Almost died twice in Moremi - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Almost died twice in Moremi

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkiebomskok View Post
    "You are crazy! You should never be out of your vehicle... You should be shot... "Thats what all the sour clowns are gonna say to you now. This forum should be called something else. Anyway. Thanks for sharing bud.love the music. Hehe.
    Sure, this was shot on Linyanti CAMPSITE. People do get out of their vehicles at campsites. Even the sour ones will have to see that.

We had elephants walking through the campsite at Chobe and Linyanti. But Linyanti was the best campsite I have been to.
    Regards,
    Hans

http://www.wildpicture.com/

Overland trips with rented 4x4's in South Africa, Botswana, Nambia, Zimbabwe, Zambia
    (Toyota Hilux DC, Landrover Defender 110)
    1999-2005 Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4
    2016- Suzuki Jimny JLX 4x4

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wildpicture For This Useful Post:

It is beautiful there. We had one of the sites right on the river. The lions were on the banks too. but my favourite campsite I think is still Mabua 1 in the Kgalagadi OR Savuti 4

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sakkiebomskok For This Useful Post:

Don't openly tell people you used a drone in a Reserve or Nat park. Not allowed. Certainly don't share any drone footage - you could get nailed for this and it only makes the authorities more determined to introduce more rules that will lesson our enjoyment of the park. The most dangerous thing you did in the video was when the tow rope snapped and there were people standing right next to it.
    Nxai pan footage was great though....
    Last edited by Peaceman; 2017/06/10 at 08:40 PM.

Agree on both counts. Drones in any park are a no no. For obvious reasons. And that tow rope! First rule ignored.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tustinr For This Useful Post:

Aai. How I wish all of the ou "suurgatte" here would leave this forum and find a place to moan and insult others elsewhere! That's why I never post stories on this forum. There is ALWAYS one or two keyboard warriors that would start a fight or insult you - they always know better. Especially when it comes to wild animals or 4x4 recovery! Don't post a pic where you have zoomed in too close on the animal (you could have disturbed the animal and should be banned from the bush), or a pic/video of your best and safest 4x4 recovery (your winch may not be mounted safely, or your kinetic strap is of a crap brand or your recovery points are dangerous). Someone will always moan about something and tell you how stupid you are.

Sometimes I wish the forum had the same emoji's as whatsapp. There is a specific one with a middle finger in the air that I would use on a regular basis when replying to some comments here!
    Jan Floris
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 HSE
    1982 Merc Gelandewagen 300GD
    BMW R1200GSA
    2012 Nissan Micra (SWAMBO)
    Ex:
    2004 X-Trail 2.5 4x4
    2004 Discovery II TD5

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to janfloris For This Useful Post:

Guys seriously relax. Im fine, the giraffe is fine. It came right up to us in the camp and I figured I would show people how big it really is. She was very relaxed the whole time and let me touch her before. she id known to be around there all the time. Its part of a series that we shot, wanting to show people how beautiful it is in Africa.
    To clear this up once and for all lets ask Bots park authorities what they think?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roberto Betta For This Useful Post:

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Quote Originally Posted by janfloris View Post
    Aai. How I wish all of the ou "suurgatte" here would leave this forum and find a place to moan and insult others elsewhere! That's why I never post stories on this forum. There is ALWAYS one or two keyboard warriors that would start a fight or insult you - they always know better. Especially when it comes to wild animals or 4x4 recovery! Don't post a pic where you have zoomed in too close on the animal (you could have disturbed the animal and should be banned from the bush), or a pic/video of your best and safest 4x4 recovery (your winch may not be mounted safely, or your kinetic strap is of a crap brand or your recovery points are dangerous). Someone will always moan about something and tell you how stupid you are !
    Well said. Each of us must make its stupid experience. And if its only to learn NOT to tell others youve touched a wild giraffe that than decided shes made a mistake when she came to narrow, and kicks you.
    Ive been the same stupid when we started travelling, and I think, most of you did that.

Well I thought the video was pretty cool and enjoyed seeing you and your wife out in the sticks. Personally I would not get that close to any large game, but I am no "africa expert" and having seen the after effects of Cross animals on vehicles in Hshuluwe, I am okay with letting them have right of way.

That being said, I have some proper bush money mates - quite a few actually - that have worked at CC africa parks and they tend to be a lot more brave than me. Since getting a boat, all our holidays are at the coast, and this is making me think it is time to go to a big 5 park for a weekend again.

Thanks for posting.

So get out there and make your own mistakes.
    I must say that I admire your balls in publishing those two videos on a public forum and thank you for doing so. As members have pointed out there are plenty of lessons for others. Accept the criticism, which in my view is needed to add balance and perspective to your experiences. Unfortunately, whether intended or not, you do not come across as being contrite at all. I am sure you are the wiser for those experiences but fear there remains some lack of insight, as indicated from my selective quote from your post.

Narrow escapes in the bush are not heroic at all but just plain stupid. The personal opinion I would like to share with viewers is that if one shops around enough for trouble in the bush it is sure to find you. One needs to consider how your own misbehavior or ignorance affects others too, although ultimately what happens to you is your own responsibility. Consider the inconvenience and danger to the medical personnel if an emergency helicopter evacuation had been required after a kick from the giraffe. Consider too the possibility of the authorities deciding to impose more stringent regulations because of your own mishap. At present there is little emphasis on keeping the public away from potentially dangerous wild animals in Botswana. They trust that travelers would have taken the trouble to inform themselves before venturing into the bush. Imagine the disappointment if Botswana decided to fence their campsites because of such behavior.

Despite the previous criticism about earlier drone footage there is a brazen admission to flying a drone illegally in a National Park. If we, who are privileged to have independent access to such wilderness areas do not self-regulate, we will find onerous regulations imposed on ourselves.

Getting stuck in the dark because of, as confessed, leaving one's return to camp too late, is also foolish. Openly admitting to enticing locals to risk exposure to crocodiles for a mere R500 is also not something I would be proud of, never mind being comfortable with openly admitting. The lesson on how not to extract a vehicle stuck in mud is there for all to see. The camp staff must have been very inconvenienced by this escapade, never mind being endangered. If someone had been injured by a croc or the tow rope this could have had far broader consequences.

I would like to think that if the OP had been more apologetic about his behavior the criticism of his posts would have been more muted. I hope the criticism will not inhibit others from posting, especially if there are lessons to be learnt. Look and learn!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Thanks for this video, have not been to Moremi before ... nice to see the conditions and perils of the Moremi. One day we will also go there ...
    Johan du Buson
    Discovery 4 TDV6S (2010)
    Desert Wolf Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post

Narrow escapes in the bush are not heroic at all but just plain stupid. The personal opinion I would like to share with viewers is that if one shops around enough for trouble in the bush it is sure to find you.

I would like to think that if the OP had been more apologetic about his behavior the criticism of his posts would have been more muted. I hope the criticism will not inhibit others from posting, especially if there are lessons to be learnt.

Look and learn!
    Very good post Stan and I agree with every word. I wish I could thank it more than once.

I would like to reiterate the bold parts quoted above.

Sakkie, you went looking for trouble and you found it. You still have a long journey ahead of you in this trip. Keep looking for trouble and it will find you again. Especially in other African countries not nearly as tame and civilized as Botswana.

You are a young member on this forum and of adult life in fact, now is the time to keep quiet and learn. There are many, many here that has literally hundreds of thousands kilometers of African travelling experience. Use their guidance and comments, their experience is invaluable. Although you seem to fancy yourself as Richard Attenborough, you are in fact far from it. You were wrong in many aspects, not by ignorance but by conscious decision. You will do well to just plainly admit it in humbleness without being condescending or sarcastic.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2017/06/12 at 11:57 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Is that a Toyota,,, how come it got stuck ? ... Any way all I can say is, you are pretty quick on your feet for a big guy and I would have no problem camping with you, we always need at least one idiot to get all dirty and do the hard work.

Speak to Engel on the forum, then as well as looking for crocs, you can look for a Pofadder.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

what utterly gross stupidity and what a shame the giraffe dids not score a hit on this baffoon. I spend plenty of time at Third Bridge, a very well run camp supported by excellent Wildlife Dept staff, and the rules of Moremi Park and the camp are abundantly clear to all. Botswana doesn't need visitors like this. No game park anywhere needs visitors like this. With luck this idiot will try stroking a lion next time.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to rdf007 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rdf007 View Post
    what utterly gross stupidity and what a shame the giraffe dids not score a hit on this baffoon. I spend plenty of time at Third Bridge, a very well run camp supported by excellent Wildlife Dept staff, and the rules of Moremi Park and the camp are abundantly clear to all. Botswana doesn't need visitors like this. No game park anywhere needs visitors like this. With luck this idiot will try stroking a lion next time.
    Quite harsh dude
    So are you saying in your life you never made a mistake that could have had bad consequences

And if so would it have been a good thing if they succeeded.

If he was running around trying to do harm to the animal then I would have agreed there

But he did not put the animal at risk what so ever so maybe you should relax a bit

As for walking up to the animal lets be straight it is sometimes difficult to tell
    I still remember occasions in certain safe game areas where certain animals have eaten leaves offered by people with no issues
    It does not mean a persons should not be careful but yes I hardly see what was done here as completely wrong
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2017/06/12 at 10:11 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Quote Originally Posted by rdf007 View Post
    You ARE one of those suurgatte, mentioned before.

Only post when there is the opportunity to complain obviously.

Saint of note it seems, never done nothing crazy in your life?

Do us all a favour and log of.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

I can not say anything that would better express my feelings than what Stan Weakley have written. Sakkie, please read his post and take it to heart.

I am certainly no "Ou suurgat". I am almost as young as you, yet my enjoyment of nature seem to differ from yours. To me, it seems as if there is a general disregard for rules and safety. Actions like yours not only spoil the experience for the rest of the people paying to be in the park, but if left unaddressed, it might encourage others to do the same.

We all make mistakes all the time. No getting away from it. But some of the actions in these videos are active decisions made to act in a wrong manner.

On a previous thread you showed drones flying over Makgadigadi, now this. Man, your actions are just not on. Period.
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post

But he did not put the animal at risk what so ever so maybe you should relax a bit
    Well...... thing is, he did indirectly put the animal at risk in the greater scheme of things.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    I still remember occasions in certain safe game areas where certain animals have eaten leaves offered by people with no issues
    The "issues" starts the NEXT TIME the animal wonders into the camp expecting food ....

which may well be why this animal wondered into the camp.

there is a very good reason each and every game reserve prohibits people from feeding animals.

ENJOY Africa.

ENJOY the scenery and animals.

Take memories, and leave only footprints ... and please give animals a safe distance.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elders For This Useful Post:

This is what happens when you try to get cool shots for you guys. You nearly get kicked buy a Giraffe and eaten by crocs.

Hi Mark and Nicole,
    Having grown up in Zimbabwe and spent much time in the bush, I think what you and Nicole are doing is fantastic, and what a great job you have done in recording the entire trip,,,I like it simply because this is a road trip and not a documentary of a bush experience.....the word EXPERIENCE being the key word here. Ignore all negative comments and just know that there are more of us that applaud and enjoy what you two are doing, just be as careful as possible think out any actions and you will do well, so keep em coming.
    Personally I would like to thank you and Nicole for taking us along on what I can imagine is a special time together for you both, you two make a great couple.
    whats the plan after the trip?
    Enjoy, and be safe
    Gary Hayman

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaryJ For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast