Road Tax





Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Road Tax

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    27
    Posts
    249
    Thanked: 359

    Default Road Tax

    When we entered Tanzania we got two months visa at immigration. At customs the guy completed our carnet and then we had to pay $25 for Road Tax or customs or something to do with the vehicle. We tried to pay with credit card, but it didn't work. We then paid cash, but they have to then transfer the money with M-pesa so that there is an official receipt number. All good to combat corruption. Unfortunately M-Pesa also didn't work, so he just wrote a note at the back of the invoice stating that we should be allowed to travel up to the 18th of May (only one month from entry), when we told him we wanted to stay two months like our visa states he just said it is separate things and if we want to stay longer we need to extend this thing that we had to pay for at another customs office.

    My question now is, do we need to actually extend this or can we just leave the country within the time stated in our passports? If they check the paper and the point of exit, can't we just pay there if it is indeed payable again?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Elarduspark
    Age
    35
    Posts
    332
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: Road Tax

    Where are you exiting? When we exit into Mozambique nobody checked any of our papers and I think our T.I.P. for Tanz is still laying on a desk at the border offices. But if caught along th route without all the right papers and permits you might get a fine.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    27
    Posts
    249
    Thanked: 359

    Default Re: Road Tax

    We haven't decided yet, but we're going to Kenya, so perhaps Namanga or Taveta. We have been stopped three times by the police, but they only ask for driver's licence. Didn't even check if we had insurance or anything.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Elarduspark
    Age
    35
    Posts
    332
    Thanked: 7

    Default Re: Road Tax

    We were asked for proof of insurance a couple of times. Most importantly, we had it when part of our tour were involved in a fatal pedestrain accident, so it is worthwhile to have it. As for the import tax, cant really see that they should have a problem, if they handwritten at the back of a receipt or something, surely it wont be difficult to alter the dates.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    27
    Posts
    249
    Thanked: 359

    Default Re: Road Tax

    Agreed, we do have insurance, we bought it for a year, since we are returning to Tanzania after Uganda. Thanks for the comments, also think the Road Tax shouldn't keep us from staying a few days longer.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    UK
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,365
    Thanked: 956

    Default Re: Road Tax

    If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about the foreign vehicle road tax and carbon tax. When you exit Tanzania, you may have have to pay the extra overstay.

    Also, if I were you, I would exit Tanzania/enter Kenya either through Namanga or Oloitokitok. I would avoid Taveta unless you want a long, nerve-wracking drive on the main Mombasa-Nairobi road. The last time we drove the Taveta-Voi road, it was a pretty rough dirt road.

    If you are interested in the First World War in East Africa ("The Battle for the Bundu"), then the Taveta area was a crucial - and mind-numblingly difficult - battleground. There is a War Cemetery at Taveta maintained beautifully by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. However, I would still go through Namanga (first choice), Oloitokitok (second choice particularly if going to Amboseli NP).

    Safari njema!

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    27
    Posts
    249
    Thanked: 359

    Default Re: Road Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about the foreign vehicle road tax and carbon tax. When you exit Tanzania, you may have have to pay the extra overstay.

    Also, if I were you, I would exit Tanzania/enter Kenya either through Namanga or Oloitokitok. I would avoid Taveta unless you want a long, nerve-wracking drive on the main Mombasa-Nairobi road. The last time we drove the Taveta-Voi road, it was a pretty rough dirt road.

    If you are interested in the First World War in East Africa ("The Battle for the Bundu"), then the Taveta area was a crucial - and mind-numblingly difficult - battleground. There is a War Cemetery at Taveta maintained beautifully by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. However, I would still go through Namanga (first choice), Oloitokitok (second choice particularly if going to Amboseli NP).

    Safari njema!
    Thanks for the advice. Is it possible to drive through Amboseli NP on the C103 without paying entrance fee, like driving through Mikumi in Tanzania. We're possibly meeting someone near Chuyulu Hills NP. Is it possible to reach it without driving on the A104 all the way to Nairobi and then down again and also without paying park entrance fees, or would one have to pay for Tsavo West to reach the A109?

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    UK
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,365
    Thanked: 956

    Default Re: Road Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by hugmin42 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Is it possible to drive through Amboseli NP on the C103 without paying entrance fee, like driving through Mikumi in Tanzania. We're possibly meeting someone near Chuyulu Hills NP. Is it possible to reach it without driving on the A104 all the way to Nairobi and then down again and also without paying park entrance fees, or would one have to pay for Tsavo West to reach the A109?
    I am currently in the very north of Scotland and don't have my Kenyan maps with me! So, I don't know the road numbers you are referring to. However, the road from Oloitokitok border post up to the main Mombasa-Nairobi road is a public road and does not go through either Amboseli NP or Tsavo West NP: therefore park fees are not payable. That is the way to go to the Chyulu Hills NP as the gate into the Chyulu Hills NP is near Kibwezi on the Mombasa-Nairobi road. You will have to pay park fees for Chyulu Hills NP at the gate near Kibwezi and be aware that the roads in this hilly park are rough and require low ratio 4x4.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    27
    Posts
    249
    Thanked: 359

    Default Re: Road Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    I am currently in the very north of Scotland and don't have my Kenyan maps with me! So, I don't know the road numbers you are referring to. However, the road from Oloitokitok border post up to the main Mombasa-Nairobi road is a public road and does not go through either Amboseli NP or Tsavo West NP: therefore park fees are not payable. That is the way to go to the Chyulu Hills NP as the gate into the Chyulu Hills NP is near Kibwezi on the Mombasa-Nairobi road. You will have to pay park fees for Chyulu Hills NP at the gate near Kibwezi and be aware that the roads in this hilly park are rough and require low ratio 4x4.
    Thanks, don't know how I missed it. It is the C102 that goes from Oloitokitok to the Mombasa-Nairobi road and like you say it doesn't pass through either of the parks. I assume it is a gravel road?

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanked: 2513

    Default Re: Road Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by hugmin42 View Post
    Thanks, don't know how I missed it. It is the C102 that goes from Oloitokitok to the Mombasa-Nairobi road and like you say it doesn't pass through either of the parks. I assume it is a gravel road?
    We traveled the C102 from Emali on the Mombasa-Nairobi road to Amboseli and it was good tar and I presume is like that all the way to Oloitokitok.

    If and when you arrive at Peponi Beach Resort please pass greetings onto Carys from Anne and [email protected] I presume she is still running the resort on behalf of her family.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    27
    Posts
    249
    Thanked: 359

    Default Re: Road Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    We traveled the C102 from Emali on the Mombasa-Nairobi road to Amboseli and it was good tar and I presume is like that all the way to Oloitokitok.

    If and when you arrive at Peponi Beach Resort please pass greetings onto Carys from Anne and [email protected] I presume she is still running the resort on behalf of her family.
    Thanks, that's good to know. Google Maps can be deceiving. We unfortunately already moved on to the Usambaras and are now in Moshi, but we did spend four nights at Peponi. Carys is there yes, very friendly people.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to hugmin42 For This Useful Post:


  14. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    UK
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,365
    Thanked: 956

    Default Re: Road Tax

    Quote Originally Posted by hugmin42 View Post
    Thanks, don't know how I missed it. It is the C102 that goes from Oloitokitok to the Mombasa-Nairobi road and like you say it doesn't pass through either of the parks. I assume it is a gravel road?
    The road is a good tar road all the way from Moshi through Oloitokitok to the main Nairobi-Mombasa road at Emali/Sultan Hamud.

    However, with all the rain there has been, I wouldn't even attempt trying to get into the Chyulu Hills NP. You won't get up the hills even in low ratio - or if you do, you might be there for some weeks... If you thought it was rough in the West Usambaras, the Chyulu Hills are in another more difficult - and rarely visited - league.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    27
    Posts
    249
    Thanked: 359

    Default Re: Road Tax

    Just to update this thread with what happened when we actually left Tanzania more than a month later.

    At the Tarakea border post the customs officer asked to see the Road Tax receipt. When he noticed that we have been in the country for more than a month he simply said that we needed to pay $20 (thus not the full $25 again), it didn't seem like an issue that we didn't get it 'extended' at some other point and that it is normal to just pay up at the border when you exit.

    We however had to drive back 2km to the NMB bank to do a direct deposit into the customs account as they don't accept cash at the border. Other border posts have a NMB branch inside the border building like at Rusumo Falls.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to hugmin42 For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •