Discovery 1 300 Tdi timing belt change DIY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 300 Tdi timing belt change DIY

So, the time has come to replace my timing belt. It seems like the front crank seal has failed, covering everything with oil.

I'm starting this thread to "blog" the progress, so that others may benefit from it in the future. Also for anyone who feels like contributing - tips, ideas, warnings, encouragement, vocabulary of new swear words to use when under a 300 Tdi... whatever...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 300 Tdi timing belt change DIY

I plan to do the following work together:

- replace timing belt and tensioner, idler, crank gear pulley, etc.
    - replace all seals on front of engine: so far I know about crankshaft seal, camshaft seal. Anything else I'll find will also be replaced
    - replace front cover + oil pump if possible (my oil pressure is a bit low at high speed/temperature)

At the same time, I'll also:
    - flush radiator and intercooler
    - replace 2x condenser fans (aircon discharge/refill is then needed)
    - replace some coolant hoses
    - replace drive belt tensioner bearings and maybe the tensioner as well
    - set valve clearances and replace rocker cover gasket
    - replace a whole bunch of miscellaneous breather hoses that are starting to look tatty
    - perhaps get the heater matrix out and refurbish (I suspect a small intermittent leak!)
    - take the sump off, inspect stuff and reattach with a known brand gasket maker, since it's leaking a bit
    - what else?

Well, it's Saturday, and the job has begun!

Parts still to arrive: around R3300 from LP4A for a whole bunch of things. I've had great service and friendliness from every Landy parts indy I've used, so don't want to seem as if I'm bashing the others - BUT these guys are amazing. I use them a lot also, because I'm often in Midrand and it's just so easy to get there.

Today I removed all the peripheral stuff. Fan+shroud, pulleys, timing cover. Left the radiator in, only lost about 1 litre of coolant through the top hose. I won't remove the radiator if I can help it - there's plenty of space to work in there, and coolant was replaced a year ago anyway.

It might not be the nicest job to do, but it's not technically too demanding (so far!). About on par with the same job on my Sani, if I recall right.

OK, so the above post was positive - a good note to start on.

But this is a Landy after all. Nothing is as simple as it looks.

The timing cover is full of shredded timing belt. I estimate about 40% of the belt has been eaten. This over about 45 000 km. So there's a pretty good chance that the belt wouldn't have made the 60 000 km change interval.

It seems as though it's running up against the outer edge of the crank sprocket (i.e. it wants to come off, forwards).

There was an "upgrade"/recall on this, many years ago. But I would have imagined this would be sorted by this stage. My engine was "new" from Remtec, but the timing gear, etc. would not have been part of that - so it's the original stuff that came with the other engine, which I don't think had any of these problems.

If I remember correctly the new crank timing sprocket had a "shoulder" - this one does, so that means it must have the upgrade? Or am I missing something?

OK, I've just done some more homework to refresh my memory.

Older engines had a replacement kit which included a new timing case, injection pump bracket plus the pulleys and stuff.

My engine did come from Remtec WITH the timing case, since this contains the oil pump and I know they tested oil pressure before releasing the engine. So the front timing cover is "mine", but the timing case is "theirs" and came with their remanufactured engine. So if "their" engine was an early model 300 Tdi, it means I don't have the modification and will need to do it (about R6000 for the timing case).

RossJ has just sent me some useful info about the tensioner bolts. If they're stripped, it can cause misalignment. Will check this before seeing the bank manager.

Question for you guys. All comments welcome.

Timing belt wear is a scary thing. You have long intervals and lots can happen inside the timing case. It is a schlepp to remove the timing case because of the crank pulley. SO...

How do you guys feel about drilling a small "inspection hatch" in the timing cover while it's out? Then you can put a little cover over there which you can remove at every service interval and inspect the timing belt with a torch.

My brother has a bore scope at work I must see if I can get a good video or Accsess via the wading plug at the bottom
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    Question for you guys. All comments welcome.

Timing belt wear is a scary thing. You have long intervals and lots can happen inside the timing case. It is a schlepp to remove the timing case because of the crank pulley. SO...

How do you guys feel about drilling a small "inspection hatch" in the timing cover while it's out? Then you can put a little cover over there which you can remove at every service interval and inspect the timing belt with a torch.
    I had an inspection slot milled into my timing cover 15 years ago and it works very well. It is located near the top of the cover and accessed by removing one bolt that holds the key in place.

Peter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dsc00019a.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	448146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00017.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	448147

Very nicely done. I think I'm going to make a plan while the cover's off.

Well, this weekend was spent mostly under the bonnet of the Landy. The job is basically complete. I wanted to blog the progress in detail, posting handy little tips along the way. It turns out though, that the job is basically very straightforward.

Radiator: did not remove it at all. Removed the intercooler to flush it, but it was still clean and oil-free after 45 000 km.

Timing belt kit: when you buy the kit from LP4A, it contains the timing belt (Dayco), tensioner + new bolt, idler + new pin and nut, timing cover gasket (including the little round one) PLUS the crank sprocket! This for about R1400 IIRC. You should then also buy the crank seal, camshaft seal (probably less important?) and crank o-ring. This is really economical as far as modern cars and 4x4's go.

Useful hint I found elsewhere on the Internet: use a R380 gearbox reverse light switch as the flywheel locking "special tool", and a 9.5 mm drill bit for the injection pump locking "special tool". The beauty of the R380 switch, which makes this tool BETTER than the original, is that it's springloaded! - so you just fit it, turn the crank and CLICK! it all locks into place.

Hint: loosen the camshaft centre bolt before removing the cam belt, if you want to replace the seal.

Hint: the old crank sprocket, fitted "backwards", makes the perfect size tool for driving in the crankshaft seal. If you don't have anything else, it will also drive the camshaft oil seal halfway in (so you can at least get it straight before using something soft and flat to get it the rest of the way).

Hint: if you're neurotic like me, you can tension the belt, put radiator top hoses and intercooler hose back, then fit the old crankshaft sprocket on top of the new one, with the crank bolt, and fire everything up before you put the timing cover back on. That way, you can check for leaks around the new seals before putting it all back together.

Hint: I had to use copious amounts of engine cleaner and water to remove all the oil and shredded belt from the timing case at the front of the engine. If for any reason you have to do this, DON'T be a numbskull like me! - FIT THE old crank sprocket back first, as well as all the timing case bolts (or plug those holes). If for any reason I have to do this again, I'd prefer to use a solvent-based engine cleaner. I ended up getting water in my sump and having to suck it out from the bottom with a syringe. NOT CLEVER at all.

I noticed that my crank has been welded up near the end (probably had been messed up in the past due to an improperly fitted crank pulley). CHECK THIS carefully!

The timing cover is going on tomorrow afternoon - so should be back on the road soon!
    Last edited by antvz; 2017/06/04 at 09:58 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Hi Antz.
    I remember the many dramas you had after the purchase of Soki and I must say that short life from the timing belt is most disapointing. You may recall mine is a '97 300tdi and at 90000km. when I changed the belt the original was still like new. It did have though the stiffener bracket for the injection pump plus the counter bores where the tensioner pulleys are bolted on. The TB tension is critical, from memory 11N.m
    That the crank nose has been welded indicates a loose harmonic balancer in a previous life due to an inadequately torqued holding bolt. Very essential that this be done correctly.
    I drilled an inspection hole through the timing case front top l/h and tapped 3/8bsp for a brass plug. An occassional inspection shows the belt tracking nicely.
    At the moment we are having a winter bush camp here in ozz and after quite an absence logged on this am via mobile modem/tablet to read your story.
    All the best to you and much more enjoyment from your Disco
    boobook (Mike)
    Disco 1 300tdi 1997
    Land Cruiser hzj75 1997
    Landy trayback s111 1976

Thanks boobook

Luckily all those dramas are nicely in the past! Was NOT a good time for me! Thanks for the input - will keep it in mind. I will need to get an "upgrade" kit for the engine at some stage, since it seems I don't have those mods and that's why the belt is not tracking straight. For now, I'll just have to monitor it and hope for the best.

My makeshift crank locking tool.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1496775049540.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	449434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1496775065395.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	449435

17. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

And we have success! Managed to give it 80Nm +90 deg. Torque exceeded the 350 Nm max of my torque wrench, at about 70 deg.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post:

Well done glad it all went well for you

Thanks meh!

Based on the success of this very crudely home-made tool, I'm considering taking some time to do a proper job. The best would be some nice wide-diameter steel pipe, then thick steel plate with a 65 mm hole cut through. I'd also make some clear marks on the outside, say every 5 degrees.

I think if you know what you're doing and it's just a straight cam belt change, it can be done easily in a Saturday morning. The problem is that, with an old Disco, there is always a surprise.

I'm going to have to save up for a new front cover (R6000) since this is going to become scarce soon. I think mine is basically on its way out. Already 2 threads are stripped as well (found one bolt just loosely inserted already, and another one stripped as I tightened it - manual says 25 Nm and I was using a torque wrench).

Immediately noticeable was that a "whine" is absent now. Perhaps the tensioner or idler on the cam belt was on its way out.

It seems my aux drive belt tensioner is calling it quits. I did a variation on the "penny trick" since there was no stock for this item, but I'll replace it ASAP.

Now all that remains is to clean up all the mess. Most of the engine, and underside of the car, is covered with oil. I'll need a couple of hours with engine cleaner, scrubbing brush and toothbrush to get it all back to normal. Now there are only 4 more oil leaks to sort out - so we're making progress here!

On the stripped threads. Mine was only serviced by LR before I bought it and I have the same issues. I invested in 2 Recoil sets. I did one on the front cover and 2 on the cylinder head where the manifold bolts on. As drilling straight is a concern I made some jigs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161208_160813.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	449574   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161208_151251.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	449575   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161207_165003_001.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	449576  
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekindē)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

So is it running ?? Without squirting oil ??
    2004 Defender TD5
    1992 Defender 3.5V8
    PROJECT OVERHAUL http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...oject+overhaul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast