Conqueror Companion A-Frame Failure!! - Page 8

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Conqueror Companion A-Frame Failure!!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit fourie View Post
    Thanks for the photo's. Is that not the "skid plate" Congo referred to in post 32 ?
    Yes. The skid plate attaches to the reinforcement bracket.
    Merlin van Zyl

Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4
    Nissan Pathfinder 2.5 Dci 4x4
    Conqueror Companion Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin4WP View Post
    Here are the pics of the reinforcement.
    Hi Merlin, could you please post some more pics.

From what I can see that "skid plate" is bolted on infront of where the cracks start?
    Not sure how this would solve the issue?
    Land Rover is not a vehicle it is a cult!
    Gas Gas 300 with training wheels.

[QUOTE=Ciaran Stirling;3608908]
    Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post

"Even though I did my best to avoid any damage to the A-frame, I was constantly aware of the weakness and had a brand new A-frame lying in my garage just in case. (I still need to get rid of it)."

Hi Theron. I just bought a second hand Companion, and after reading this thread I checked it and found it to be cracked on the A frame exactly where the others have found the cracks. Im looking to replace the A frame and would be interested in the one you are looking to get rid of, if its available? What would be the best way to contact you?
    Apologies Ciaran, only reading this now. A frame was sold few weeks ago.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Lifes a journey, enjoy the ride

I cannot read all the posts now. I will try to see later.

The big problem in SA is that there is no recall of faulty units like in US or in EU. I have Jurgens XT120. There are 3 different designs in front of the A frame. The first designs breaks, second is better and the third fixes the original design error but introduces an other design error making the safety chain nearly useless. I did ask one large dealer if there has been a recall - NEVER!!!! Jurgens found out the problem, improved the design (to an extend) but as we live in a secret society they have not done recall - no need. Issue applies at least to XT140 also. (There is a tread on this topic in this section)

As I understand there are failures and some have cracks = design error = recall = repair on manufacturer's cost.

Designing of an item that is subject to a dynamic load like A frame is problematic - really problematic. To make the frame stiff is not necessarily the solution. Such can fail due to fatigue. Making it too soft and it fail under load or fatigue or both.

P.S. I looked at couple pictures on page 7. By adding those reinforcement brackets the manufacturer openly admits that there is a problem. What they have done is reinforce those frames they could not totally redesign (Maybe already in stock). Exactly what Jurgens did with design 2, see above. In a good legal system the manufacturer would be in s...t.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Quote Originally Posted by Congo View Post
    Good day all

We have had problems with A-Frames cracking and breaking on the Conqueror Companion.

This is what your pride and joy might look like....see photo's

We do rentals and a client phoned me up in a panic, the a-frame had broken off completely in Botswana, I rushed up to assist and found the trailer next to the road. After inspection we found that It had broken on the the bolt holes right beneath the main box. We repaired it as best we could to get it back.

In the process I found out that this was not a one off case but that several of these "mishaps" had taken place.
    Conqueror left a hole on the underside of the A-frame for a spanner to attach the main box to the a-frame. It cracks right there.

In a panic I got hold of one of my clients heading to Moremi, luckily he could get that Companion inspected in Maun, this one showed a large crack on the same spot. We were fortunate to have caught it in time.
    Yes, Land Rover Discovery 2 is the perfect car for towing Trailers. Im looking for a pre owned Conqueror Companion. Can you help me?

Default Conqueror Companion A-Frame Failure!!

Last edited by Bushlapa 836; 2017/08/25 at 05:33 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushlapa 836 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bushlapa 836 View Post
    That post is over 3 years old....

Sorry but I'm confused here, what is the difference between Avis etc and a single owner coming up with a warranty claim on a chassis failure at the same age and mileage? Do manufacturers only build vehicles to last 2 years? Are you saying that multiple users are the issue? What about the second hand market then?

Should the manufacturer then not clearly state that our product will only last for X years or y Botswana trips there after it will fail and we will charge you for the repairs?

Really?

Does not seem to be the message portraid in their advertising?

Congo, as far as I am aware your conqueror is NOT an isolated problem and Conqueror is involved in a court case regarding the cracks on the A-frame. Ask around, a family friend of mine was also quoted a massive amount to repair by an independent. This independent person has been taken to court because he made it known that Conqueror have a problem. Inbox me, I will give you contact details of my friend. His name is Fred Hermann, did the repair himself, and sold the van on as he could not rely on it!
    2011 Discovery LR4 HSE
    2008 LR 110 Defender Puma SVX, 60th Anniversary Ltd Edition.
    2006 LR 110 Defender Td5
    2014 Jurgens Safari Xplorer
    Renault Clio VaVaVoom

Quote Originally Posted by AllanDrover View Post
    Congo, as far as I am aware your conqueror is NOT an isolated problem and Conqueror is involved in a court case regarding the cracks on the A-frame. Ask around, a family friend of mine was also quoted a massive amount to repair by an independent. This independent person has been taken to court because he made it known that Conqueror have a problem. Inbox me, I will give you contact details of my friend. His name is Fred Hermann, did the repair himself, and sold the van on as he could not rely on it!
    Hi Allan
    Do you mind sharing some more info on this and where you got the info from regarding the court case?
    I have not read or heard anything on a court case, it will be interesting to get more info on this.

Thanks!
    2018 Mitsubishi Triton Athlete 2.4 DI-D with SuperSelect II
    2017 Conqueror Companion Platinum Edition

** Every father should remember that one day his son will follow his example instead of his advice **

Thank you Allen, unfortunately Conqueror have deep pockets and expensive legal teams and I do not need the negative energy in my life.
    They rely on the fact that average Jo can't afford to take them to court.
    Problem is that at some point somebody will get hurt when one of their units breaks at speed.

I fixed the A-frames on my Companions with the help of my Engineering design team, they are now 100% stronger and will most likely outlast the body.

Be warned, this is a known issue, it is not a question of "If" but "when"
    Land Rover is not a vehicle it is a cult!
    Gas Gas 300 with training wheels.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Congo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gvanman View Post
    That post is over 3 years old....
    Presicely, it confirms the point that Congo made about the fact that it is a known problem.
    Last edited by Bushlapa 836; 2017/08/29 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushlapa 836 View Post
    Presicely, it confirms the point that Congo made about the fact that it is a known problem.

I am seeing a concise effort by the BL clan to discredit Conqueror on this thread...

Is this planned?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan101 View Post
    I am seeing a concise effort by the BL clan to discredit Conqueror on this thread...

Is this planned?
    Seriously? You see it as "BL clan" and I see it as ex Conqueror owners that are understandably frustrated. We all love doing the same thing so let's chill and not be too quick to call it something it is not. I'm sure Conqueror will come to the party at the end of the day.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Is this planned?
    If you have serious blinkers on you could come to the conclusion. All I've seen on this thread is very disappointed Conqueror owners scratching their heads as to why Conqueror would leave them in the lurch with this issue when it's obvious they know about it and have known about it for years.

Interesting the link to the other forum Conqueror Oz was supplying a new drawbar. Meanwhile back at HQ....

Is this planned?
    Your eyes are deceiving you.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushlapa 836 For This Useful Post:

Thank you Allen, unfortunately Conqueror have deep pockets and expensive legal teams and I do not need the negative energy in my life.
    They rely on the fact that average Jo can't afford to take them to court.
    Problem is that at some point somebody will get hurt when one of their units breaks at speed.

I fixed the A-frames on my Companions with the help of my Engineering design team, they are now 100% stronger and will most likely outlast the body.

Be warned, this is a known issue, it is not a question of "If" but "when"

I'm sorry Congo. But making a statement like "it is not a question of if but when" but then in the same sentence you say that you don't need the negative energy and not going to fight them is nonsense. Sorry!

If you are so sure about all the facts then I'm 100% sure you can and will win a case against them. It is not a case of who has the best lawyer, if you and your engineering team can proof this (and it looks like you can from what I've read) then do it.

I'm a Companion owner and let me tell you if this happend to me I would not just leave it. Doesn't matter what brand of trailer or car.
    If I drive my Triton and the front suspension collapsed while driving on the highway I will take further action IF and there is a big IF..... IF I can proof there is a design fault and that maintenance has not been neglected.

I agree taking something like this will cost money, but if there are so many of these a-frame failures and you have proof, do something about it.

Look I will also be p*$$3d if this happened to me, but I think there comes a stage where you either cut your losses and stop going on about how unhappy and how crap Conqueror is, OR do something about it and fight it. Go park your trailer with a big sign on it about how unhappy you are right across the road from Conqueror, maybe you will then get their attention. if you just going to leave it, then it is mabe time to stop going on about what happened.
    Last edited by Toks; 2017/08/29 at 08:06 PM.
    2018 Mitsubishi Triton Athlete 2.4 DI-D with SuperSelect II
    2017 Conqueror Companion Platinum Edition

** Every father should remember that one day his son will follow his example instead of his advice **

Quote Originally Posted by Toks View Post
    I'm sorry Congo. But making a statement like "it is not a question of if but when" but then in the same sentence you say that you don't need the negative energy and not going to fight them is nonsense. Sorry!

If you are so sure about all the facts then I'm 100% sure you can and will win a case against them. It is not a case of who has the best lawyer, if you and your engineering team can proof this (and it looks like you can from what I've read) then do it.

I'm a Companion owner and let me tell you if this happend to me I would not just leave it. Doesn't matter what brand of trailer or car.
    If I drive my Triton and the front suspension collapsed while driving on the highway I will take further action IF and there is a big IF..... IF I can proof there is a design fault and that maintenance has not been neglected.

I agree taking something like this will cost money, but if there are so many of these a-frame failures and you have proof, do something about it.

Look I will also be p*$$3d if this happened to me, but I think there comes a stage where you either cut your losses and stop going on about how unhappy and how crap Conqueror is, OR do something about it and fight it. Go park your trailer with a big sign on it about how unhappy you are right across the road from Conqueror, maybe you will then get their attention. if you just going to leave it, then it is mabe time to stop going on about what happened.
    You are horribly naive if you think facts alone win court cases.

The op is doing us a community service to warn others of the potential dangers inherent in these trailers, have a heart.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2017/08/29 at 08:14 PM.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Is the A-frame issue issolated to the Companion or were there issues with the Commander as well?
    2010 Prado 4.0 VX
    1984 Suzuki SJ410
    Conqueror Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Toks View Post
    IF I can proof there is a design fault and that maintenance has not been neglected.
    I was just wondering what maintenance you do on your Companion drawbar to stop it cracking?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast