Kruger Traffic Jam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Kruger Traffic Jam

This is way I stay clear of the South...

http://www.traveller24.com/Explore/B...uming-20170526
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

Default Re: Kruger Traffic Jam

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    This is way I stay clear of the South...

http://www.traveller24.com/Explore/B...uming-20170526
    It's why I avoid the KNP full stop.

Kgalagadi is a horrible place. Stay away....
    Bush Lapa Miskruier: B116

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    It's why I avoid the KNP full stop.

Good times still to be had in the middle.... I go every year. If its gets busier in the middle, I will migrate up.
    "Grent" Vitara

Quote Originally Posted by HJB01 View Post
    Was there last year and in Kruger. Love both places. Not the same thing. Want to go to both. Regularly.
    "Grent" Vitara

One of the biggest mistakes I've made was alerting a single tour operator in front of me out of the kindness of my heart when I spotted a leopard stalking an antelope in Moremi back in 2011. Ten minutes later over a dozen tour operators and myself were all jostling for position. Never ever again. They can all go and get stuffed!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Betta View Post
    One of the biggest mistakes I've made was alerting a single tour operator in front of me out of the kindness of my heart when I spotted a leopard stalking an antelope in Moremi back in 2011. Ten minutes later over a dozen tour operators and myself were all jostling for position. Never ever again. They can all go and get stuffed!
    Just sit with the Bird book on your lap. If they ask what you looking at, look into the nearest tree and say you are trying to figure out if that bird is a common dove or a common sparrow...
    "Grent" Vitara

The problem with these guys is they all have VHF radios and communicate and share sightings.

There is a huge problem with these "OSV's", and it's not only them, but self driving tourists as well. Everybody is chasing sightings, either by use of a radio or apps, there is more to Kruger than the Big5. This causes speeding and traffic jams, not to mention the stress that is sometimes put on the animals.

I must also mention that in my experience, the tour operators in the south are alot more inconsiderate and obnoxious than the ones in central Kruger.

As long as they have radios and cellphones, and get BIG tips for showing tourists a leopard 800m away in a tree - this will be a problem.
    NJ Vermaak

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D | '85 PUCH Gelšndewagen | Bush Lapa Miskruier 404

Northern Kruger is really bad. Please avoid at all costs!!!

Seriously though, the Kruger is just another way to get greedy paws on money for some. Luckily OSV and large vistor numbers stay mostly away from the North.
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    Northern Kruger is really bad. Please avoid at all costs!!!

Seriously though, the Kruger is just another way to get greedy paws on money for some. Luckily OSV and large vistor numbers stay mostly away from the North.

How far north we talking here Groenman?

Whenever I start planning a trip I check Balule, Satara, Orpen, Tamboti etc. All horrible places stay away.

But I have, two years back, done a "enter at Pafuri and exit at Croc Bridge" trip. And I must say I loved Punda Maria and tsendze. but I am sick so please everyone stay away.
    "Grent" Vitara

Just come back from Kruger, always go in at Pafuri and stay north. This time my wife needed to see a doctor so we shot down to Skukuza from Satara. I had forgotten how busy it gets down there. We came across 4 lion cubs next to the road about 30km from Skukuza. After that we stopped to watch baboons on the road, a green LR viewer arrives at quite a speed, the ranger asks me if the lion cubs are still there. I thought to myself that he only knew from the radio transmissions it was too early for him to be making a second trip into Kruger. I told him no they had moved off. They stayed and watched baboons. There was such a traffic jam they would not have got closer. It is chaos, stay north you will see it all.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Quote Originally Posted by njvermaak View Post
    The problem with these guys is they all have VHF radios and communicate and share sightings.

There is a huge problem with these "OSV's", and it's not only them, but self driving tourists as well. Everybody is chasing sightings, either by use of a radio or apps, there is more to Kruger than the Big5. This causes speeding and traffic jams, not to mention the stress that is sometimes put on the animals.

I must also mention that in my experience, the tour operators in the south are alot more inconsiderate and obnoxious than the ones in central Kruger.

As long as they have radios and cellphones, and get BIG tips for showing tourists a leopard 800m away in a tree - this will be a problem.

Well when we go as a group, we get VHF radios as well. We all drive the same roads mostly, it just makes the chatter in between all the more fun and good to communicate when someone actually do see something. (Not to call them in from miles away) The traffic would be same even if we did not have the radios.

I am therefore squarely blaming the OSV's and busses! That's just wrong...
    "Grent" Vitara

How far north we talking here Groenman?

Whenever I start planning a trip I check Balule, Satara, Orpen, Tamboti etc. All horrible places stay away.

But I have, two years back, done a "enter at Pafuri and exit at Croc Bridge" trip. And I must say I loved Punda Maria and tsendze. but I am sick so please everyone stay away.
    Anything north from Olifants for me. Look, I enjoy the south when quiet and the sightings are great, but not worth the under breath swearing and SWAMBO telling me stop calling the OSV driver an Afrikaans box etc.

My favourite camps are Shingwedzi, Sirheni, Shimuwini and Mopani.

I must also say, Kruger, for me, is about so much more than the big 5. Nothing compares to making a breakfast on a gas braai under the massive leadwoods and jackalberries at Pafuri, or seeing the mopanis change colour in autumn. Or the baobabs... I visit for the campfire at night and the early morning rusks and coffee somewhere on a riverloop. To hear the "bosveldvisvanger" and "neushoringvoŽl" call. Those green tiles in the bathrooms and buying an ice cream at a camp shop after a long drive. Some good quality time with my wife and sometimes with my parents as well. To me, THAT is a holiday. If I go to Kruger and not see a lion, that's also ok with me.
    Stephan

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Quote Originally Posted by HJB01 View Post

This is very true. Basically no animals to see for maaaaany kilometers. No Buffelo, rhino, ellies, zebra. Please stay away.
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    Anything north from Olifants for me. Look, I enjoy the south when quiet and the sightings are great, but not worth the under breath swearing and SWAMBO telling me stop calling the OSV driver an Afrikaans box etc.

My favourite camps are Shingwedzi, Sirheni, Shimuwini and Mopani.

I must also say, Kruger, for me, is about so much more than the big 5. Nothing compares to making a breakfast on a gas braai under the massive leadwoods and jackalberries at Pafuri, or seeing the mopanis change colour in autumn. Or the baobabs... I visit for the campfire at night and the early morning rusks and coffee somewhere on a riverloop. To hear the "bosveldvisvanger" and "neushoringvoŽl" call. Those green tiles in the bathrooms and buying an ice cream at a camp shop after a long drive. Some good quality time with my wife and sometimes with my parents as well. To me, THAT is a holiday. If I go to Kruger and not see a lion, that's also ok with me.
    A kindred spirit! Exactly like you say. I seriously missed the greasy brekkie in Kgalagdi, although I actually did make one on my own gas plate, much to the dismay of the fellow picnicspotters.

Your post has me yearning. Every year its like I am getting "sick" and I NEED to go there to heal... October I will be healed again...
    "Grent" Vitara

A kindred spirit! Exactly like you say. I seriously missed the greasy brekkie in Kgalagdi, although I actually did make one on my own gas plate, much to the dismay of the fellow picnicspotters.

Your post has me yearning. Every year its like I am getting "sick" and I NEED to go there to heal... October I will be healed again...
    I'm with you.

I think the parks are about so much more than spotting a lion.
    Eddie

2005 des ,this was our first trip solo camping with a tent and learning the ropes ,we camped in kruger and across a small stream there was these campers , 06h00 ish, a sell fone went off and this guy just said, lions, and all hell broke ,they ran out the tents just with the pyjamas on,jump in the cars and off to see lions just outside the camp.just imagine the traffic jamm,

we had a good laugh and said, is this how it is done.

a couple years later we allso had the run in with the osv,my moer was dik and then it was the kgalagadi all the way ,but times are changing there too .

Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

Swambo and I spend every visit in Tsendze for a week. Love the solidute and wide open spaces. September we are braving Balule for a week. A week a of healing. Yes we fear the South. Too many homeo sapiens in wild Land Rovers look out vehicles. Can't wait!
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

I can get to Kruger twice a year. Bots every couple of years. This year spent 8 nights in Satara during school holidays. Not a single traffic jam at any of the predator signings - 2 leopard, 4 lion, cheetah and 2 dog. At most 5 cars at each.

Called into Skukuza and Lower Sabie on the way home, it was tourist hell.

I love Bots and Namibia, but if I can't get there then Kruger is still better than the city.
    Love your neighbour. Thatís about it, itíll be the world we want.

I guess there is a degree of the inevitable as regards traffic at a good sighting. But a few personal moans / gripes.

1. Contractors/employees. At least twice while watching lion sightings close to the tar road, a contractor late to get somewhere (bakkie with big trailer) pushes past all the cars, goes within a metre or so of the lions, one set had cubs, scaring them off and in a potentially dangerous situation (for the lions).

2. Johnny foreigner. I know we are meant to love tourists but my view of a good sighting is that you get a good position, take your photos and move on, leaving a gap for the next person. Not Johnny in his rental. He stays as long as he likes, reverses, turns and generally hogs the sighting so he can get photos and a few selfies on his cell phone.

Rant over.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast