Malaba or Busia Border Post?

Default Malaba or Busia Border Post?

Hi Fellow Africa Travellers,
    I am planning a trip for July 2018 and have to travel from Kampala to Nairobi. Which road will be the best to take. The road through Busia border post via Kisumu or the Malaba border post via Eldoret. Things to concider will be time, scenic landscape and road condition.
    Your input will be greatly appreciated.
    Bennie Bester

Default Re: Malaba or Busia Border Post?

Quote Originally Posted by Bennie Bester View Post
    Hi Fellow Africa Travellers,
    I have to travel from Kampala to Nairobi. Which road will be the best to take. The road through Busia border post via Kisumu or the Malaba border post via Eldoret. Things to concider will be time, scenic landscape and road condition. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Bennie Bester
    Hi Bennie, pleased to see that the trip planning is continuing.

There are pros and cons to both border posts and routes. Here is the relevant section from our trip blog where we had to make the same decision.
    "The big debate here is which border post to use. There is no consensus and the overlander truck drivers at Red Chili in Uganda argued the odds when I asked a group of them. We decided on Malaba rather than Busia. If you are going to south-western Kenya then the more southerly placed Busia is better. If heading more north as we were, then go for Malaba. Busia has less trucks but more private motor vehicles and was traditionally favoured for this reason. Malaba has new modern immigration and customs offices on both sides which has speeded it up a lot. When the new revamped road on the first 10km of the Kenyan side is complete then Malaba probably would be easier and quicker than Busia".

So we used Malaba.
    If you want to see more of Lake Victoria take the smaller and less busy (but possibly not quicker) border at Busia. At Kisumu a friend was happy with the Dunga Campsite overlooking the Lake.
    The road on the Kenyan side of the Malaba border post will be complete by now. This direct road to Nairobi goes via Eldoret as you state and this route through the Kenyan Highlands is probably more scenic at a push. If you need to overnight before Nairobi then Naiberi River Camp near Eldoret is quite a gathering place for overlanders. I heard that you cannot drive your vehicle into the campsite as the gap is too narrow but others have made some sort of plan there.
    I don't know if the less busy route to Nairobi via Kisumu, is quicker or easier. We found the more northerly route fine and Malaba would be my choice.

I am very surprised to hear that you are heading straight towards Nairobi from Uganda. If you are deviating either north or south before the capitol then let that direction dictate which border and route you take.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Hi Stan,
    Thanks for the detailed info. I have to go south to pick Elsie up at Nairobi Airport. The rest of the group will head more east and I will catch up with them later.
    Back to the border post.
    In 2015 I went the Mabala way and really enjoyed the route on the highlands. I unfortunately am a sucker for an alternative route. The thing is I do not want to take another route and spend to much extra time on that route. So as it sounds Busia would then be a possibilty. Busia also boasts new boder post buildings.
    Thanka again Stan.
    Greetings Bennie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennie Bester For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bennie Bester View Post
    Hi Stan,
    Thanks for the detailed info. I have to go south to pick Elsie up at Nairobi Airport. The rest of the group will head more east and I will catch up with them later.
    Back to the border post.
    In 2015 I went the Mabala way and really enjoyed the route on the highlands. I unfortunately am a sucker for an alternative route. The thing is I do not want to take another route and spend to much extra time on that route. So as it sounds Busia would then be a possibilty. Busia also boasts new boder post buildings.
    Thanka again Stan.
    Greetings Bennie
    We have been through the Busia border numerous times over the years, but have never been through Malaba. We also - in 2014 - crossed from Kenya into Uganda through Suam River, although this is the more intrepid crossing to the north of Mt Elgon.

As Stan says, it depends whether you want to hammer down the main road to Nairobi. From Busia, the road goes to Kisumu (2.5 hours drive), and from Kisumu the "normal" route goes through Kericho (tea growing area), and then joins the main Malaba-Eldoret-Nakuru-Nairobi road at Mau Summit (an hour or so west of Nakuru). Or, if you were going to the Mara - or wanted a less busy and different route - then you could go Kericho-Sotik-Narok-Mahii Mahiu-Nairobi.

All these routes are Tarmac.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Just to add to this thread in case someone finds it in the future. We recently (3 days ago) went through Busia border, but their e-visa processing system was offline so we had to go to Malaba. Most people would however probably already have the East African visa sticker in their passports by the time they reach these border post.

Both border posts were one-stop borders meaning the Kenyan and Ugandan immigration officers sit next to each other in the same building. The buildings and layout at both border posts are exactly the same, they literally used the same building plan, paint and signs. There were definitely more trucks at Malaba, but they don't have any influence on the proceedings of 'private' vehicles and people so both borders were equally quite on Thursday over lunch. At Busia we had to wait almost 30 minutes for a customs official to finish lunch before our Carnet could be stamped.

So in conclusion I would say both borders are so similar that the only thing influencing one's decision on which one to use is which route you want to take and even then it isn't such a big factor as one can easily go from Busia to Malaba or vice versa on both the Ugandan and Kenyan side.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hugmin42 For This Useful Post: