Fiat 500 Owners - Feedback Please!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fiat 500 Owners - Feedback Please!!

Good Day Gents

I'm looking at a Fiat 500 for my daughter later this year.

1) Which engines are the best??
    2) How reliable are they........please state your mileage, service costs, issues, etc etc
    3) Are they reasonably safe??
    4) Do they perform and handle OK??
    5) Can one drive long distance with it, like in 500 km tar road once a month??

ANY other advise and thoughts would be appreciated.

I'll be looking at something with VERY low miles, below 30 000, or then a newish one. Depends on which engines are deemed the more reliable.

THANKS8)
    1998 Nissan Patrol 4,5 GRX........................."Olive"
    1997 Land Cruiser HZJ 75..........................."Jack"
    2008 Mercedes Benz CL 500........................"Bullet" (going....going...)
    2006 Mercedes Benz C 180K........................"Sussie"

Default Re: Fiat 500 Owners - Feedback Please!!

Swambo had one for 3 years; one of the first 500's to be sold in Nam

1. We had the 1.2 and we were very happy with it. Decent performance/economy balance
    2. Drove it from new to 35k km with not one single issue. O yes, the battery went and we had to call the dealer since you literately cannot get access to the car It locks itself down
    3. I think as safe as these mini cars can be. 7 Airbags and all the active safety features you can think of
    4. Brilliant. It's like a go cart!!! And you just love the speedometer chasing the rev counter
    5. Yes.

Love these cars. And we seriously considered getting Swambo another one this year. But since the brand was taken away from Spes Bona and given to M&Z, we opted to rather go for a Polo.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

the battery went and we had to call the dealer since you literately cannot get access to the car

Thanks for the reply!!!

Ja man.......I want to buy her a Polo, but you know the story ........ she wants something "funky". That's why she ONLY wants to drive that old Suzuki SJ for her Matric Year - nothing else.

Lyk my ENIGE kar is reg, solank hy net "Bluetooth" en nog 'n ding in het - ek het vergeet wat dit is.

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    the battery went and we had to call the dealer since you literately cannot get access to the car

Thanks for the reply!!!

Ja man.......I want to buy her a Polo, but you know the story ........ she wants something "funky". That's why she ONLY wants to drive that old Suzuki SJ for her Matric Year - nothing else.

Lyk my ENIGE kar is reg, solank hy net "Bluetooth" en nog 'n ding in het - ek het vergeet wat dit is.
    Blou tand en seker USB/SD card slot
    Jy kan met sekerheid die 500 koop. Stunning karretjies'
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Wat van die Panda?

Ons het n Pop nuut in 2015 gekoop, het nou amper 50k km's op en nog geen probleme nie.

Het al n paar keer Upt-Kaap en Kaap-Upt gedoen, teen n goeie spoed, gemaklik en lig op brandstof.

Ps
    Dienste was nog gecover.
    Maar is redelik goedkoop, en Fiat salesman het vir my gese die 1.2 is gebruik want daar is al miljoen + verkoop in Fiat karre.
    Mens kry hom net in 1.2, maar dit voel vir my of hy beter trek as in die 500.

Ek sien mens kan demo Lounge (die luukse weergawe) kry vir n goeie prys.
    Last edited by RJDenil; 2017/05/29 at 04:36 PM.

Good Day Gents

1) Which engines are the best?? 1.4 turbo
    2) How reliable are they........please state your mileage, service costs, issues, etc etc 2014 model 40 000km, no service costs as its under maintenance plan, there is a noise from the auto box when you pull off especially after heavy traffic or on a steep uphill and dealers cannot fix it but besides that it has never broken down or left the Mrs stranded
    3) Are they reasonably safe?? yes very much so I think
    4) Do they perform and handle OK?? Yes the abarth version does very nicely
    5) Can one drive long distance with it, like in 500 km tar road once a month?? we drove to Suncity and back with no problems at all, it was very quick and fuel consumption was still very low

ANY other advise and thoughts would be appreciated.

I'll be looking at something with VERY low miles, below 30 000, or then a newish one. Depends on which engines are deemed the more reliable.

THANKS8)
    I only have experience with the Abarth version, had the little fiat 500 pop which is a 0.9 litre engine I think for a day or 2 while dealer tried to sort out gearbox noise, please avoid that as it is painfully slow but extremely light on fuel and it was an auto
    Lexus GS350
    Nissan X-trail 2.5 4x4 (old rattle donkey)
    Polo Vivo 1.6 sedan...Ex (Stolen )
    Nissan Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/cab...Ex
    Steed 5 2.5tci 4x4 D/cab... Ex

I bought my daughter a 1200 POP earlier this year (2nd hand)
    1. It is the FIRE engine, similar to the one in the UNO's and they are deemed to be very reliable
    2. The same as any other small car (we have not required a service yet, but logic say it should be fine)
    3. VERY
    4. Performs exceptionally for a 1200 and handles like a go-kart. GREAT fun to drive
    5. Yes.

Also look at the option below - essentially the same car mechanically, but with 4 doors. If you can get a CLIMBING (4x4), it may put the Pinz to shame

Quote Originally Posted by RJDenil View Post
    Wat van die Panda?

Ons het n Pop nuut in 2015 gekoop, het nou amper 50k km's op en nog geen probleme nie.

Het al n paar keer Upt-Kaap en Kaap-Upt gedoen, teen n goeie spoed, gemaklik en lig op brandstof.

Mens kry hom net in 1.2, maar dit voel vir my of hy beter trek as in die 500.

Ek sien mens kan demo Lounge (die luukse weergawe) kry vir n goeie prys.

Mens kry nog nie die nuwe model Panda Climbing in SA nie, ongelukkig 😑

Net die ou model.

Safety....

When I got baby angel her car I looked into safety first.

The Fiat 500 is tops of the small cars. and I'm very very glad I did, because when she collected a cow in the road at 80km/h one night, the thing blew up inside like a marshmallow and they walked away from a very nasty incident completely unscathed. Luigi as the little blue Fiat was known, killa da bull, but died in the process.

We now have another one. Princess bubblegum

Ton of fun to drive, both were the 1.4 manual sport - for that you get a sport button which alters the steering effort and the pedal travel and the brakes, and it's like a little roller skate. FUN!

have had zero issues so far with either....

Luigi at his death.

The cow had been hit by a car a minute before - so it was a ton of beef lying in the road. She was doing 80, probably got it down to 60 because she was on the brakes (you can tell. the knee airbag cover is in line with the brake pedal and she had a beautiful impression of if on her calf for days....)

Front chassis legs were bent down, so it was history even though it looks reasonably okay on the outside.

3 of the 7 airbags went off - obviously, the seat bags and curtain bags didn't go off as there is no side impact.

Don't get her a polo....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5777.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	448442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5782.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	448443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5786.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	448444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5787.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	448445

It is the FIRE engine, similar to the one in the UNO's and they are deemed to be very reliable............if thats the case, I'm happy. Ultra reliable engines.

If you can get a CLIMBING (4x4), it may put the Pinz to shame
    ........interestingly enough, and I stand to be corrected but 99% sure : Steyr Puch not only designed the Gelandewagen, but also the Panda. They had some finger in the pie there. Come to think of it, there ARE some similarities.......

when she collected a cow in the road at 80km/h one night, the thing blew up inside like a marshmallow and they walked away from a very nasty incident completely unscathed. ...............this is music in my ears, thanks Apoc8)

So - yes, I'm nogal keen on the 500.

Sussie also likes a small SUV sort of thing, like a Landy SWB or RAV 3 Door. My choice here was the Terios - but she wo'nt bite.

So - the 500 is a sort of good "compromise" I think.
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2017/05/29 at 05:01 PM.

Cannot vouch for the small one but the 500X is superb, my daughters friend was in a serious accident in one involving three other vehicles and looking at the accident pics and the damage to all the vehicles it is imo only down to the safety features that she was unhurt. Regarding reliability sadly she has had some issues with that car and the new one, gearbox on the first and some niggling issues with electrics( as we speak the electric windows are not working)
    I also recently had one as a hire car in the UK and was very impressed, it was the 1.6 diesel( not available in SA) and it went pretty well with 5 up, great handling and punch on the secondary roads!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    FJC - Just Cruising

The 500L has that 1.6 Multijet Diesel, does 320NM... in a small-ish car that is very nice.

My parents have the Doblo Panorama, also has the 1.6 Multijet but only gives 290Nm. And is pulls good once the turbo kicks in.

1) For performance the 1.4 & for longevity I'd say the 1.2 - it's basically a Bulletproof 8v Uno engine with EFI. It can't break. Although the 1.4 is also reliable.

The 16v 1.4 is an interference engine & the 1.2 is non-interference.

2) My wife's is over 80kkm & the services are so cheap that I can't recall how much. Parts basket is either the cheapest or 3rd cheapest in its class. Indy is even cheaper. All we've replaced is pads. I think the 1.4 has rear discs. The 1.2 has rear drums. Nothing else has needed fixing/replacing other than an indicator & a numberplate bulb (Midas). The service interval is 30kkm but I send hers every 15kkm for filter & oil change. Tyres are cheap too.

3) They are the safest in their class & little else compares (7 airbags). Not all 1.2's have ESC. All the 1.4's do.

4) They both are highly chuckable through corners which is great fun. That's why so many F1 drivers tend to own them.

5) Either will do CTN-JHB with no fuss. The narrower tyres on the 1.2 POP doesn't promote stability when there's wind on the freeway. I think the 1.2 Lounge has the wider & lower profile tyres, like the 1.4's do. I'd say the 1.4 is obviously better on the open road but the 1.2 has lekker low torque for around town.

Nobody builds small cars like the Italians.

Highly recommended vehicle that doesn't skip a beat & is always fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    Regarding reliability sadly she has had some issues with that car and the new one, gearbox on the first and some niggling issues with electrics( as we speak the electric windows are not working)
    The 500X does have a reputation for electrical issues. Not the proper 500.

Petri by all accounts it's the best small car out there by miles. Coupled with the legendary poor Fiat resale value, you can get some real bargains.

Get her a 1.4 Cabrio

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    Petri by all accounts it's the best small car out there by miles. Coupled with the legendary poor Fiat resale value, you can get some real bargains.

Get her a 1.4 Cabrio
    Compared to what? The 500 doesn't suffer from poor resale at all. Only the really sporty ones take a hit.

The Fiat/Suzuki dealer where we got ours reckons that the 500 is only beat by the Jimny.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    Compared to what? The 500 doesn't suffer from poor resale at all. Only the really sporty ones take a hit.

The Fiat/Suzuki dealer where we got ours reckons that the 500 is only beat by the Jimny.
    They always seem quite cheap when you look at 2 to 3 year old models. But even brand new, I think at R180K you're getting a great car for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    They always seem quite cheap when you look at 2 to 3 year old models. But even brand new, I think at R180K you're getting a great car for the money.
    Again, compared to what?

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    Again, compared to what?
    Compared to a Polo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast