Default Joburg to Serengeti Trip Report Dec 2016 / Jan 2017

Finally wrote up our trip - better late than never!
    Thanks everyone I relied on for advice / info and whose reports I poured over in planning this trip

Its a 4 week trip from JHB to Serengeti and then all the way back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Webster For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Joburg to Serengeti Trip Report Dec 2016 / Jan 2017

Reading your gripping report over leasurely Sunday breakfast. About half way through. Back for more after chores. 109 days until we arrive in JNB to start our trip!!! Thanks so much for the detail and the joy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carol28 For This Useful Post:

Fantastic trip report. Really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for taking the trouble.

Hi Webster,

Thank you for feeding back and for the detail provided. You have just beamed me back to October 2016! Indeed one feels privileged to be in the Serengeti at one of the special campsites. Just for oneself! I agree, GTMaps are by far the most useful maps for locating those Campsites, then we let our judgment and the GPA do the work!

Thank you!

AP

PS. what a teaser Carol28!
    Last edited by apfac; 2017/04/09 at 10:33 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to apfac For This Useful Post:

Asante sana, Webster. A great report. Thank you for posting.

Karibuni East Africa!

Thanks so much everyone for the kind and positive feedback. Carol28 I am green with envy at what lies ahead for you - have been watching your planning thread - can't add much I'm afraid as we took the pretty std route

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Webster For This Useful Post:

Many thanks for taking us all along with you on this adventure. Your enthusiasm for the wonders of what you encountered en route seeps through the text a lot. I will also take note of the road conditions that you mentioned in planning my own route to Ruaha in September although hopefully some will have been completed in the intervening months. (even in Africa they DO end!)
    I am a great fan of Tarangire and Serengeti and was pleased to read that you were not disappointed with what you encountered and hope your words encourage others to make the journey.
    I had to smile at you having to move camp sites only because you actually saw the lions. It's the ones that you don't see that one should be concerned with. But what a wake up call you had at Lobo Camp.

I had noticed the notation for Elsa's Grave on GT's maps. As you state, this is not the Adamson's Elsa, who was buried in Kenya.
    I understand that the following account gives a clue to the origin of the Serengeti connection:-
    "When Elsa was 3 she was released into the wild, mated and gave birth to 3 cubs, Jespah, Gopa, and Little Elsa. On Xmas eve 1960 the Adamsons received a letter asking them to remove Elsa and her cubs from their home in Kenya but Elsa died before a new home could be found for her and her cubs. Eventually this new home was found in the Serengeti Park in the then Tanganyika territory.
    The three cubs were eventually released about 70 kms from Naabi Hill in an area which became known as "cub valley".

The cubs eventually left the new camp in 1962 and were never seen again.

So even thought it mentions Elsa's Grave on that map it is probably cub valley. I believe the original stone marking Elsa's Meru grave was also translocated."

I hope this has cleared the mystery for you.

Thanks once again for a great report and some great photos.
    Last edited by Albert Ross; 2017/04/10 at 11:33 PM.
    Albert

Progress might have been alright once, but it has gone on too long.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Albert Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the excellent report! Congrats on seeing rhinos around Moru, they are certainly not taken for granted. Not to mention all the cats and other usual suspects sightings. Your report relay makes me itchy to return to Tanzania soon.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Ross;had noticed the notation for Elsa's Grave on GT's maps. As you state, this is not the Adamson's Elsa, who was buried in Kenya.
    I understand that the following account gives a clue to the origin of the Serengeti connection:-
    "When Elsa was 3 she was released into the wild, mated and gave birth to 3 cubs, Jespah, Gopa, and Little Elsa. On Xmas eve 1960 the Adamsons received a letter asking them to remove Elsa and her cubs from their home in Kenya but Elsa died before a new home could be found for her and her cubs. Eventually this new home was found in the Serengeti Park in the then Tanganyika territory.
    The three cubs were eventually released about 70 kms from [URL="https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g293751-d669911-Reviews-Naabi_Hill-Serengeti_National_Park.html"
    Naabi Hill[/URL] in an area which became known as "cub valley".

The cubs eventually left the new camp in 1962 and were never seen again.

So even thought it mentions Elsa's Grave on that map it is probably cub valley. I believe the original stone marking Elsa's Meru grave was also translocated."

I hope this has cleared the mystery for you.
    Aaah. That makes sense. Maybe we saw some of her distant offspring.....we are both still enjoying the trip afterglow. Was our first time in Tanzania. First mega road trip. Lot's of firsts actually!
    Last edited by Webster; 2017/04/11 at 07:26 PM.

Been away and only saw this now. Congratulations on a most successful trip and a really top-class trip report.

From your photos you camped in a number of the same campsites as us, to within a couple of inches. "........ but fools never differ."

I am sure you appreciate what wonderful memories your report evokes in us. You provide a great resource for forum members to utilize when researching similar trips. I hope other readers, not having visited the places you describe so aptly, gather impetus from your well documented experience.

I have a myriad of possible comments but am so pleased that you chose to visit the Kasanka bats as well and fully agree that with the new bridge to get back to Fibwe Hide, Kabwe campsite is preferable to the one at Pontoon. I am very pleased that you had such a spectacular experience. We will be back there!
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Finally wrote up our trip - better late than never!
    Thanks everyone I relied on for advice / info and whose reports I poured over in planning this trip

Its a 4 week trip from JHB to Serengeti and then all the way back.
    Thank you Webster.

We did a one week fly in lodge/hotel option last year and it is very interesting to compare our experience with yours.