Conqueror Companion A-Frame Failure!!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Conqueror Companion A-Frame Failure!!

Good day all

We have had problems with A-Frames cracking and breaking on the Conqueror Companion.

This is what your pride and joy might look like....see photo's

We do rentals and a client phoned me up in a panic, the a-frame had broken off completely in Botswana, I rushed up to assist and found the trailer next to the road. After inspection we found that It had broken on the the bolt holes right beneath the main box. We repaired it as best we could to get it back.

In the process I found out that this was not a one off case but that several of these "mishaps" had taken place.
    Conqueror left a hole on the underside of the A-frame for a spanner to attach the main box to the a-frame. It cracks right there.

In a panic I got hold of one of my clients heading to Moremi, luckily he could get that Companion inspected in Maun, this one showed a large crack on the same spot. We were fortunate to have caught it in time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3417.JPG 
Views:	1154 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	447344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3419.JPG 
Views:	1146 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	447345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3411.JPG 
Views:	1150 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	447346  
    Land Rover is not a vehicle it is a cult!
    Gas Gas 300 with training wheels.

Default Re: Conqueror Companion A-Frame Failure!!

Here is the fun part....

The insurance won't pay for the damage as they see it as a manufacturer issue.

They insisted on an independent inspection and his report stated the following......

"The weakest sections of the chassis legs is in the manufactured bolt holes. The fact that the chassis legs cracked and broke through the centers of both the front bolt holes, is clear evidence that the manufacturers interfered with the strength of the chassis legs during manufacturing of these. One could expect failure of the chassis legs in these areas sooner or later, especially because these trailers are specifically built to be used on off-road conditions where the chassis is exposed to sever flexing and bending.
    It is highly recommended that the manufacturers should be approached with regards to liability."

Companion Owners be warned!! This might happen to you at any moment.

I did contact Conqueror about the issue....

They quoted me R30k to repair the damage......wow

Today they informed me that "out of good will we will give you a 20% discount"

Seems fair.....Not..... It still equates to a cost to me of R24000 for something that was not caused by me or the driver of the towing vehicle but according the the report was due to the manufacturer weakening the beam.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Congo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Congo View Post
    Conqueror left a hole on the underside of the A-frame for a spanner to attach the main box to the a-frame. It cracks right there.
    Weakening the stress flange of a box section?
    A reinforcing plate welded over / around the hole would have cost a few R only!

What other stupid structural boo-boos are there on the frame?
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Some more pics of the Companion.

I asked the workshop manager what steps they have taken to prevent this from happening in the future on their new models....
    He said they increased the material thickness of the beams....I mean really, so it will still break but it will take a month or 2 more before it breaks....

Basically it has to last until the unit is out of warranty.....

Anybody in the market for a slightly used Companion?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3416.JPG 
Views:	790 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	447358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3415.JPG 
Views:	789 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	447359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3431.JPG 
Views:	830 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	447360  

No!!
    I would not accept this from the manufacturer, take it further for sure.
    Manufacturing fault according to the assessor = manufacturer liable, and let the insurance company fight it out in court with them - you don't need to carry the cost of the dispute.
    We actually saw this caravan along the track toward Motswere Gate into CKGR a few of weeks ago and also chatted with one of the parties in that group.
    The man's holiday was ruined - extra expense etc.

The manufacturer should come to the party - not with a discount but with full compensation.

Don't let them walk over you. I would not.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Get a mechanical PrEng to give you a report.

That should be the end of the 'argument'
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    No!!
    I would not accept this from the manufacturer, take it further for sure.
    Manufacturing fault according to the assessor = manufacturer liable, and let the insurance company fight it out in court with them - you don't need to carry the cost of the dispute.
    We actually saw this caravan along the track toward Motswere Gate into CKGR a few of weeks ago and also chatted with one of the parties in that group.
    The man's holiday was ruined - extra expense etc.

The manufacturer should come to the party - not with a discount but with full compensation.

Don't let them walk over you. I would not.
    Agree. This looks bad for Conqueror and if I was an owner and found an issue like this there would be groot ###. They have to come to the party if it is a manufacturing issue. What about the safety aspect of this...imagine this happening on a highway at 120?!
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Yes, I am busy arranging for a further report on the failure, I have also had a chat with the senior people at NRCS

The insurance won't get involved as they have a clause that state they do not cover manufacturer design or build errors.

All we can say is Conqueror owners be warned, it is a ticking timebomb.....

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Agree. This looks bad for Conqueror and if I was an owner and found an issue like this there would be groot ###. They have to come to the party if it is a manufacturing issue. What about the safety aspect of this...imagine this happening on a highway at 120?!
    In my correspondence with them I said the same thing, must somebody get badly hurt before they actually do something?

Here is the fun part....

The insurance won't pay for the damage as they see it as a manufacturer issue.
    Surely an insurance company can't do this? Imagine what would happen to Ford Kuga drivers....

Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    Surely an insurance company can't do this? Imagine what would happen to Ford Kuga drivers....
    Yep, see below....

6.3. Specific Exclusions.
    We will not be liable for losses arising from:

6.3.3. Mechanical breakdown and or failure of any kind (otherwise not more specifically insured elsewhere in this policy) which includes but which is not limited to the tearing apart on account of:

6.3.3.2. Load shock.
    6.3.3.3. Cracking.
    6.3.3.4. Fracturing.

6.3.4. Weld failures.
    6.3.5. Wear and tear.

6.3.12. Loss or damage for which a manufacturer, supplier, contractor or repairer is responsible.

This was the temp repair....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

In my opinion the insurance company has the right to repudiate the claim for the damage / repairs / compensation but should take up the costs of action against the manufacturer if that is where the problem lies.

COMPREHENSIVE insurance cover surely means just that!?

The insured party should be placed in a similar position had the incident not have occurred.
    The insured party was (according to info. provided here) NOT responsible for the failure and therefore should be covered.

Of course I am assuming that he did have comprehensive cover including off-road (4x4) cover in place.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    In my opinion the insurance company has the right to repudiate the claim for the damage / repairs / compensation but should take up the costs of action against the manufacturer if that is where the problem lies.

COMPREHENSIVE insurance cover surely means just that!?

The insured party should be placed in a similar position had the incident not have occurred.
    The insured party was (according to info. provided here) NOT responsible for the failure and therefore should be covered.

Of course I am assuming that he did have comprehensive cover including off-road (4x4) cover in place.
    Yep, I was under that impression as well, but then there is the fine print one never reads.......exclusions

6.3.12. Loss or damage for which a manufacturer, supplier, contractor or repairer is responsible.

Congo,
    we need to be fair to Conqueror as well ......
    I personally bought my second companion now and have not experienced any structural failures. I have a number of friends who have conqueror companions .. also without structural failures . Conqueror is in no way perfect, same as any other supplier whether Jurgens, Toyota,etc. but to generalise before you have expert opinion on this and to proceed to tarnish the brand and "warn conqueror owners of a ticking time bomb ..." is a bit reckless.

as per your own admittance, you are renting these units to third parties .......... entailing that you do not know whether they are overloading the units ...., abusing the units .....etc. We all know that the best 4x4 is a rental from Avis......

Must admit renting vehicles (cars or 4x4) from Avis has always been a good customer experience .... friendly very helpful staff and fair charges,

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4eTouareg View Post
    Weakening the stress flange of a box section?
    A reinforcing plate welded over / around the hole would have cost a few R only!

What other stupid structural boo-boos are there on the frame?
    Welding in a high stress fatigue point... That's a structural boo-boo right there.

He said they increased the material thickness of the beams....I mean really, so it will still break but it will take a month or 2 more before it breaks....
    Well fatigue doesn't work this way. What Conqueror have done to fix the issue is correct. With thin plates a small change in thickness makes a huge increase in strength. 2.5mm plate is twice as strong as 2mm plate in bending. Also as you reduce stress the effect on life is logarithmic. So depending on where on the SN curve you are a halving of stress can increase the life by ten times or even infinite if you drop below the fatigue limit stress.

I see a rental sign on the side of the van. I'd hazard a guess that this van has probably done ten times the duty a "normal" van would. You know for instance that the warranty on an outboard motor varies depending on whether it's for private on commercial use.

Putting a hole in the tension flange of the draw bar at the point of maximum bending moment is however spectacularly stupid detailing.

Quote Originally Posted by divvie View Post
    Congo,
    we need to be fair to Conqueror as well ......
    I personally bought my second companion now and have not experienced any structural failures. I have a number of friends who have conqueror companions .. also without structural failures . Conqueror is in no way perfect, same as any other supplier whether Jurgens, Toyota,etc. but to generalise before you have expert opinion on this and to proceed to tarnish the brand and "warn conqueror owners of a ticking time bomb ..." is a bit reckless.

as per your own admittance, you are renting these units to third parties .......... entailing that you do not know whether they are overloading the units ...., abusing the units .....etc. We all know that the best 4x4 is a rental from Avis......

Here with again a quote from the report on by an independent inspector......these are not my words!

"The weakest sections of the chassis legs is in the manufactured bolt holes. The fact that the chassis legs cracked and broke through the centers of both the front bolt holes, is clear evidence that the manufacturers interfered with the strength of the chassis legs during manufacturing of these. One could expect failure of the chassis legs in these areas sooner or later, especially because these trailers are specifically built to be used on off-road conditions where the chassis is exposed to sever flexing and bending.
    It is highly recommended that the manufacturers should be approached with regards to liability."

Have you taken this up with a dealer or Conqueror HQ.

I am on my 3rd Conqueror and start the relationship in 1999 yes I have had a few issues that needed attention and all were resold amicably. As for the "time bomb" what a lot of nonsense. What often happens is additions to the caravan and abuse, drastically reduce the structure and reliability.

Entertaining comments from BL owners, thanks for your opinion.

Best suggestion is to get the caravan to Heidelberg HQ and discuss options with team. To expect a no charge repair is ludicrous, as this is not a new van. What model is it,what mileage has it done and has it been serviced regularly ?
    How can you be old and wise
    if you were never young and wild

2016 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4X4 Auto
    2015 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT Auto
    2015 Mini Countryman
    2016 Conqueror Companion 2B

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grant1 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast