Second battery on G-Wagon

Default Second battery on G-Wagon

Hi Gents,

Anybody have experience connecting a second battery to a G? I did contact Merc as per the request from installer below and they have no clue:

"Your service manual warns of tampering with the vehicle battery in any way.

Please can you call your Merc dealer and ask them where we can connect the 2nd battery. I suspect they will say that we can simply connect to the jump starter points in the engine bay, but I would rather make sure first. Also ask them to confirm which is the positive terminal.

We will be fitting a CTEK 250S DC-DC Charger"

Merc just said it could void warranty.
    Last edited by ryanbe; 2017/04/04 at 01:11 PM.

Default Re: Second battery on G-Wagon

I would run away as far as I can get.

In aux battery installer that asks you to confirm which is the positive terminal.........ay yay yay ya yay.

Not knowing the details of the car in question, but with a reasonable understanding of what "inline" sensors may be involved, I would connect the CTEK directly to the batteries terminals and fuse the cable positive as close as practical to the battery terminal.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2017/04/04 at 01:22 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Hi is it not that some models have space for a smaller battery 65ah in the back of the centre console? The oom we went traveling with had one in there. Maybe also check the galendewagen club's site. Maybe one of them will be along shortly.
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

Lol I thought the same initially, and I can actually also test and tell them myself. But then again I actually don't blame them. Its a newish vehicle and they probably rather safe than sorry and maybe just want something in writing

I am also not too concerned about the warranty if installation is done well. Doubt Merc would sell a overland vehicle that you cant do any mods on.

Its a very good installer and all their work is top quality from what I have seen.

What is actually more concerning is the Merc workshop manager with no clue!
    Last edited by ryanbe; 2017/04/04 at 01:32 PM.

Picture of jump start points