Hilux bad towing performance in Car bakkie shootout - is it this bad? - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Hilux bad towing performance in Car bakkie shootout - is it this bad?

The Car magazines are forever bashing toyotas and it's always this way and that way. I have owned a 3.0 D4D 4x4 and now the new 2.8 Auto 4X4. To put it simply, there is no comparison when it comes to power and drive comfort. Towing is the same, and I am not talking venter trailers. I towed cattle trailers and Ski-boats and that is a fair test in my opinion.

I currently tow a Double axle ski boat at nearly 3.0 tons and there is ample power. In fact if I don't watch myself I will cruise at 130km/h easily on flat roads. It tows at 110km/hr comfortably and there is always power left over to easily overtake. The vehicle is very stable at this speed and braking very good. I tow in 4th and sometimes in 5th Gear on a flat and also use power mode. It is what Toyota recommends and you can definately feel a difference in power as well as fuel economy. Towing this rig gives me around 5,8-6,0km/lt which is fair for this weight.

The figures quoted in that test are absolute rubbish regarding the acceleration etc, perhaps the chap forgot to take the park brake off on the trailer. I will accelerate faster than those quoted figures and that is with a 3ton boat behind.

My father recently towed my boat for me over 500km with the 2.8 and then towed it with his 3.0D4D for 200km and he couldn't believe how it towed compared to his D4D. That Auto box is amazing and it is very smooth. The Low range is a proper low range and it handles sand like a dream, engage diff lock and it's a beast!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HooknCook For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Hilux bad towing performance in Car bakkie shootout - is it this bad?

I have had plenty 3.0D4d chipped and unchipped.
    We have a 2.8FT and 2.8 single cab GD6 as well as v8, I can honestly tell you the 2.8 has zero issues towing 3.5ton trailers.
    End of story
    '16 Toyota Land Cruiser D/C v8
    '15 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D

All the power in the world is useless if you don't have a proper chassis to deal with 3 tonnes pushing you about!

Towing over 3 tonnes above 100km/h with a bakkie is seriously dangerous and negligent imho.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Its not that the hilux is bad. Some vehicles , like it this case has better inline performance. I would have looked at breaking, and then acceleration from 0 to 60, 80, 100 and 120.

Driveability is not only performance. Drove a rx 3 rotor mazda, man it had power from 6000-15000rpm. Other than that it was totally undriveable on a public road. Same principal.

Can it stop. Is it comfortable. Does it handle with a caravan etc etc
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by HooknCook View Post
    The Car magazines are forever bashing toyota's ...No they don't. In fact the other way round... there is no comparison when it comes to power and drive comfort. Compared to what?

The figures quoted in that test are absolute rubbish regarding the acceleration etc, perhaps the chap forgot to take the park brake off on the trailer. I will accelerate faster than those quoted figures and that is with a 3ton boat behind.Really?
    I have found Car to be very biased towards Toyota. Then I don't understand your other 2 comments.
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Engel For This Useful Post:

The Car magazines are forever bashing toyotas and it's always this way and that way. I have owned a 3.0 D4D 4x4 and now the new 2.8 Auto 4X4. To put it simply, there is no comparison when it comes to power and drive comfort. Towing is the same, and I am not talking venter trailers. I towed cattle trailers and Ski-boats and that is a fair test in my opinion.

I currently tow a Double axle ski boat at nearly 3.0 tons and there is ample power. In fact if I don't watch myself I will cruise at 130km/h easily on flat roads. It tows at 110km/hr comfortably and there is always power left over to easily overtake. The vehicle is very stable at this speed and braking very good. I tow in 4th and sometimes in 5th Gear on a flat and also use power mode. It is what Toyota recommends and you can definately feel a difference in power as well as fuel economy. Towing this rig gives me around 5,8-6,0km/lt which is fair for this weight.

The figures quoted in that test are absolute rubbish regarding the acceleration etc, perhaps the chap forgot to take the park brake off on the trailer. I will accelerate faster than those quoted figures and that is with a 3ton boat behind.

My father recently towed my boat for me over 500km with the 2.8 and then towed it with his 3.0D4D for 200km and he couldn't believe how it towed compared to his D4D. That Auto box is amazing and it is very smooth. The Low range is a proper low range and it handles sand like a dream, engage diff lock and it's a beast!!
    What else have you driven to compare the 3.0 and 2.8 that you have owned?Just asking as you say nothing compares?

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Its not that the hilux is bad. Some vehicles , like it this case has better inline performance. I would have looked at breaking, and then acceleration from 0 to 60, 80, 100 and 120.

Driveability is not only performance. Drove a rx 3 rotor mazda, man it had power from 6000-15000rpm. Other than that it was totally undriveable on a public road. Same principal.

Can it stop. Is it comfortable. Does it handle with a caravan etc etc

Stop defending the Hilux. Towing performance is bad. Imagine how bad the results would have been if they included drivability, acceleration and braking.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Stop defending the Hilux. Towing performance is bad. Imagine how bad the results would have been if they included drivability, acceleration and braking.
    I can feel the tingle begin, rub it in rub in. Billy Crash Cradock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    What else have you driven to compare the 3.0 and 2.8 that you have owned?Just asking as you say nothing compares?
    First of all, read what I said carefully, the comparison is between the 2.8 and 3.0 D4D. With regards to towing experience, I have grown up on farms, towing with old 2.8 Hilux, 2.6lt Mazda, 3.0 V6 Mazda, 3.0 Ford, 2.7lt Hilux, 3.0 Hilux, 4.2lt/4.5lt and 4.5 V8 Land cruisers etc. If you think that hooking a venter trailer is the way to do a test, then that's your opinion and believe what you read! The new Hilux is a very capable tow vehicle and for what the average person tows it is more than sufficient. If you have the extra money, undoubtedly the tow vehicle I would look at would be a Land Cruiser GX200 4.5lt V8 or the Double Cab Cruiser. But for normal driving the DC is not very comfortable.

MariusFourie, since when is the Chassis not designed for 3 tons? The new Hilux can tow 3.5 tons, hence why I have one and a trailer fitted with the correct brakes which is what is required. Speed as quoted was a warning, before you know it you reach 130km/hr.....I tow at 100-110 comfortably and have power to overtake if needed! You cannot blame a vehicle for poor braking when the trailer isn't brakes with a legal system. So you then basically saying that a Horse with a 35ton trailer has bad braking, come on, the trailer has to have the correct legal brakes as well!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HooknCook For This Useful Post:

First of all, read what I said carefully, the comparison is between the 2.8 and 3.0 D4D. With regards to towing experience, I have grown up on farms, towing with old 2.8 Hilux, 2.6lt Mazda, 3.0 V6 Mazda, 3.0 Ford, 2.7lt Hilux, 3.0 Hilux, 4.2lt/4.5lt and 4.5 V8 Land cruisers etc. If you think that hooking a venter trailer is the way to do a test, then that's your opinion and believe what you read! The new Hilux is a very capable tow vehicle and for what the average person tows it is more than sufficient. If you have the extra money, undoubtedly the tow vehicle I would look at would be a Land Cruiser GX200 4.5lt V8 or the Double Cab Cruiser. But for normal driving the DC is not very comfortable.

MariusFourie, since when is the Chassis not designed for 3 tons? The new Hilux can tow 3.5 tons, hence why I have one and a trailer fitted with the correct brakes which is what is required. Speed as quoted was a warning, before you know it you reach 130km/hr.....I tow at 100-110 comfortably and have power to overtake if needed! You cannot blame a vehicle for poor braking when the trailer isn't brakes with a legal system. So you then basically saying that a Horse with a 35ton trailer has bad braking, come on, the trailer has to have the correct legal brakes as well!!
    I do not think anybody said the Hilux is a bad towing vehicle. It's acceleration with a caravan in tow was just the worst of the bakkies tested. If the dame road/caravan/driver was used you csnnot blame the magazine if the results showed it was the slowest
    Jacques Jansen
    4 x4: 5.7 Hemi Commander
    Platkar: Amarok

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeep Fan For This Useful Post:

I wasnt being sarcastic or rude in my question.i was asking what else you towed wigh to compare..a ranger..navara..isuzu?i dont tow beavy so that test to me is meaningless.

if your reference to good vehicles are only toyotas.......
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    if your reference to good vehicles are only toyotas.......
    Never let the facts interfere with a good story.........

When Car publishes something complimentary about a Toyota then it's bias. When they publish something bad about it, it's gospel.

{shrug}

Anyone notice that the Ranger outsold the Hilux in April? May Day present, okes can get it out of their systems.
    Love your neighbour. Thatís about it, itíll be the world we want.

Can't see why people get so upset about it. If you follow the test here and in Aus over the last couple of years the Hilux only comes out tops a few times. Think if you combine al the test of different people the Amarok won the most with it smalest engine. Overall the Hilux is a good package like most other ldv's. If they do a test on handling it also not going to win. If they do test on overlanding it will win. Now why are the Amarok sales not there, because they only cater for the leisure market . Old storie buy wat you want en can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjo View Post
    Can't see why people get so upset about it. If you follow the test here and in Aus over the last couple of years the Hilux only comes out tops a few times. Think if you combine al the test of different people the Amarok won the most with it smalest engine. Overall the Hilux is a good package like most other ldv's. If they do a test on handling it also not going to win. If they do test on overlanding it will win. Now why are the Amarok sales not there, because they only cater for the leisure market . Old storie buy wat you want en can afford.
    Not upset, bemused when the usual suspects get on their bicycles.

If if I had to buy a DC now, which I won't, it would be between the Ranger and the Isuzu. I prefer the Isuzu looks. The Rok doesn't enter the picture because it's a little bit like an American movie star. It's not got any obvious faults but it doesn't stir the heart either. Like a cold glass of water on a hot day it helps the thirst but will never compare to a cold beer ...
    Love your neighbour. Thatís about it, itíll be the world we want.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    Not upset, bemused when the usual suspects get on their bicycles.

If if I had to buy a DC now, which I won't, it would be between the Ranger and the Isuzu. I prefer the Isuzu looks. The Rok doesn't enter the picture because it's a little bit like an American movie star. It's not got any obvious faults but it doesn't stir the heart either. Like a cold glass of water on a hot day it helps the thirst but will never compare to a cold beer ...
    And who are the usual suspects??
    FJC - Just Cruising

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    And who are the usual suspects??
    Seker Jy

Miskien, maar nerens op n fiets
    FJC - Just Cruising

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Wat beteken "herding cats"......??
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast