Disco vs Rangie vs Other _ Please chime in, I need some help

Default Disco vs Rangie vs Other _ Please chime in, I need some help

Hello Everyone,

I've spent a lot of time on this forum, looking around and learning lots, so firstly I'd like to say thanks to all of the characters on here,
    who've already helped me with loads of good advice.

I think my story is quite common, judging from the number of similar posts on the forum.
    I have read them, but I have some specific questions that they haven't answered.
    Please have a read and let me know your thoughts.
    The story goes like this...

A couple of months ago a friend got a Disco 3 TDV6 for about R150k.
    Before he got his Landy I hadn't really looked at the Discos because I had just assumed they cost a million bucks.
    Anyway, I was completely amazed by both the car, and the price, and so I started looking for one to buy.
    Here are some things that are influencing my decision:

• Fuel economy isn't a massive concern as I seldom take long trips, and when I do, fuel is paid for.
    • Reliability on the other hand is important. If I don't feel confident with the car I probably wont take it on trips, which is the whole point.
    • Offroad ability is important, as I will be working in Namibia part of the year.
    • I don't have anything to tow, and I don't need heart-stopping performance from a car.
    • My budget is around R200k.

I'm leaning towards either a Disco 3 V8 or a FFRR 4.4 V8. I'm not looking at the Range Rover Sport.
    As I mentioned, fuel economy is not a massive issue, and all of the posts about snapping cranks has me leaning away from the Diesel engines.
    Some people also have mentioned on the forum that it's smarter to look for petrol engines with high km cars, and everyone seems to agree that the V8 is a workhorse, and more or less bulletproof.

Here are some questions I have for everyone:

1 _ Disco 3 or FFRR? And are there any years to avoid with either car?

2 _ What is a worst case scenario in terms of typical failures with these cars?
    I'm not concerned about general maintenance, I'm just trying to avoid mechanical failures that would bankrupt me.

3 _ I've seen a few ads selling Disco 3 V8s with replaced gearboxes. Is it common for the gearboxes to go, and would you be more skeptical of a Disco with 180,000km on the clock with the original gearbox, or a replaced one?

4 _ Are there any good warranty / motor plan options out there for 8 - 10 year old cars? (This will be my first time buying a car, so all advice here is welcome)

5 _ Can anyone recommend a capable, honest Indie in Cape Town who knows Discos and Rangies? I'd like to have someone take a look at any car I'm thinking of buying, and then also have them look after the car after I buy it. Also, do you typically have to pay for the initial inspection?

*curveball*

6 _ I've spent a fair bit of time driving a Volvo XC60, and think that's also a great car, and similarly priced. Does anyone have any thoughts on it vs the Landys?

7 _ Does anyone have any other cars they think I should consider?
    I'm not really looking at Toyota as an option as I'd be parking on the street and have this idea (which I got from the forum) that Toyotas get stolen all the time.

Anyway, don't feel like you need to answer all of these.. this post turned into an essay.
    Thanks for reading.. All your thoughts are welcome

Default Re: Disco vs Rangie vs Other _ Please chime in, I need some help

Hallo Critter, I know nothing about cars and things like that, or 4x4 ing. But welcome!

All I can tell you, until you are committed to buy, DO NOT go and drive a D3 and then compare, as you will end up buying it.

The D3 TDv6 have some issues, nothing is really bank breaking except of course the dreaded crank and bearings issue, and there is no way to check or predict, roll the dice, if it is your turn, it is your turn, then you in for R100-R130k. The other known issues are for example compressor, alternator, lower control arms etc, each item will probably set you back R10k for the alternator and compressor, and R15-R20k for the control arms. (based on actual costs for replacement on my vehicle). A vehicle of R200k means probably a 2007/2008 model, you will not get any after market warranty with sufficient cover. Engine replace cost is R100k+, a warranty on that model will probably cover R45k (Innovations Superdrive).

You need to ask yourself if you have the financial capability to cover a engine rebuild or replacement.

I have to admit, if you ask me right now to point out problems here on the forum with a D3 V8 I will battle to find it, if you can live with the fuel consumption I think that is the way to go.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

I had a Disco 4 HSE TDV6 and then got the 2016 5.0lt V8 Supercharged Range Rover sport.

I miss my D4 immensely. It had 7 seats and the RRS only 5. The sitting position, for my taste, was better even if the RRS has "Oxford" leather, nogal. The packing space in the D4 beats the RRS hands down with the D4's upright rear window vs the RRS's slanted rear window. Fuel consumption......., well, suffice to say the D4 can drive so much further than the RRS on the same amount of fuel. Performance, well, the RRS is absolutely bloody mind boggling neck snapping stunning, but the D4, again in my opinion, has ample horses under the bonnet. The D4 can be bought used today for as little as R280K for a 2010 model while an RRS of the same spec as mine can be had for anything between R1m for a 2012 model to R2m for a new one.

Get a D4...........
    Johan De Graaf
    2019 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2.0 Biturbo 4x2 D/C
    2013 Range Rover e-vogue HSE Dynamic SD4
    2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldtimer For This Useful Post:

I cannot disagree with what had been said thus far (especially post #2 ).

Having had both an RR and D3 I must say in versatility the D3 trumps the FullFat. ITO comfort the FullFat is king.

Looking at your work scenario I would go for the D3 V8.

Member VNITOS has both the RR and D3 V8; so look him up and read his posts. Hopefully he'll be along and give his 2CW.
    Last edited by 2beFree; 2017/04/22 at 03:03 PM.

An FFRR under 200k will be more than 10 years old...
    Discovery 2 V8 XS
    Range Rover Sport SDV8

You called

My 2cw

It depends:-

- for lots of packing space and/or 7seats, then D3 V8, preferably SE or HSE.
    - If no need for the above, then RR - I would go for 4.2 supercharged version.

- Services and maintenance for both vehicles are very similar; in fact front brake pads for RRSC was cheaper than that for the D3 - bought the pads at the same time.
    - RRSC not more complicated than D3 except for the additional luxury features such as TV, DVD, etc. However, basic cars, e.g. engines, rear brakes, gearboxes, are the same except for the difference in suspension and air suspension compressor.

Which one do I prefer - the RRSC - torque and power spread throughout the rev range is better than the D3; D3 has to be driven harder (higher revs) whereas RRSC just seems to be so much easier in gathering and maintaining speeds.

O, if you get a late 2007 or later, you will still be able to buy an aftermarket warranty that will inter alia cover up to R70k on engine and R50k on gearbox as well as decent cover on air suspension, etc. I just bought such cover for my D3

Hope this help and good luck with the search

2007 Disco3 (SWAMBO)
    2004 Merc platkar (SWAMBO) - no more
    gti-eater (opel gte)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vnitos For This Useful Post:

Just to add - the RRSC is just below 200 000kms and the D3 at about 186000kms whilst I sold my previous RR V8 on 227000kms

2007 Disco3 (SWAMBO)
    gti-eater (opel gte)

concerning the XC90 and D3. I had a 2008 D3 TDV6 and changed for a 2011 XC90. Big mistake! The Disco is in another league. Even the consumption is better and it is a real 4x4. I went up and down Africa in the Landy. I would not do it in the XC90. As a highway car, the Disco is still better in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by vnitos View Post
    O, if you get a late 2007 or later, you will still be able to buy an aftermarket warranty that will inter alia cover up to R70k on engine and R50k on gearbox as well as decent cover on air suspension, etc. I just bought such cover for my D3
    Please more info on this, when I searched Innovations had the best cover, but not for that age vehicle.

I have both the XC60 petrol as well as the D3V8 i pick the D3 over the volvo any day

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jreizenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Please more info on this, when I searched Innovations had the best cover, but not for that age vehicle.
    Its Motorite Options Formula Explorer Plus Double-Up 2 year warranty with unlimited kilometers - this is available for vehicles up to 10 years old with less than 200 000kms at the time of inception of the warranty.

2007 Disco3 (SWAMBO)
    gti-eater (opel gte)

Quote Originally Posted by vnitos View Post
    Its Motorite Options Formula Explorer Plus Double-Up 2 year warranty with unlimited kilometers - this is available for vehicles up to 10 years old with less than 200 000kms at the time of inception of the warranty.
    Brilliant thanks.