Botswana trip - 10/2017 - 17 days itinerary

Default Botswana trip - 10/2017 - 17 days itinerary

Hi all,

my friends and I are planning a trip to Botswana in October, so we are thinking about the itinerary. We would like to go self-drive for about 17 days. This is a very rough itinerary we worked out so far:

Johannesburg - Huntersroad start (2 days)
    Huntersroad start - Kasane (day 3)
    Kasane - Livingstone - Kasane (day 4)
    Kasane - Savuti (days 5, 6)
    Savuti - Moremi - Maun (days 7, 8)
    Maun - Motopi (CKGR) (day 9)
    Motopi - Deception; game drives (days 10, 11)
    Deception - Rakops - Ngwala (day 12)
    Ngwala - Gweta; offroad (day 13)
    Gweta - Orapa; offroad (day 14)
    Orapa - Francistown (day 15)
    Francistown - Johannesburg (days 16, 17)

I would like to ask if you have any suggestions as to our rough plan, before we start to work out the details. I would be very happy for any suggestion.

Default Re: Botswana trip - 10/2017 - 17 days itinerary

Quote Originally Posted by david19 View Post
    Hi all,

my friends and I are planning a trip to Botswana in October, so we are thinking about the itinerary. We would like to go self-drive for about 17 days. This is a very rough itinerary we worked out so far:

I would like to ask if you have any suggestions as to our rough plan, before we start to work out the details. I would be very happy for any suggestion.

My opinion: Too much in too short a time. Decide on one area like Chobe/Moremi or CKGP/Pans and spend more time at one place.
    '89 LR 110 V8

Hmm, thank you Mike. Yeah it looks tight... However, we would like to see as much as we can, since there are so many places in the world to visit and who knows when we will come back to Bots. I was thinking, that maybe it is better to fly to Livingstone and start/end there - we could save some time cutting off Joburg - Francistown transfer.
    Last edited by david19; 2017/04/01 at 10:08 PM.

Thought you are from Jo'burg, only see now you are from Brno. Yes, difficult for you international guys to do it at leisure. Difficult to say if starting at Livingstone will make it easier, will depend on your rental vehicle (I assume) pick-up and return policy, though I see you could then go from Francistown back to Livingstone. It could be difficult to do in one day due to Kazangula ferry crossing delays, so the time saving would be at the start.
    Last edited by Mike N; 2017/04/02 at 09:36 AM.
    '89 LR 110 V8

Well, it is not easy... Thank you for sharing your opinion with me. :-)

Hi all,

Do you have your hearts set on Livingstone or would you consider a day trip to Vic Falls rather? It is cheaper and less of a hassle because you do not need to cross the river by ferry like you do to Zambia and I think there is a nicer view of the Falls from the Zim side.

Happy planning
    Bronwen

Well, thank you. The reason we opt for Livingstone is the devils pool. I think it is not accessible from Zim side, or is it?

May be with a day trip.

Should be with a day trip from Kasane.

Hi David

As a fellow European who flies down to Joburg to hire 4x4s for Botswana (sooo much cheaper), it always surprises me how long it takes to pick up the vehicle at the airport, do some shopping, and get on the road. We usually don't get out of South Africa on the first day. You still have time to get to Hunter's Road (where exactly?) on day 2, but it's a tiring drive.

Personally, I'd aim for Woodlands or Elephant Sands for the second night (no need to choose in advance), and then spend at least 3 nights (4 or 5 is better) in the Kasane area (including a day excursion to Vic Falls, not Livingstone) as Chobe riverside is busy, but fantastic.

I'd then go to Savuti (1/2 nts), followed by the Khwai area (3 nts) and possibly Moremi. This means you'd have to give up on the idea of the Central Kalahari, but it's not the best time of year for that park, it will be very hot, and you'll save some driving.

From Maun you'd head to Gweta, across the Mkgadikgadi Pans, and back towards Joburg. In this case you'd go via Serowe and stay at Khama Rhino, rather than via Francistown. You can go from there in one day back to Joburg, depending on flight times, but I'd recommend spending 2 days and have my last night over the border in South Africa as you have proposed.

Cheers John

PS Just seen the posts about Vic Falls. There won't be much water in October. I agree with Bronwen that it's better, particularly late in the year, from the Zim side.
    Last edited by Itchy Feet; 2017/04/04 at 09:11 PM.

1. I would suggest you Dinokeng NP campsites (DeRust or Koedoesrus Boskamp) for the first and last day, very conviniently close to the airport
    2. Definitely Vic falls from Zim side
    3. If in Zim already I would swap CKGR for Hwange. I know many will not agree but CKGR is not so suitable for fast moving Europeans
    4. More time in Moremi (Dijara, Dizhana, Tshaa or Kazikiini are much cheaper for us)
    5. Do not forget Chobe Riverfront game drive and boatride
    6. Put Khama Rhino into your itinerary. You will not be dissapointed.
    7. Have not been at Hunters road yet, would like to hear your first hand feedback
    8. Remember it will be very hot in October, Black label is the only palatable beer for Czech folks

All the above advice is good. Schwott's idea is great. Do not try and over do the trip. You need to have a full day at the game park sites for recce'ing and drives or it will be a waste of time. Getting to your next spot can take up most of your daylight hours and the drive along these roads are not normal game viewing trips.

How about doing Jhb {1}; Elephant Sands{1}; Zim (you can do a short section of Hunters road and then in at Pandamatenga, and {2} at Hwange - one at Robins area and one at Sinamatella- , Vic Falls {1} (do both sides you crossover the bridge); Kasane {1} stock up and do a sunset boat trip; Chobe ({2} Ihaha); Savuti {1}; Moremi {3} at Northgate or Southgate (Black pools area); Maun (stock-up) {1}; Khumaga {2} (Tiaan's or NP); Khama {1}; Jhb {last night}

Bear in mind it will be hot in October, and bring and take your malaria tablets!!!!

PS. Day one Jhb and then try to get close to the Border at Martins drift. Jhb to Elephants Sands is a long trip but is doable 10 to 11 hours.

How about flying in and out of Maun and collecting/dropping off your rental there?

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    All the above advice is good. Schwott's idea is great. Do not try and over do the trip. You need to have a full day at the game park sites for recce'ing and drives or it will be a waste of time. Getting to your next spot can take up most of your daylight hours and the drive along these roads are not normal game viewing trips.

How about doing Jhb {1}; Elephant Sands{1}; Zim (you can do a short section of Hunters road and then in at Pandamatenga, and {2} at Hwange - one at Robins area and one at Sinamatella- , Vic Falls {1} (do both sides you crossover the bridge); Kasane {1} stock up and do a sunset boat trip; Chobe ({2} Ihaha); Savuti {1}; Moremi {3} at Northgate or Southgate (Black pools area); Maun (stock-up) {1}; Khumaga {2} (Tiaan's or NP); Khama {1}; Jhb {last night}

Bear in mind it will be hot in October, and bring and take your malaria tablets!!!!
    I would not change anything here, it is exactly my taste. Just maybe from the budget point of view I would swap Ihaha for Muchenje campsite. At Pandamantenga you will save 100 USD on CVG over Kazungula. At Vic falls you can stock-up the cheapest Black labels there.

Quote Originally Posted by schwott View Post
    I would not change anything here, it is exactly my taste. Just maybe from the budget point of view I would swap Ihaha for Muchenje campsite. At Pandamantenga you will save 100 USD on CVG over Kazungula. At Vic falls you can stock-up the cheapest Black labels there.
    Also from a budget perspective, I would do 3 nights at Khwai/Dijara/Dizhaana rather than inside Moremi .....

So many replies! Thank you very much. I did not expect that. I have to go through it in detail. To be honest, you did not make me happy, cause I really wanted to visit CKGR, but it seems pretty irrational - hard to combine with other parks. :-/ It is fascinating me for its remoteness.

So many replies! Thank you very much. I did not expect that. I have to go through it in detail. To be honest, you did not make me happy, cause I really wanted to visit CKGR, but it seems pretty irrational - hard to combine with other parks. :-/ It is fascinating me for its remoteness.
    I guess its because, for you to enjoy CKGR, at least minimum of 3 days should be spend there, and from your itinerary you dont have much of that time. CKGR is large and you might find yourself spending more time moving from one camp to the other, than on a game drive.