Wild Coast Transkei - Fuel availability

Question Wild Coast Transkei - Fuel availability

We are taking the 2003 Prado 120 TX on a trip to the Wild Coast later this month. It will just be SWAMBO & myself.
    We are travelling from Cape Town & will overnight in PE, then East London before getting to Hluleka for 3 nights.
    From Hluleka, to Mdumbi for a night and then to Hole in the Wall for a few nights before going to eMambabala (Kob Inn area near Willowvale) for another few nights.

I am hoping to keep as close to the coast as possible using the dirt roads as i make my way down. My concern however is that the Prado is a thirsty V6 (6.1km/l average is what i get) wth a small tank (87 litres i think) and I'm not sure what fuel availability is like along the dirt roads. I believe there is a filling station about 20kms from Coffee Bay.

Has anyone driven any of this route recently?
    Is there fuel available anywhere else along this route i.e between Hluleka and Coffee Bay & between Kob Inn and the Kei Crossing? I remember there is a filling station close to the Ferry crossing.
    I will get the Slingsby Map this weekend.

Any other tips, road conditions,etc would be most welcome.
    Thanks!
    2003 Prado 120 TX (imported)
    2005 Rav4 3dr
    1996 Rav4 3dr

Default Wild Coast Transkei - Fuel availability

If you planned everything on tracks 4 Africa like I did, I'd recommend you make back up routes just in case. Most roads that show on tracks 4 Africa are well over grown and can't be seen. Some have had heavy corrosion and other also have branches over the trail. So if you love your paint work. You might have a hard time. Remember your permits and don't drive on open land unless you on a road or some kind of path. I'd also take a big bag of fizzers or lollipops as the local kids will help you if you need it but they not shy to shout out sweets
    We had awesome fun with the local kids over school holidays. They know heaps of info and all the trails.

I'd also say take extra petrol with just in case. It's cheap insurance if you traveling alone. Even if it's a 25L container form west pack.

Kei still has that one garage, take a extra fuel filter with. I only filled up with diesel with them, I did not get any water but the fuel was dirty. So I'm sure the petrol is the same.
    Last edited by Garreth G; 2017/05/04 at 10:52 PM.
    2010 Toyota Fortuner 2 4x4.
    2001 Isuzu KB320 Frontier 4x4.
    2012 Polo GT White with community sticker.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garreth G For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Wild Coast Transkei - Fuel availability

Hi
    Sorry to digress your thread, but what's the story with your Prado? Is it an import? Please post some pics?
    Other than that, beautiful part of the country, Hluleka and Mboti are excellent, enjoy your trip. Oh yes, and there is a petrol station at Kei Mond.
    Ockert
    Toyota Prado 120 4.0VX

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OJ-K For This Useful Post:

Question Re: Wild Coast Transkei - Fuel availability

Quote Originally Posted by Garreth G View Post
    If you planned everything on tracks 4 Africa like I did, I'd recommend you make back up routes just in case. Most roads that show on tracks 4 Africa are well over grown and can't be seen. Some have had heavy corrosion and other also have branches over the trail. So if you love your paint work. You might have a hard time. Remember your permits and don't drive on open land unless you on a road or some kind of path. I'd also take a big bag of fizzers or lollipops as the local kids will help you if you need it but they not shy to shout out sweets
    We had awesome fun with the local kids over school holidays. They know heaps of info and all the trails.

I'd also say take extra petrol with just in case. It's cheap insurance if you traveling alone. Even if it's a 25L container form west pack.

Kei still has that one garage, take a extra fuel filter with. I only filled up with diesel with them, I did not get any water but the fuel was dirty. So I'm sure the petrol is the same.

Thanks Garreth! I have been looking at T4A on the web & will plot out some routes. However, my plan is exactly as you have suggested - talk to the locals and see if they can help guide us as we go along. We have always taken fizzers, lollipops, school stationary, etc with when we have travelled to the Wild Coast and they do make the kids very happy!
    Its just that we have never really used the coastal tracks before. Its always off the tar to the accommodation and back. Now that i have the Prado, its time to get adventurous!

I have a 25l jerry can for petrol but the thought of driving with the petrol smell in my car nauseates me (i don't have a roof rack or a tow bar so I'm not sure how i can fix this jerry can to the outside of the vehicle). Maybe i have no choice but to drive with it in the car!
    2005 Rav4 3dr
    1996 Rav4 3dr

Quote Originally Posted by OJ-K View Post
    Hi
    Sorry to digress your thread, but what's the story with your Prado? Is it an import? Please post some pics?
    Other than that, beautiful part of the country, Hluleka and Mboti are excellent, enjoy your trip. Oh yes, and there is a petrol station at Kei Mond.
    Hi Ockert
    The Prado is a 2003 model that was imported from Japan into Rwanda by a SA diplomat. He then drove it to SA some years later when he came back home. I bought it in September last year. Unlike the VX models sold here, it has only 1 fuel tank and it is a 3.4 litre V6. It has done just over 150000kms and is now die for its timing belt change!
    It has a Japanese touch screen and even speaks to me in Japanese! I need to figure out how to do a software change to make it English!
    Let me try to figure out how to upload some pics & i will do so.
    Last edited by fh-cpt; 2017/05/05 at 11:27 AM.
    2005 Rav4 3dr
    1996 Rav4 3dr

Here are some pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5805.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	445335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2922.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	445340Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2550.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	445338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2193.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	445337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2938.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	445336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5811.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	445342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2192.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	445341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2934.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	445339
    2005 Rav4 3dr
    1996 Rav4 3dr

That is quite interesting. I wonder what is underneath in the space usually occupied by the second petrol tank. Ja, on these ones 80l of petrol won't bring you far...

Wonder if that radio was shipped to other parts as well and if the language can be changed. Might just be easier to just replace with a nice doubledin unit?

Thanks for the pics.

O yes, have you checked T4A's map on their website? I think there you can see petrol stations as well and get an idea of how few and far between they will be.
    Ockert
    Toyota Prado 120 4.0VX

Quote Originally Posted by fh-cpt View Post
    It has a Japanese touch screen and even speaks to me in Japanese! I need to figure out how to do a software change to make it English!
    Hi
    Try to download the Google Translate app - it lets you translate images :-)
    I checked quickly and the bottom left button says "Previous map".
    Guillaume
    Guillaume
    Fortuner Epic 4.0 V6 AT

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guillaume For This Useful Post: