Serengeti Advice

Default Serengeti Advice

We didn't initially plan for it, but are considering visiting the Serengeti. We can 'justify' about 3/4 days as a belated birthday gift for me and an early birthday gift for Caro.

My preliminary research seems to suggest that coming from Arusha one has to pass the NCA and also pay the normal 24 hour fee.

One then heads to Seronera. And from there goes to either public or special campsites towards the North and West.

We would probably be able to do 1 night at a special campsite (Kira Wira?) and then two in public campsites (close to Seronera and perhaps towards the North).

Question time:
    Since we have to drive through NCA (not sure about alternatives) is it worth it to also camp in the NCA on the crater rim (Simba campsite) or can one just drive straight through?

Will two/three days in Serengeti then be enough to just get a small sense of what it is all about? We still have 40 years to save up for another visit.

How does the booking process work? Do we just go to the office in Arusha and hope they have campsites available? This would be middle of May.

Since we are heading to Nairobi is there a way to avoid having to exit through NCA again?

Is August/September perhaps a better time to visit after we've been to Uganda and Rwanda, coming from the West. Coming from the West where would one book/pay the entrance and camping fees?

P.S. I read Stan and Anne's blog and Webster's trip report of their visit to the Serengeti over Christmas. Both stayed six days in the Seregeti, but we won't be able to afford that, so just wondering if 3 days is going to be a waste or still worth it.

Default Re: Serengeti Advice

The Serengeti is worth the journey, but, hopefully, "the Serengeti shall not die" (to quote Bernhard Grizmek) and you will have another chance to see its wonders in the next 40 years. Therefore, my advice is not to attempt a short, fast trip through the Ngorongoro (which is also very much worth the journey) and the Serengeti bearing in mind your finances and the problems you have had with your suspension and back axle.

Why not go to the unsung jewel in the Northern Tanzania safari circuit and go to Tarangire National Park instead as your safari treat? Tarangire is rightly called the "mini Serengeti". It is much easier to get to and you can spend more time doing game drives than dealing with bureaucracy and paying park fees, and busting a gut to get to Seronera on the appalling roads in the Serengeti.

But if you do decide to attempt to get to the Serengeti, then be aware that there is a new payment system in place for the Ngorongoro Conservation Area. See below:

http://www.ngorongorocrater.go.tz/in...-february-2017

It is possible if you camp or stay at Mto wa Mbu or Karatu and have paid your park fees etc for the NCA beforehand to get to Seronera in the Serengeti NP in a long hard day's drive. If you didn't want to come back from the Serengeti through the Ngorongoro en route to Nairobi, you could exit the Serengeti through the Western Corridor to Ndabaka Gate and then turn north towards Kenya exiting TZ at Sirari. You will need to plan carefully your distances, timings, where you are going to stay etc very carefully. We have done this route from and to Nairobi. We took two days to do it last time.

Safari njema and looking forward to your next blog post.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

To confirm... We took two days to go from Musoma (which is the town some distance north of Ndabaka gate) to Nairobi. It is probably possible to drive from a campsite in the Western Corridor of the Serengeti NP to Nairobi in two long days, but add on an extra day if coming from the Seronera or Lobo areas of the Serengeti NP. And plan where you are going to stay - and definitely do not drive in the dark!

WW gave you best advice, as usual. I know how tempting it must be, to visit one of Africa's most famous park, being so close to it. However, three nights is simply not worth it, IMHO. Not because you will not have fantastic animal sightings (those are practically guaranteed), but because logistics for Serengeti are so darn complicated. And you will spend alost same time on the (in some parts horrendous) road comming to/from the park as within the park. Leave Serengeti (and Ngorongoro crater) for another visit and rather spend 3 or 4 days in Tarangire. You will love it, I'm sure. Or even combine it with Lake Manyara NP, if you have time (say, 3 nights Tarangire, one night Manyara. They are both only couple of hours drive from Arusha on excelent roads and both can be paid for at the gates.

Enjoy your adventure further!
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Oh, one more thing (and this is pure speculation from my side, ignore it if it is not relevant):

You were mentioning you play with the idea of affording a gorilla tracking during your stay in Uganda. I think you've already missed the low season rates for gorillas, but if you are by any chance weighting between gorillas and visiting Serengeti, I would choose gorillas. Even with normal rates, buying gorillas permits will come very close to what you would pay for spending 3 nights in Serengeti (paying for traversing NCA twice, Serengeti entrance fees, car fees, campsites, plus VAT on top of all that will come close to 600$ per person, probably even more).

Of course, if you can afford both, go for it both (but reconsider strongly the idea of swapping Serengeti for Tarangire).

Safari njema!
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Thank you WW and ortelius for the excellent advice.

We are indeed still considering the Gorillas, so I agree that we should perhaps first do that and then if we still have something left reconsider the Serengeti from the West on our return journey. Or better yet save up for a proper visit to the Serengeti sometime in the future. By which time the Tanzanian government has hopefully realised that they need to look after the roads in their National Parks. We'll also look at the option to spend a night in Manyara or Tarangire.

Kingsley Holgate also suggested the Sirari border post to us and exploring that area next to Lake Victoria, but that will probably also need to wait for another trip as we're going via Dar Es Salaam and Arusha and then Nairobi, Uganda, Rwanda.

I agree with the excellent advice given by W.W. and Ortelius. Do the gorillas and Tarangira/Lake Manyara and stay in their public campsites. When in Kenya later perhaps you can camp outside the Masai Mara and do some day trips into it and save money that way.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Hugo I can only echo the advice that the old hands have given here to avoid a quick dash in and out via NCA. As tempting as it sounds I think you'll just end up feeling rushed and frustrated (And this from the queens of dash!). Strongly second the Tarangire suggestion - we wish we'd spent longer there.
    Keeping an eye on your blog - looking fwd to the next instalment

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Webster For This Useful Post: