Jeep Wrangler JKU's - high KM, suggestions, tips etc....

Default Jeep Wrangler JKU's - high KM, suggestions, tips etc....

Hi Jeepers

I'm curious to hear from those on the forum who drive the Wrangler 3.6 V6 models (Sahara or Rubicon).

Perhaps a few posts on mileage and suggestions / advice on what quirks to expect from my Jeep.. any reliability issues.
    I'm hoping to drive this one for a long time.
    I drive a 2013 JKU Sahara, 66000km, NO issues so far.
    Done a few trips on which my poor Jeep took a real beating on some really bad roads (most recent Maun to South Gate turnoff has terrible corrugation at the moment), are there any suggestions from your experience on what to look out for or to keep an eye on?

Any recommendations on:
    - which spare parts I should take along on a long overlanding trip
    - useful tools / special tools to take along other than the obvious
    - any tips on practical JKU modifications
    - etc.

To date I've put on some decent tires (BF's) and did an OME full suspension upgrade, plus all the usual overlanding stuff.

OK that's a lot of questions.. I'll be very grateful for your advice on some of these.

THANKS
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Unlimited

Default Re: Jeep Wrangler JKU's - high KM, suggestions, tips etc....

I know Jelo had issues with his radiator. Might be something to keep an eye on over time.
    There was also a chafing rubber pipe that Apoc posted about, but I cannot remember the exact details. (Reminder to self - go find it and check it out... )

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dph For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dph View Post
    I know Jelo had issues with his radiator. Might be something to keep an eye on over time.
    There was also a chafing rubber pipe that Apoc posted about, but I cannot remember the exact details. (Reminder to self - go find it and check it out... )
    Thanks, I'll try to find the rubber pipe issue..

Something I encountered on my last trip..
    After a lot of water and mud pit crossings I picked up a disturbing engine vibration. After some inspection I found that the cavities on the fan were filled with mud which threw the rotation off balance. I ran the engine and forcefully squirted water from a "pump" water bottle onto the fan which dislodged the mud, after which the vibration disappeared.

Hello,

Rubber pipe gear oil cooler & clock spring are Jeep recalls, ought to be done free of charge by Jeep.

see : http://www.jeepproblems.com/recalls/Wrangler/2013/

exhaust air lift ; http://www.takla.co.za/products/takla-air-jacks/

I recommend an auxiliary fuel tank, have mine from Maniac in CT ; http://maniac4x4.co.za/products/#Jeep/Wrangler JK Products/Extra Fuel

Have installed a safety cargo net behind the seats, to keep the stuff in the back.

Safe travel

I have a water tank in the rear tool cavity with pump mounted behind rear bumper, table on the inside of the tailgate, fridge slide mounted on the floor to be able to reach inside on 37s, ARB compressor under passenger seat to pump tyres, rubber strap on dash for loose stuff like portable radios, storage pockets on door handles for additional storage, cargo rack in the back and a removable drawer system. Mine is the 3.8 - I moved the sub onto the wheel arch. Lighter sockets in the left rear corner. Next mod is lighter/fridge sockets just behind the rear door latches - out of the way and easy to reach. Also have step that hooks to tyre to reach stuff on roof rack. Also made a sparewheel carrier that opens with tailgate - no seperate catches.

Front number plate release with wingnut to use winch.
    JK CRD
    Willys CJ2a
    Yamaha YZ250

Mine is on 96000km now (2012 Sahara 3.6). Problems thus far - leak on water pump housing, Starter needed to be replaced, heated seats elements needed replacing.

Recalls was for the clockspring and the airbag module or something. The simple modification i did was on the bonnet lining which gets sucked by the air intake. I just cut that piece of lining out. The other problem is the Camshaft position sensor which causes the jeep to go into limp mode at times. For me this only happens when towing a trailer. I was told the problem is with the harness. I never sorted it out yet. When it happens, I pull over to the side, switch off and start again and all is fine

And thats it. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with my Jeep

When does a guy in Ermelo use heated seats?

Quote Originally Posted by ans View Post
    Mine is on 96000km now (2012 Sahara 3.6). Problems thus far - leak on water pump housing, Starter needed to be replaced, heated seats elements needed replacing.

Recalls was for the clockspring and the airbag module or something. The simple modification i did was on the bonnet lining which gets sucked by the air intake. I just cut that piece of lining out. The other problem is the Camshaft position sensor which causes the jeep to go into limp mode at times. For me this only happens when towing a trailer. I was told the problem is with the harness. I never sorted it out yet. When it happens, I pull over to the side, switch off and start again and all is fine

And thats it. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with my Jeep

Hahaha. You should feel it here this morning

My water pump is being replaced at the next service for the same reason. I've fitted a snorkel, so thats sorted too.
    Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlash657 View Post
    I have a water tank in the rear tool cavity with pump mounted behind rear bumper, table on the inside of the tailgate, fridge slide mounted on the floor to be able to reach inside on 37s, ARB compressor under passenger seat to pump tyres, rubber strap on dash for loose stuff like portable radios, storage pockets on door handles for additional storage, cargo rack in the back and a removable drawer system. Mine is the 3.8 - I moved the sub onto the wheel arch. Lighter sockets in the left rear corner. Next mod is lighter/fridge sockets just behind the rear door latches - out of the way and easy to reach. Also have step that hooks to tyre to reach stuff on roof rack. Also made a sparewheel carrier that opens with tailgate - no seperate catches.

Front number plate release with wingnut to use winch.
    Done the table on the tailgate, such a useful addition. Also the cargo rack and slider for the fridge.
    Your tyre step ladder and dash strap sounds like a very practical solution, can you post i pic please?
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Slainte View Post
    Hello,

Rubber pipe gear oil cooler & clock spring are Jeep recalls, ought to be done free of charge by Jeep.

see : http://www.jeepproblems.com/recalls/Wrangler/2013/

exhaust air lift ; http://www.takla.co.za/products/takla-air-jacks/

I recommend an auxiliary fuel tank, have mine from Maniac in CT ; http://maniac4x4.co.za/products/#Jeep/Wrangler JK Products/Extra Fuel

Have installed a safety cargo net behind the seats, to keep the stuff in the back.

Safe travel
    I've checked out the recall which Ill take up with the dealer.
    Also bought an air jack which is a great tool. Next mod will be the auxiliary tank.
    Where did you get your cargo net from?
    Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

Cargo net = http://www.tauro.co.za/wp-content/up...r-4D-Large.jpg

They also have winch blankets , winch line extensions, shackles etc. for a good price and shipping for a 100.- flat rate ,very fast.

Very happy with their service.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Slainte For This Useful Post:

It seems the 2012 as the first 3.6 might have had radiator issues. These should show up inside 100,000km. But just keep an eye on any coolant loss and any visible dribbling out of the radiator tanks which are plastic and seem prone to heat / vibration fatigue.

No issues since the rad was replaced under warranty. There is also a harness issue with the cam position sensor: that is a quick fix but Jeep doesn't really cover wear & tear on the harness under the warranty, but they will replace the sensor I think.

Other than that, suspension rubbers seems to last about 80,000km if driven energetically on dirt roads.........which is fair I suppose.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Are you guys actually using your Jeeps

Mine is almost on 170000km now.

Issues so far

Starter motor
    Radiator hose rubbing on steering box
    Water pump housing cracked
    Wiring harness on top of motor partially replaced. I think the heat degrades the wires or connectors (R800 excl labour)
    Recall still to be completed as nobody seems to have parts EVER

Under maintenance plan brake pads never made 30000km afterwards now they seem to last much longer

I expected lots of issues and an absolute nightmare but it really impressed me thus far. Love my Jeep but it unfortunately has to go soon due to change in needs but I won't be worried buying an higher mileage 3.6 Pentastar if looked after. Mine has been an absolute joy to own
    2016 Ford Ranger 3.2 Wildtrak
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT
    2012 Jeep Rubicon (Sold)
    2008 Discovery V8 (Sold)
    1961 Series ll 88" (Sold)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Inkanyamba For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Inkanyamba View Post
    Are you guys actually using your Jeeps

Mine is almost on 170000km now.
    165,000km on our JKUS and I'd easily buy another one. What a please compared to the WJ we had.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post: