Question Petrol from Maun to Kasane

Hello everyone

In August I'll start a big trip from Johannesburg to Paris driving a Toyota LandCruiser 80series GX 4.5 petrol with roof tent.

As you can imagine, it is a very thirsty engine. I still have to establish the consumption, but in town it's around 27l/100km.

I have a long range tank (155l) + 2 jerry cans of 20L so almost 200 liters of petrol autonomy.

I'm a bit concerned for the part between Maun and Kasane where there's no fuel at all, I guess. We plan to go through South Gate - Magotho and Mwandi View before reaching Kasane.

What are your advices? And on an other topic: how are the road conditions usually in August in those areas?

Thanks a lot,

Pierre

Default Re: Petrol from Maun to Kasane

It would be good to figure out your consumption in thick sand so you can plan
    Defender 110
    Jurgens XT160

Tow a mini petrol tanker - u should make Kasane

Pierre, driven judiciously and with the correct sand technique that Cruiser can give you 4km/l or better between Maun and Kasane. Did it long time ago (1995) in V8 Landy with friends in 4.5 carb 80 Cruiser. With soft tyres, light foot and good technique we both got better than 4km/l, spent a week there (3rd bridge, Kwhai, Savuti, Linyanti) and ended with about 20 liters each out of ~200 liters each in Kasane, did near 800km in total.
    Similar through Kaudhum last year, same old V8 Landy, same friend this time with 4.5 79 Cruiser (fuel injected), similar results.
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

A question Ive been wondering alot about lately as well, so interested to see all the replies - we will be doing Kasane to Maun (Ihaha, Savuti, Moremi, Kwaai) in a Patrol 4.8.

My current plan is to take 6 jerrys with me, its probably overkill, but the last thing I want to be worrying about is running out of fuel!
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

I have the same vehicle and would recommend a good Tune up at least a month before your trip.
    Mine became heavy over a 4 year period and I was averaging around 5km per Litre on the open road and keeping to my 110km/h.

After having to replace the exhaust I did the free flow thing and had it put on a Dyno tune.
    The huge flat spot was gone and I get around 6.7km to the litre now.
    Offroad low range (Not thick sand) I was back around the 5.5km mark.

The RTT will affect it.
    With a previous double cab I had a wind deflector constructed from stainless steel in front of the RTT.
    Much like the fairings you see on the front of trucks which helped quite a bit.
    It didn't feel like I was fighting the wind resistance as much.
    If you get one built you could even make a space behind it for stashing some light goods.

Even though my fuel consumption gets sneered at, I get great pleasure from driving it.
    1996 : 80 Series Landcruiser 4500 GX SW

Thanks guys for your advices. It gives me hope, I was already about to consider going from Maun to Kasane through the tar road, missing the greatest part of Botswana....

I think I still can largely improve the fuel consumption and will anyway bring it to someone to nicely prepare it before the trip.

By the way, would you recommend a good mechanic to prepare overlanding cars in Joburg? Even after 4 years in Jozi (previously with a LandRover), it's still hard for me to find a trustworthy mech. As I just bought the LandCruiser, I'm looking for a good one for Toyotas.

Thanks again,

Pierre

I use Ralph at TOYO Service Centre.
    He has always done well with mine and came highly recommended.
    http://www.toyoservicecentre.co.za/
    1996 : 80 Series Landcruiser 4500 GX SW

Quote Originally Posted by LenArtman View Post
    I use Ralph at TOYO Service Centre.
    He has always done well with mine and came highly recommended.
    http://www.toyoservicecentre.co.za/
    Cool, thanks I'll contact him.

Pierre,
    There are two route that you can take,
    The Sand Ridge Road, or,
    The Marsh Road.
    The first one will be sandy and dry at this time of year and the 2nd one will be hard and bumpy from the dried out elephant and vehicle tracks having dried in the black cotton mud.
    Both are mostly slow, so without the speed you will have very little wind resistance from the Roof Top Tent, so this should not be a factor on most off road situations. Long tar roads will more likely effect this, where there are no communities living along these roads, unless you keep the speed down. Most roads tend to have 80km/h speed limits due to them being semi-built up, so this should not be too much of a concern to you...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to haboob For This Useful Post: