Mabuasehube: Mpayathutlwa or Lesholoago

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mabuasehube: Mpayathutlwa or Lesholoago

We are planning our trip to Botswana during 2018. If it is a toss up between Mpayathutlwa or Lesholoago, what would other Forum members recommend?

This is my first posting- but I have been following the forum for a number of months now and find the insight from fellow travelers most helpful.

Default Re: Mabuasehube: Mpayathutlwa or Lesholoago

Mpaya has the better view of the pan and a permanent waterhole ( at least in 2015) , Lesholoago is more out of the way and probably does not get as many drive by visitors as Mpaya.

If it is your first time, then Mpaya for the experience else Lesholoago.

Christa come in!!!
    Peet Schultz

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeetS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PeetS View Post
    Mpaya has the better view of the pan and a permanent waterhole ( at least in 2015) , Lesholoago is more out of the way and probably does not get as many drive by visitors as Mpaya.

If it is your first time, then Mpaya for the experience else Lesholoago.

Christa come in!!!
    You nailed it
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

There is a place called 2 Trees right opposite the waterhole about 1k before the designated camping site. It is exactly what it says 2 trees en niks. Had lions visiting at all times during the day. Very friendly chaps.
    2002 Discovery td5

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nambro For This Useful Post:

Are the two trees at Mpaya?

Quote Originally Posted by DeSturgi View Post
    We are planning our trip to Botswana during 2018. If it is a toss up between Mpayathutlwa or Lesholoago, what would other Forum members recommend?

This is my first posting- but I have been following the forum for a number of months now and find the insight from fellow travelers most helpful.
    Hi there

We just got back and stayed at both , and we loved both. We camped at lesholoago 2 and its close to the waterhole and has water and a long drop toilet. We put up our night camera and we have photos of leopard, lions, caracal and an African wild cat and we had heard nothing! We did see a leopard leaving the waterhole early the one morning. At Mpaya we stayed at camp 2 and the resident lion pride visited us often, sending us into the cars and one night to bed very early. Our camera photographed three different leopards smelling the water tap. Mpaya had lots more cars compared to Lesholoago but nothing that bothered us. If you have time I would stay at both to get both the isolation at lesholoago and the possible predator contact at Mpaya.
    xx

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rossmacg For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-04-26-06-47-23.png 
Views:	353 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	443978The approximate location. Remember, there is nothing other than a dustbin and 2 Trees. Shower-Toilet (if they work) are about 1k away
    2002 Discovery td5

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nambro For This Useful Post:

My first choice Mpaya but since you pay P180 pppn i will prefere Lesologale for P30 pppn.

We were at Mpaya 2 weeks ago and there is NOOOO better campsite. The a frame - there is some poles away. The toilets were in a totale mess. And DWNP came to clean the rubbish. So. In future I will tey to book Lesoloage. It seems that it were the same lions that visit us at Jackspan that visit Lesoloage also.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to witklipbank For This Useful Post:

I do not know what your requirements/Standards are when camping. I like it more to camp wild or at least have no neighbours. Rather no facilities than broken or dirty ones. The lions in Mabua are nearly hand tame. They visited us the one day while us 2 couples were having our G&T sundowner overlooking the pan. Not even 10m away just stood there looking at us. After about 2 mins they carried on towards the legendary shower at Mpaya.
    In the morning they walked past us when we were having breakfast totaly ignoring the lekker vleis sitting close by. 2Trees is often used as an overflow camp for unbooked visitors...like us.
    2002 Discovery td5

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nambro For This Useful Post:

Default Too much garble

Hi.
    Pretty Please could you send me leopard pics, I will identify them by name if it is clear enough.

[email protected]

Maybe you would like the Leopard ID pages that I have for future reference ?
    What camera would you suggest to use at night ?
    Is it like the Bushnell camera trap ?
    Thanks
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by rossmacg View Post
    Hi there

We just got back and stayed at both , and we loved both. We camped at lesholoago 2 and its close to the waterhole and has water and a long drop toilet. We put up our night camera and we have photos of leopard, lions, caracal and an African wild cat and we had heard nothing! We did see a leopard leaving the waterhole early the one morning. At Mpaya we stayed at camp 2 and the resident lion pride visited us often, sending us into the cars and one night to bed very early. Our camera photographed three different leopards smelling the water tap. Mpaya had lots more cars compared to Lesholoago but nothing that bothered us. If you have time I would stay at both to get both the isolation at lesholoago and the possible predator contact at Mpaya.
    xx
    Last edited by imgreg; 2017/04/29 at 05:54 PM.

Imgreg, maybe we should ask the mods for a leopard/ lion of Mabua and Kgalagadi identification sticky similar to the Sanparks forum.

We have bad luck with lion. Leopards seem to literally follow us.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2017/04/29 at 06:28 PM.

Agreed on the Sticky.
    Somehow I actually started the Lion one on Sanparks Kgalagadi section.
    It would be nice to know them by Name (or number)
    We have only seen N!XAU near Polentswa, but nice and close. The others too far to ID.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2477.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	444490

20. The Following User Says Thank You to imgreg For This Useful Post:

Default Re:night camera

Quote Originally Posted by imgreg View Post
    Hi.
    Pretty Please could you send me leopard pics, I will identify them by name if it is clear enough.

[email protected]

Maybe you would like the Leopard ID pages that I have for future reference ?
    What camera would you suggest to use at night ?
    Is it like the Bushnell camera trap ?
    Thanks
    Greg
    Yes
    I will send the photos although not that clear. We used a bushnell camera trap. I would also love to be able to see the leopard and lion ID pages to compare with my photos

regards
    Michelle

Default Re: night camera

Quote Originally Posted by rossmacg View Post
    Yes
    I will send the photos although not that clear. We used a bushnell camera trap. I would also love to be able to see the leopard and lion ID pages to compare with my photos

regards
    Michelle
    Send me your email.
    Mine is [email protected]

Photos sent.

We spent 6 nights at Bosobogolo last week. We booked 12 months ago and it was the only site available. All camp sites was "magically" booked by 8am on the day the bookings was meant to open. No booking could be made prior to that

Far from the other pans, but we managed to visit all other pans except Lesholoago during a 6 hour stint one day. All other pans surely attracted way more traffic.

Saw no cats of any kind during the entire week. Saw a brown hahena in our camp site on the last night before we left.

Actually saw more interesting wildlife, including wild dogs, driving the cut road from Makopong towards the park on our way in. Also had more closer viewings of game on our way out towards Tshabong.

The piece and quite was great, but will probably not visit again as I think there are better places. Still need to visit the SA side of the park.

Default Mabuasehube: Mpayathutlwa or Lesholoago

[QUOTE=JAPster;3562704]"We spent 6 nights at Bosobogolo last week. We booked 12 months ago and it was the only site available. All camp sites was "magically" booked by 8am on the day the bookings was meant to open. No booking could be made prior to that "

The animal sightings is definitely luck of the draw, we also had no lion sightings on our last trip to Mabua but had spoken to the chaps that were at Mpaya 2 a couple of days before us when we met them in Ghanzi and they had them in camp every day .
    We did have leopard in camp several times at night coming to investigate the tap .
    Next time maybe book through Botswana Footprints ( Tara on the forum ) best chance you have of getting the sites you want .
    Last edited by Henk67; 2017/05/04 at 12:41 AM.

Oh and on a our previous trip we met a German couple leaving at the gate who had been in the park for a week without seeing a lion and we found our first sighting within an hour of entering and had several sightings every day for the 5 days we were there before heading to Nossob,
    Sometimes you are just lucky

We will definitely be back

Japster, Bosobologo is probably not the best camp site for a first visit.

I think Mabua has a bit of an inflated lion paradise hype around it. We have had bad luck with lion on all three visits and on the first we stayed at the highly rated Mpaya. Leopard (my favourite cat anyway) and cheetah we have seen on each visit and very good sightings at that.

We go to these places for different reasons than most and that is solitude and landscape. I am slowly getting into landscape photopraphy. The second visit I specifically opted for the out of the way Boso because we were very frustrated with the constant stream of traffic at Mpaya. We now call it Mabua Engen One-Stop.

We very much enjoyed the lack of people at Boso and to me it is the second prettiest pan in Mabua.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast