Advice pls? Clean and Create for SA Idea?

Default Advice pls? Clean and Create for SA Idea?

Hi all. Please share your thoughts on my idea!

I would like to start a movement/company that offers to solve a few of our countries problems through waste management.

To create a system that collects household trash, sorts the trash(into processable categories) and creates products for multiple purposes.

That's the basic idea.

The goals I'm hoping to achieve provide a clearer picture of the business model.

From the start I would like to take our everyday bin scavengers who wait outside our homes to work. Any unsorted trash could possibly be sorted at the point of collection. Taking people off the street and giving them a means to live.

Take the sorted materials and sustainably manufacturer products for the community or to sell. These products can improve our way of life and the revenue the money which our unemployed can now earn.

A very basic idea and possibly not well thought out but my thoughts are that this is a win-win scenerio which should not fail if done right. Hopefully you feel the same.The benefit to me is that I can do something greater and make an entrepreneur of myself while I have a career . Better then sitting at a desk all day for someone else.

Any thoughts, ideas, advice and possibly support would be awesome.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Advice pls? Clean and Create for SA Idea?

Forget it, this have all been thought about and very few ideas works. Sorting on the pavement won't happen. If it is not sorted inside the house then it won't work. Bin pickers won't work. The only way to recycle plastics is to melt it and return it to the raw product. Trying to make something out of these thrown away things won't sell, it is still trash.

We have had 3 different companies go bust on us collecting separated waste (bottles, paper, cans and plastic) for recycling from our complex of 75 units , they can't make money out of it. Now it goes in the trolley bin.
    Birder

Honda CRV 2016
    Honda CRV 2006
    Swambo 1997 Toyota Corolla 1.3
    < 100k Km

Quote Originally Posted by KeganFinder View Post
    Hi all. Please share your thoughts on my idea!

I would like to start a movement/company that offers to solve a few of our countries problems through waste management.

To create a system that collects household trash, sorts the trash(into processable categories) and creates products for multiple purposes.

That's the basic idea.

The goals I'm hoping to achieve provide a clearer picture of the business model.

From the start I would like to take our everyday bin scavengers who wait outside our homes to work. Any unsorted trash could possibly be sorted at the point of collection. Taking people off the street and giving them a means to live.

Take the sorted materials and sustainably manufacturer products for the community or to sell. These products can improve our way of life and the revenue the money which our unemployed can now earn.

A very basic idea and possibly not well thought out but my thoughts are that this is a win-win scenerio which should not fail if done right. Hopefully you feel the same.The benefit to me is that I can do something greater and make an entrepreneur of myself while I have a career . Better then sitting at a desk all day for someone else.

Any thoughts, ideas, advice and possibly support would be awesome.

Thanks in advance
    Look into how san francisco is becoming zero waste. I believe they penalise or reward the businesses and households. I have thought about this not for a business just how we can become more green in general. We need to enforce a bin system,where you recycle in house,discarding into 3 different trash bins.

You are supplied with 3 small bins thats inside and 3big wheelie bins outside. They need to do a reward system where you can half your rates for recycling or get penalised,wil need to check how san francisco is doing it i have not yet looked into it this much. All plastics need to become biodegrable,plastic bags,food packaging etc etc it can easily go over to bio degradable packaging its not even that much more in costs.

Do you want to start this as a business or just to try and help society in general and possibly get government onboard a small project to test something similar like what i mentioned. Im always keen to bounce ideas around,always nice to see like minded people actually give a damn about concerning things that we know as society can be done better and to move to a more greener future.

The idea of sorting the trash from the household is not a new idea but I find that most of the public don't have the mentality or time to care for the idea. SA is 3rd world country where many are struggling to put food on the table nevermind categorizing rubbish. In the future this should be a norm though. I was hoping to solve the above issue and create jobs by creating our own sorting processes.

I would like to get government onboard. Not sure how much it helps but I hear it's the way to go.

My aim goes both ways. I see that some great products can be made through recycling and the model of making money from waste seems like a great entrepreneurial idea. Along side that I see benefits to the community, job creation, uplift the local areas as well as SA as a whole. It is an wasted resource so why noy

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Look into how san francisco is becoming zero waste. I believe they penalise or reward the businesses and households. I have thought about this not for a business just how we can become more green in general. We need to enforce a bin system,where you recycle in house,discarding into 3 different trash bins.

You are supplied with 3 small bins thats inside and 3big wheelie bins outside. They need to do a reward system where you can half your rates for recycling or get penalised,wil need to check how san francisco is doing it i have not yet looked into it this much. All plastics need to become biodegrable,plastic bags,food packaging etc etc it can easily go over to bio degradable packaging its not even that much more in costs.

Do you want to start this as a business or just to try and help society in general and possibly get government onboard a small project to test something similar like what i mentioned. Im always keen to bounce ideas around,always nice to see like minded people actually give a damn about concerning things that we know as society can be done better and to move to a more greener future.
    Sorry should've quoted above

I think as a Civic duty we should all be recycling but in reality it is a first world ideal and even then people are lazy and just throw everything into one bin. I personally think that the best way to create work and sort the refuse is to do it at the end ie the dump. I know in several countries this happens and there are many informal collectors here who camp out at the dumps. The challenge and possible opportunity is to find a way to turn them into a business and on sell from them. This will only be possible when virgin materials become more expensive or government mandates it and subsidizes it
    The rubbish collector that walks the streets makes enough to survive but not enough to sustain a business.

My suggestion to ratepayers was for households to drop their unwanted sellable waste like tin, steel, cardboard, paper etc off at designated recycling bins and the moneys used to pay for guards to patrol their neighborhood.

A few random comments:

1. Get the local authority to buy in, by giving you the contract ($s) to collect and dispose of waste.
      Without that capital injection, I don't think it will work.
    2. Make waste valuable.
      I drive through the rural Transkei on a regular basis. The populace collects any kind of steel, because it has value.
      They gather along the major roads with their little heaps of scrap steel, and some entrepreneur collects the scrap and pays them on the spot.
      If a skip full of waste had a intrinsic value, somebody might just fill it with waste to get paid.
    3. Forget the multi-bin concept.
      It only works in developed countries.
      Such a large percentage of our population lives in rural inaccessible areas, that the distribution and collection will not be economical viable.
      These people don't have transport to deposit the trash at 'depots' either.
    4. The percentage of waste generated by the middle class and the affluent portion of the population is negligible.
    5. Sorting and processing waste is capital and labour intensive.
      The furnaces with scrubbers to convert the combustible waste into fuel is eg very expensive.
    6. One disposal system which might work is one where the toxic matter is removed and the rest ground to a fine mulch which is then converted into compost.
      (Finely ground plastics form 'fillers' which improve the texture of the compost).
      I recall seeing such a plant in Gauteng many years ago.

Nice idea!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Bin-scavengers only want to make enough for their next batch of tik or nyaupe or cheap wine, they don't want REAL jobs. They'll be there for one day and be gone the rest of the week.

If your employment model can work on this part-time, ad-hoc employment system, then you have a small chance.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Abundance Recycling are already doing this - you pay them a monthly fee, they collect weekly and deliver the material to Oasis (which employs mentally challenged staff) who sort the material. Perhaps have a look at the areas they don't cover - http://www.abundancerecycling.co.za/Collection-Days/
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.