Posroete - Postal Route east to west - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Posroete - Postal Route east to west

That LR without diff lock video is hilarious yet sad in so many ways!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Did the route last Wednesday.
    It was great but not for the faint hearted in some places.
    In the bush for another few weeks.
    Will post report when back home.
    Fortuner D4D
    Jurgens XCAPE

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

I did this route in 2009 and again in 2010 before I left SA to come and live in Nam.

Johan
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2016 Isuzu KB300 Ext Cab 4x4

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Snyman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    That LR without diff lock video is hilarious yet sad in so many ways!
    Concerning part is they about 100m from a demon hairpin that leads one through a narrow cutting through rock. Would love to see how they managed that part

We camped at Enjo in the Biedouw Valley last week/weekend and decided to do the Postal Route on Friday. We drove down to the Doring river (bone dry) and missed the route that goes more directly to the start of the route, ending up on the R355. By the time we got to the farm at the start of the route, we've driven 100 km and not come across a single other vehicle. Thanks to Johan's map and my (ancient) Garmin, we found the right track - it will be easy to get lost without it. The tracks were clearly not often used.

We stopped for lunch on a large flat rock in a river bed (the one in Johan's photo) which worked well to get away from a nasty westerly wind. I told my wife we're maybe the first people here in two weeks and may be the only people for another two weeks. 15 minutes later 10 bikers came from the other side on their way to the Tankwa!

We continued the rest of the route is a leisurely fashion and stopped to enjoy it when we can and were back at Enjo at 16:00. There were another 4 bikers at the westerly end on their way in when we got there and I'm sure they must've done a part of it in the dark.

The route consists of two parts. The 20km on the west is a fair gravel road and one can make up some time if necessary. The 40km on the east is a lot rougher and either rocky or loose sand. I made use of low range in places just for slow speed control. The route itself shouldn't cause damage to a vehicle but it is a little bit overgrown at the Doring river. Is it possible to do it with a trailer or caravan? I think so yes, but it will take much longer as you'll have to keep your speed down for long sections. There is also one tight corner that you'll have to get right to make it. That said, spending a night in the middle of the route somewhere must be a real experience!

I will be back and hopefully on the bike next time! Thanks Johan for the inspiration!

We decided to drive back to Cape Town via Wuppertal and Eselbank. My main concern was traffic from the front going up the pass from Wuppertal but we were lucky. With caravan in tow, it was slow going for the most part, often down to low range. I thought the road from Eselbank would improve but it only really got better when we got to Matjiesrivier. That said, it is such a scenic drive, I'm very glad we did it!
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Musashi For This Useful Post:

This post is so inspiring (not the LR being stuck part).

We have booked to stay at Enjo 22 - 25 June 2018. Depending on how much, or how little, rain has fell we will be do this route. We stayed at Enjo around the same time in 2016 and everything was still pretty dryish so fingers crossed its still passable.

Thanks for the detailed map and pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    We camped at Enjo in the Biedouw Valley last week/weekend and decided to do the Postal Route on Friday. We drove down to the Doring river (bone dry) and missed the route that goes more directly to the start of the route, ending up on the R355. By the time we got to the farm at the start of the route, we've driven 100 km and not come across a single other vehicle. Thanks to Johan's map and my (ancient) Garmin, we found the right track - it will be easy to get lost without it. The tracks were clearly not often used.

We stopped for lunch on a large flat rock in a river bed (the one in Johan's photo) which worked well to get away from a nasty westerly wind. I told my wife we're maybe the first people here in two weeks and may be the only people for another two weeks. 15 minutes later 10 bikers came from the other side on their way to the Tankwa!

We continued the rest of the route is a leisurely fashion and stopped to enjoy it when we can and were back at Enjo at 16:00. There were another 4 bikers at the westerly end on their way in when we got there and I'm sure they must've done a part of it in the dark.

The route consists of two parts. The 20km on the west is a fair gravel road and one can make up some time if necessary. The 40km on the east is a lot rougher and either rocky or loose sand. I made use of low range in places just for slow speed control. The route itself shouldn't cause damage to a vehicle but it is a little bit overgrown at the Doring river. Is it possible to do it with a trailer or caravan? I think so yes, but it will take much longer as you'll have to keep your speed down for long sections. There is also one tight corner that you'll have to get right to make it. That said, spending a night in the middle of the route somewhere must be a real experience!

I will be back and hopefully on the bike next time! Thanks Johan for the inspiration!

We decided to drive back to Cape Town via Wuppertal and Eselbank. My main concern was traffic from the front going up the pass from Wuppertal but we were lucky. With caravan in tow, it was slow going for the most part, often down to low range. I thought the road from Eselbank would improve but it only really got better when we got to Matjiesrivier. That said, it is such a scenic drive, I'm very glad we did it!
    Neil, when did you go through Eselbank? We came through on the bikes on Saturday mid day. Stunning road that, but did have a small issue with one vehicle parked to take pics of the view, right on the climb up from Wupperthal
    Somewhere in my Land Rover
    Honda Africa Twin
    Honda XR400

I have heard that one of the farmers along the Postal route does not take kindly to people driving through his farm anymore.
    Honda Africa Twin
    Honda XR400

Quote Originally Posted by hcs View Post
    Neil, when did you go through Eselbank? We came through on the bikes on Saturday mid day. Stunning road that, but did have a small issue with one vehicle parked to take pics of the view, right on the climb up from Wupperthal
    We passed through Eselbank on Sunday. Sorry we missed you.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS

I have heard that one of the farmers along the Postal route does not take kindly to people driving through his farm anymore.
    I suspect I know which farmer. About 20 km from the western side the road passes right in front of a farmhouse. The area around the house is fenced and should they close the gates, they will block the road. The attached photo gives an idea (red - approximate fence, orange = road).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS

Could be that spot yes. This sign was on that route somewhere
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Honda Africa Twin
    Honda XR400

Could be that spot yes. This sign was on that route somewhere
    So is the route closed?

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    So is the route closed?
    No it is not close
    O▮▮▮▮▮O

Quote Originally Posted by johan65 View Post
    No it is not close
    Bit of a technicality though. This is, as far as I have been told, not a public road. So you can be refused entry
    Honda Africa Twin
    Honda XR400

19. The Following User Says Thank You to hcs For This Useful Post:

Bit of a technicality though. This is, as far as I have been told, not a public road. So you can be refused entry
    Actualy it is a public road registered by cape roads. Some of the farmers dont want the traffic and will say anything

Also see
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=112719

If the farmer at elandsvlei lock his gates to his house ( you drive right throu his yard - He lock gates at around six in the evenings and open again early mornings) you can go around his yard. Little detour of about a kilo. Here is other roads around his yard if he locked his gates in the evening.

The road has never been de classed down to a private road. Well not to my investigations/knowledge.

Understand however farmers point to get fedup as people do not leave gates the way the find it. They find gates closed, open it and leave it open. Golden rule. Make sure you respect farmers gates.

Most people do respect these but the young & reckless more interested in the booze give everybody a bad name. Ag foff the farmer to much hazzle to close gates.
    Last edited by johan65; 2018/05/19 at 08:41 AM.
    O▮▮▮▮▮O

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4