Malaria prevention

Default Malaria prevention

Going to Moz, taking anti-malaria tabs, will apply plenty of muti for mozzies, etc.

Better ideas for prevention?

Any special muti known to you?

the malaria mossie is most active 1hr @ sunrise and sunset. cover-up as much as possible (long-sleeves and pants) hands, feet and face with anti-mos spray/cream and sleep under mos-net. this is what most ex-pats do
    rgds, joh
    '08 Hilux 4V6 trailer/roof tent 2 single C-kayaks sb '10 12 xb '10 13 xb '11 9 kites and i love diving
    Speak your mind - those who mind, don't matter. those who matter, don't mind.....

Peacefull sleep = Captain & Coke
    Use freely but donít overdose...........it tends bloody the eyes and cause headaches.

On a more serious note, we use nothing, maybe a spray here and there.

The main thing to remember is when you develop a stomach or flu like symptoms or sore/sensitive kidneys or liver, treat for malaria first........then for flu. We always carry Coartem and Arinate or Co-Arinate with us for each family member and we donít wait for the results of a full blood test like they do in SA.

The trick is to identify malaria early and treat immediately........wait and see maybe better tomorrow and you might just end up being boxed and sent back to SA.

Taking a course of Coartem or any of the others wonít kill you if you donít have malaria, but malaria treated like flu with anti bioticís will kill you!

Note I am not a doctor and when in doubt rather consult a doctor!

I say take your prevention, sleep under a net and use the spray.

Agreeing with mfuwefarmer, a friend told me that malaria doesn't knock at your door, it just kicks it down!

Default Mossie action

As a matter of interest mossies dont follow light as do other insects. They are attracted primarily by smell and by heat sensing.
    What turns their smell sensors on is carbon di oxide (ie human or animal breath) and bad smells such as dirty socks and unwashed bodies and , yes , old stinky cheese. They also sense warm bodies .
    So what ?
    Leave smelly shoes and socks well away from your tent/ bungalow.(or wrap up in plastic)
    Early evening shower , using an appropriate anti mozzie soap, and a change of clothing makes sense. Mossies really enjoy biting through socks ( possibly allows them a good foothold) so extra long tousers that exclude the little blighters from the socks.

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by pretdave View Post
    What turns their smell sensors on is carbon di oxide (ie human or animal breath) and bad smells such as dirty socks and unwashed bodies and , yes , old stinky cheese. They also sense warm bodies .
    So what ?
    Leave smelly shoes and socks well away from your tent/ bungalow.(or wrap up in plastic)
    Early evening shower , using an appropriate anti mozzie soap, and a change of clothing makes sense.
    Gee, that's very interesting Dave, thanks

Thanx!

Great advice, but anyone got a special muti? I heard about mixing Dettol and Mylol?

The only effective way to prevent malaria is to prevent the bite in the first place. Like unanticipated pregnancy, it's easier to deal with the deed than the unintended consequences.

Cover up properly at night and especially the twilight times. No need for heavy stuff... light cotton long sleeve shirts and trousers. Using this method and a healthy dose of Tabard / Mylol / Peaceful Sleep on those exposed areas (face, nose, ears) has served us well. And FORGET perfumes and deoderants. This makes the midges impossible to live with but attracts mozzies. If you feel grubby, wash with an anti mozzie soap (often, but not always citronella based)

We, as a matter of course choose this over prophylactics. I have had malaria once (with 2 recurrent attacks), and that the time was on a course of Larium in the early 90's. I don't know which was worse - the malaria or the Larium side effects. I do not take anti malarials.
    Last edited by SimonB; 2008/12/18 at 11:32 AM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

I was speaking to a chap I do business with quite a lot and he was telling me about this product he has just taken on which has just been released. He is the agent here and just got back from a meeting with some people from the UN and they are all using it. He reckons its the best and most effective reppellent yet. Have not tried it but Ill try it in Moz and give feedback. apparently you just spray it on your clothes and it even lasts up to a few washes.

Here is the info on his business card if it helps.
    Kenny
    082 565 4659
    www.healthguard.co.za
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Bryan Webber; 2008/12/18 at 11:27 AM.
    '16 Toyota Land Cruiser D/C v8
    '15 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D

Peacefull sleep = Captain & Coke
    Use freely but donít overdose...........it tends bloody the eyes and cause headaches.
    That may be a joke but it's got an element of truth.

Years ago when I spent a lot of time up north the anti-malarial drugs weren't popular because it affected your ability to tan, so the common thing amongst our guys was actually to drink Red Heart Rum on a daily basis to keep the mozzies away. We didn't even bother with mosquito nets.

It's unscientific claptrap but it's what we did, and out of the considerable time I was up there only one guy contracted malaria. Fact, fiction, luck?
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Amen on the Larium.....stuff is evil.

We tried rosemary oil once and worked very well, in conjunction with tabard....boy did we stink though

Old malaria tablets contained -codine- (spelling ?)
    Does the old trick of gin and tonic (also contain codine ) still work for the new century mozzies ??
    Gerhard.
    4-tuner.

Quote Originally Posted by Lepogo View Post
    Old malaria tablets contained -codine- (spelling ?)
    Does the old trick of gin and tonic (also contain codine ) still work for the new century mozzies ??
    I think you're getting confused with quinine... Also the stuff that makes tonic flourecse. I believe quinine based prophylactics are nowadays considered to be ineffective
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

I started a similar discussion in the Namibia section - Although the risk is fairly low, I'm taking Malanil.

Here is the thread: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=26499
    2005 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.2 DiD GLS (sold)
    2008 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 DiDc GLS