watched it, but then realized all the "wrongdoing" once I'd carried on reading the thread. Some comments from Stan Weakley and one or two others are respectful, full of wisdom and have advice offered through knowledge... I've learned from these, so thank you to those that chose to add value by dispensing a warning and some advice in a useful manner.

Others are just nasty, negative and arrogant, which is annoying, stops others from sharing their stories and divides the forum like so many COMMENTS sections of most SA news and social media sites... Yes, making mistakes in the bush is bad, can cost lives and livelihoods... but please, if you have knowledge & wisdom, share it in a manner that will make a difference to someones behavior; IE with respect, even if you feel they haven't respected the very wildlife they are visiting. M2CW.

p.s. its good to be "back" on the forum dispensing my unasked for advice after a few years of silence

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NerdBakkie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NerdBakkie View Post
    A divided forum here... which is understandable I guess...

Being a bit of a novice in the bush myself, i enjoyed the video when i first watched it, but then realized all the "wrongdoing" once I'd carried on reading the thread. Some comments from Stan Weakley and one or two others are respectful, full of wisdom and have advice offered through knowledge... I've learned from these, so thank you to those that chose to add value by dispensing a warning and some advice in a useful manner.

Others are just nasty, negative and arrogant, which is annoying, stops others from sharing their stories and divides the forum like so many COMMENTS sections of most SA news and social media sites... Yes, making mistakes in the bush is bad, can cost lives and livelihoods... but please, if you have knowledge & wisdom, share it in a manner that will make a difference to someones behavior; IE with respect, even if you feel they haven't respected the very wildlife they are visiting. M2CW.

p.s. its good to be "back" on the forum dispensing my unasked for advice after a few years of silence
    Plus 100!
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

The following is intended to be light-hearted and an opportunity for the bush wise and law abiding travellers to reflect for a moment (and I see myself largely in this bracket).

Thanks for sharing guys - luckily nobody has picked up that you lit a fire in a national park yet (wait for it ....).

So how does one actually do a water crossing like in the video?

- Since you cannot leave your car in a game reserve you cannot walk it first
    - Encroaching on an animals space is not a good idea ( ie: wading through a crocs back yard) so again no walking the route first
    - Getting stuck for 3 hours should be done at least 3 hours before park closing time - but since you cannot walk the route how do you know how long you will be stuck for
    - Toyota's apparently can get stuck so owning one is not a guarantee that you will make it through the water
    - And if you do get stuck in water you cannot get out of the vehicle anyway (see first 2 points)

If you do get stuck in your car in 3 feet of water how do you get help?
    - You cannot fly your drone to try and attract attention
    - No cell phone reception
    - You cannot light a fire since you are in your car and in a national park (and unless your took your own wood you may not gather it anyway)
    - Your nice VHF radio you fitted in South Africa probably is not licensed for your use in another country so no calling for help
    - You can hoot as long as nobody in a camp can hear you as this would constitute a nuisance to other campers and would be inconsiderate (and might disturb the crocs)
    - If you did manage to miraculously get from your car to another passing by, you may not leave you vehicle in the park for someone else to pick up (no littering)

Considering all the above its obvious that crossing water is not a good idea (even in a Toyota) and in fact the best option is to stay in camp and hide from the animals.

And by the way please stop protesting people getting kicked in the head by giraffes - I have seen plenty of people in national parks that IMHO would benefit from this

(Remember this is tongue in cheek guys so no torrent of abuse please - smile and the world smiles with you)
    Last edited by GrahamF; 2017/06/12 at 03:51 PM.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GrahamF For This Useful Post:

I do agree with a lot that is said, and also not condone some of the real negative remarks, but I also do not condone some of the interaction that transpired. With the slight possibility to go a little OT, in this instance at least there is lessons to be learned, unlike behavior / interaction that is presented to us in some wildlife shows - someone like Kim Wolhuter (although award-winning with his documentaries) comes to mind, in his interaction with wildlife including the cat species!

It paints a picture for some of the overseas visitor-to-be that decides on visiting the African bush, that it could be like a petting zoo / walk about the wild-type environment, with catastrophic results to both the ill-informed tourists and eventually the wildlife (as pointed out a few times).

So, with this in mind, thank you for the interesting and informative blogs, be safe in your travels and responsible in your interactions, and keep it coming!
    Last edited by Oupoot; 2017/06/12 at 01:56 PM.
    Werk nog om te oorleef maar leef om te kamp ...

'15(16) Ford Ranger 2.2 XL Plus , Bushtec Aluminium canopy
    '12 Summit Everest
    '10 Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 (gone )
    '09 Terracan 3.5 V6 - liftkit (gone too)
    '98 Xplorer ( gone too)
    '04 Terracan 2.9 CRDi (gone!)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Oupoot For This Useful Post:

Saw this pic the other day........more meaning here, maybe even on both sides.........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

George
    2020 Hilux LG50
    1995 Hilux SFA

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fisheagle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamF View Post
    Remember this is tongue in cheek guys so not torrent of abuse please
    Aaaaag no!!

You were doing so well... and now you've ruined it!

Well done Sir, I love your work!
    Work. It's a wealthy man's privilege, and a poor man' fate....

André Opperman

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppers For This Useful Post:

I work with wild animals almost daily.

I have had a few close encounters and a few scars as well.

We have an unwritten rule that is probably key when dealing with animals.

NEVER assume that the animal actually likes you!!!

You are viewed :

1) As an irritation
    2) A source of food
    3) A tasty titbit
    4) A threat

All animals have a natural 'discomfort zone'... if you get into this zone the 'flight or fight' reaction will be triggered.

Some animals will allow humans quite close because they are used to humans and human interaction.
    Others will flee if you get to within a few hundred meters.

Assuming that an animal is 'tame' because they tolerate you in close proximity is the biggest mistake you can make, it remains a wild animal and the natural instinct will prevail if you come too close.

I am not going to lecture Sakkie , I am sure he has learned a valuable lesson from the mistake he made

About 2 years ago , out of desperation , I placed a zebra stallion ( problem animal...barfighter..scumbag) in a separate enclosure with 5 giraffes.

He survived less than a week, trying to bite one of the giraffes , he was kicked flush on the sternum.
    Instant departure, we slaughtered him for ration. The area around the sternum was a bloody pulp of tissue and bone, the damage to the lung cavity and internal organs was quite shocking.

If you have a choice , don`t be kicked by a giraffe ....or any animal for that matter

If you narrowly escaped such an encounter ..learn something from it and be grateful that you lived to tell the tale
    Last edited by Gleneagles; 2017/06/12 at 03:31 PM.
    2004 L/C 4.2 Game Viewer
    2012 LC 200 4.5 VX
    2013 Ranger T6 3.2 4x4 Auto

2013 HiTec Tekkies

4X4 is an addiction only cured by poverty

20. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Gleneagles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gleneagles View Post
    If you narrowly escaped such an encounter ..learn something from it and be grateful that you lived to tell the tale
    Wise words!
    Regards,
    Hans

http://www.wildpicture.com/

Overland trips with rented 4x4's in South Africa, Botswana, Nambia, Zimbabwe, Zambia
    (Toyota Hilux DC, Landrover Defender 110)
    1999-2005 Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4
    2016- Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildpicture For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    I agree there Chris

All I am saying is that what he did here was not directly catastrophic for the animal
    If it kicked him and hit him it would not have been put down like a lion eating someone

Making statements that he should die because he did it is wrong isn't it?

Or do you agree that someone who does what he did should die from it by default?
    Because that is the statement that was made

Generally a Giraffe that kicks someone is not going to turn into a human hunting Giraffe that specifically targets humans with it kicking ability
    Ooopppssss .... The second quote is not one of mine.

I am in two minds on this thread

1) We should always respect the animals free space, never feed a wild animal, etc .... The OP did NOT encroach onto the animals space, but may well have been the victim of an animal that have previously been fed by humans ....

2) "adventure" .... breathing aint living. How we "live" and stay safe differs for each of us. I prefer to study up, then take calculated risks away from home. But the mere fact that we travel thousands of kilometers without as much as a phone is frowned upon by some ... so "danger" or "taking risks" is a very relative term. And I WONT comment on how another lives his life - other than impacting on an animals wellbeing (and I DONT think the OP did this)

And lastly, IF a human decides to take risks that I dont have the goons for ... WHAT do one gain by insulting such a person ?

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elders For This Useful Post:

Loved the Video.

Glad you guys didn't get hurt, keep up the nice vid's.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haas For This Useful Post:

Dit het met my ook amper daar gebeur 2014 seker dit is die selfde kameelperd nog .
    Dit was n ondervinding gewees en so Aftika is nie vir sussies nie ek geniet dit in die bos.
    Geniet dit verder en sir nog videos op

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Leon Venter For This Useful Post:

To all the wise travellers out there: how would you have handled that river crossing? Unless I missed it I didn't see what, with hindsight, others might have done. Couple of thoughts from someone who doesn't claim to be the expert at all:
    1. is walking a river in croc and hippo territory ever an option, even in broad daylight as we saw earlier in the video?
    2. if daylight is fading for whatever reason (bad planning or bad luck earlier in the day) just don't attempt it; set up camp right there (your targeted camp won't have much more by way of facilities anyway) and wait for daylight; use the time to enjoy the evening in Africa and plan the way forward? Maybe help will arrive. Camping like that is probably not permitted but perhaps better than putting lives at risk?
    3. even then don't attempt it ('cos walking is a risk) and try find a way around to obviously shallower, easier crossing? These are not the sort of rivers waiting a couple of hours will likely mean water levels subside, which might be the preferred course of conduct in other situations.
    4. if you do get stuck don't rush the rescue. Take time to think it through rather than rush and lose options in the process.
    5. Leaving the engine idling seems like a good move? As does not abandoning and trying to walk out to camp at least not at dusk or at night and not if its more than 5kms away and even then with the sort of distance hooting long enough might attract some help from other campers?
    6. winch option? setting up a double line pull if possible, if you can find a suitable anchor i.e. large enough tree though that is probably quite rare in that kind of country side? A single or even double wheel sand anchor is unlikely to be strong enough for a fully laden vehicle so that option is a lot of digging for nothing. So that feels like more of a last resort? And then if thats what you are down to applying all the safety rules e.g. weight on the line to deaden the effect of a break, bonnet up, people well out of range (but not so far into the bush that predators double the trouble you are in...). Unpack the vehicle to lighten the load? even then the really heavy items are things like fuel and water which you might not be able to unload?
    6. so that leaves the hi-lift jack used with suitable base plate and shoving enough wood, branches, rocks if you can find any in that part of the bush...), recovery boards, etc, etc under (all 4??) wheels to plug the hole you fell into and try create enough traction to drive out in low range 2nd gear? with someone up on the roof of the vehicle tasked with looking out for crocs and other dangers.
    7. any better options?? I always wonder who those with a satphone would call? except your mates who drove on ahead and are blissfully unawares of your troubles wondering what's taking you so long to get to the cold beer at camp.
    Last edited by Golf Charlie; 2017/06/12 at 09:02 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Golf Charlie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oupoot View Post

It paints a picture for some of the overseas visitor-to-be that decides on visiting the African bush, that it could be like a petting zoo / walk about the wild-type environment, with catastrophic results to both the ill-informed tourists and eventually the wildlife (as pointed out a few times).

!
    Hmm Oupoot, the OP is an SA citizen..... why emphasize on overseas visitors? In my travels to Southern Africa I have seen many SA guys doing things I would not do, including feeding wild animals...

Wink Re: Almost died twice in Moremi

This is exactly the reaction I was hoping for. Nearly 7000 views. which bring me to my first point.

Firstly.

If 1 person can learn from the mistakes I made, it was worth it. I know how opinionated the people on this forum are so i knew there would be flack, but I would rather take the flack and help someone, then not. The giraffe in retrospect was a bit stupid on my part but from when she came into the camp to when she kicked at me nearly 2hours had passed of me slowly gaining her trust ONLY to get a shot of me right next to her (you have to remember. the reason we are doing this is to expose people who have never even seen a cow in the wild, to Africa. to promote our wildlife, and the conservation of them) Would you care about protecting a animal you have never seen or hear of? The water crossing was school fees. I know I should not have done it but i didnt want to break camp rules and be out after dark. we had been doing a ton of bigger crossings all day where i explained how to do it and did it safely. this crossing was only 7meters long and there were tracks on the other side so i stupidly thought it wouldn't be so holey. BUT once more if someone learns from my mistake i was worth all the R60000 worth of gear damage. Its just money, who cares. And as for the "crocs in the river thing" it was exaggerated for the camera. There where no crocs. I swam in that water for 2 hours. and I didnt actually offer them money, the asked for it and I said I would have given them the R500 each just to say thank you. I paid them R2500 for that recovery(as a thanks)

Secondly

To the guys who posted the harsh comments...I am very thick skinned and it didnt even faze me one bit because i know people say things for different reasons. They could have experienced something that made then angry, or upset and that is why they said it. I dont mind. BUT MY WIFE READ THE COMMENTS OF PEOPLE BASICALLY SAYING I SHOULD HAVE JUST DIED. It really upset her. Imagine how your loved one would feel... So next time wherever you comment on the internet without any repercussions, from your couch. JUST THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK. but no hard feelings

Thirdly

Now this is to the "suurgatte" who said stuff about the drone and the fire. Do you have nothing better to do. The park ranger told us it was the best thing we could have done and helped us make the fire bigger. The drone saved our asssses that night, and how did it harm anyone. I didnt even record the footage? To you guys I kindly say. Thanks for keeping such strict rules in your own life as to rather DIE than break a harmless rule. My dad is a fireman and when someones house is on fire they drive over a red robot to run into that building to save someone. Contrary to what people think, it's illegal for them to drive over the red light. but they do it anyway because sometimes rules are meant to be broken for then sake of safety. So i hope you guys never get a fireman, or ambo with such strict rule ethics.

Fourthly

To the guys who always thank us for the videos and send us awesome private messages, and try protect us from the harsh comment (which isnt necessary THANKS A MIL! We really really appreciate it, and you guys are the ones we do this stuff for. Theres a lot more to come.

New episode out Tomorrow about the damage, which seems to be something a lot of you want to know about. (which means you also want to take these water crossing risks. DONT DO IT but do it, but dont.

33. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sakkiebomskok For This Useful Post:

O and for those of you who don't know. Its part of a 3month series.. Here is episode 1

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sakkiebomskok For This Useful Post:

Nice Marc!

Keep it coming, I am subscribed!

Just a question, was it your drone filming you whilst driving at the end of the clip?

If so, it seems that thing is definitely not a slow poke!
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

That drone footage and music is really awesome! Did u guys put it together or get a pro to put the vids together for you? If it's your first time and you did it you've got quite a knack for it, wow

Also what drone is it?

Enjoying the videos, will watch the series!
    2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6
    2012 Summit Everest
    2012 Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDi AWD (SOLD)
    2011 Jurgens XT140 (SOLD)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast