Botswana Kgalagadi July 2018

Default Botswana Kgalagadi July 2018

Hi all. I'm hoping you can give me some advice regarding our first trip to Kgalagadi I am planning for July 2018. We have 12 nights to spend in the park, but I have no clue which of the more than 20 campsites to chose from, or which routes to chose to get the best experience from the park. We will be entering the park at Twee Rivieren and then head over to CKGR after the 12 days in Kgalagadi. We will be self-sufficient and sleep in a roof top tent. Any advice or comments are welcome!

Also please see my post regarding the CKGR part of our trip:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...-CKGR-Aug-2018
    Last edited by MrTolbos; 2017/04/01 at 03:45 PM.

Default Re: Botswana Kgalagadi July 2018

See attached map of area:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Difficult to start with.
    We have been boering in that area for a few years now.
    You have 3 main camps fully stocked shops and diesel etc.
    You might know them but anyway, Twee Rivieren, Nossop and Mata Mata. (FENCED)
    Must places are unfenced and only a few sights at each spot. Bots side but virtually in SA side. Rooiputs, Polentswa,
    If you taking ladies with then you have to chalet at Garagab, Grootkolk and those chalets. Many and they all have special memories, Bitterpan is unusual.
    You have to mix wild unfenced and chalets so they can have hot showers and do the hair thing.

I have lots of pics and info. Kgalagadi is great as you have no tar roads and no huge amounts of people, you could see lions etc on your own.
    Lets see what the others say and I will chip in.
    Cheers
    Greg
    Last edited by imgreg; 2017/04/01 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Too much info on the Ma.. side

The South African side is tamer than the Bots side from a camping perspective. The SA camps are typical SanParks camps with all the usual amenities, which is fine but if you like more of a wilderness experience, head for the Mabuasehube area on the Botswana side. The sites are all unfenced and are set far apart. Each camp has a long drop and an A frame but don't count on there being water. If you start from the SA side, first of all avoid the Twee Rivieren camp and head for Roiputs on the Bots side after you enter the park (a short drive). When you head over to Mabuasehube take the southern track east. I suggest stopping at Matopi 1 or 2 overnight. I took us 2.5 hours from Nossob to Matopi 1 (we asked around at Nossob camp and were told it would take us 2 hours, 5 hours or 7 hours). we stayed two nights attach of Mabuasehube Pan 3 and Leshoalago 2. Both are nice sites. One word of warning - we had lions in the camp on a number of occasions so if you're not comfortable with being up close and personal with nature, you might want to think again.

The next available fuel after Nossob is at Tsabong.

If you look for wilderness experience then try to stick to the Botswana side.
    Camps like Rooiputs and Polentswa are jewels.
    Wit the time at hand include Mabua section and try Bosobogolo, Mpayaputla and Mabuasehube. Kidding being far from water and less busy in terms of wildlife.
    For supplies I use Nossob, but don't really like the crowded space and hundreds of campers, same goes for Twee Rivieren.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

OK, here I go with my personal preferences, others will differ. I see you do have Tracks4Africa and a GPS.

I assume that from the Trans-frontier Park you are then going onto CKGR and so will be seeking mainly unfenced camping which is on the Botswana side in KTP?

• After entering at Tweerivieren (as you will be leaving SA and entering Botswana go to immigration and customs here) spend 3-4 nights camping at Rooiputs on the Botswana side of the Nossob River. Campsite 3 is my favorite.
    • Then stay over (camping or chalets) at Nossob (fenced) on the SA side as Mabuasehube is too far from Rooiputs. Stay 1-2 nights or longer if you feel you have time to spare.
    • Take the Bosobogolo Trail to Mabuasehube. With a reasonably early start there is not need to overnight at either of the Motopi sites.
    • Mabuasehube is fairly small and there is no need at all to change campsites more than twice.
    • The campsites here I prefer is descending order are: Mpayathutlwa no 1 or 2, Mabuasehube Pan no 1 (no facilities but best view over pan and waterhole) or 2, Lesholoago no 2 or 1. Split the rest of your nights between two of these.
    • Exit the northern gate at Mabua and head for Hukuntsi and stay over in Kang, camping or chalets at Kalahari Rest .
    • From Kang on road to Ghanzi turn off before Ghantzi to Xade Gate CKGR.
    • It can get excessively cold in late July!
    • Do your bookings for your entire trip through Tara-Lee Flory at Botswana Footprints in Maun www.botswanafootprints.com. They are very experienced and only charge something like R500 for the entire booking. Some of the campsites in Mabua have also recently been privatized.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Hi all. Thank you for all the inputs and recommendations thus far, I really appreciate it.

I have decided on the following trip plan:

1-2 Augrabies
    3-5 Rooiputs
    6 Nossob
    7 Matopi
    8-9 Mpayathutlwa
    10-11 Mabuasehube
    12-13 Lesholoago
    14 Kalahari Rest
    15-24 CKGR
    25-29 Travel back to Port Elizabeth

Now I hope everything will be available on my dates...

Hi Everyone

I saw on a different thread that there might be routes in the park that is not allowed to drive solo. Can you please advise me if this route in the screenshot would be allowed solo, or any other good/need to know info about this route? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MrTolbos For This Useful Post:

Hi, I've replied on the other thread wrt the trails - yes the route described above is allowed solo.

Thanks RraBots

On the 29th May I will be riding the same route.
    As they say no problem on your own and you not towing.
    Just some dunes and the danger of oncoming vehicles that are behind or below a lot of blind corners and dunes.
    I am seriously thinking of making 2 keep left signs but it is a wild unspoilt area so I will not.
    Tolbos I would not stay at Matopi, having said that if you leave Nossop a bit later than normal then maybe.
    Matopi for me is too close to Nossop or Mabua (FOR ME) and Matopi 1 or 2 has no real view or anything I find it as just a deergangs Kamp.
    As I said before we had a huge pride of Lions at Matopi about 3 years ago but they seem to have moved along ? Anyone seen them again.
    They had been known to block you in your rooftop tent all around the shade of the car in the early morning. 6 to 8 hours of serious FUN

Quote Originally Posted by imgreg View Post
    On the 29th May I will be riding the same route.
    As they say no problem on your own and you not towing.
    Just some dunes and the danger of oncoming vehicles that are behind or below a lot of blind corners and dunes.
    I am seriously thinking of making 2 keep left signs but it is a wild unspoilt area so I will not.
    Tolbos I would not stay at Matopi, having said that if you leave Nossop a bit later than normal then maybe.
    Matopi for me is too close to Nossop or Mabua (FOR ME) and Matopi 1 or 2 has no real view or anything I find it as just a deergangs Kamp.
    As I said before we had a huge pride of Lions at Matopi about 3 years ago but they seem to have moved along ? Anyone seen them again.
    They had been known to block you in your rooftop tent all around the shade of the car in the early morning. 6 to 8 hours of serious FUN
    Thanks Imreg for the heads up, we will take it slow and keep to left. Do you have an idea of travel time from Nossob to Mpayathutlwa Camp 1? According to T4A its about 8 hours for the 185km, that gives me 23km/h average speed, which sounds about right. I prefer driving not more than 4 hours a day, so that is why Matopi works out perfect for us. And I'll make a note of keeping the camera in the RTT at night, just incase we have guests in our shade the next morning

On another note, I'm guessing we can stop anywhere to have lunch, there is not designated fenced in spots? Are you allowed to get out of your car anywhere in Kgalagadi?

Here is the thing. Kgalagadi is a transfrontier park, but San parks and DWNP parks do not work well hand in hand. If you are in the San parks area and get out of your car at a non designated spot, then they will ban you for life. The Bots side has far less resources and does not regularly have a presence on the trails. Technically you are not supposed to get out of your vehicle any where but the camp sites or designated picnic or look out spots.

It appears though that there are San parks rules and no rules.

DWNP

These are the basic regulations set out by Department of Wildlife & National Parks to increase your enjoyment, protect the wildlife & habitat and create for good management of the parks.

• Stay below the 40km/hr speed limit for the safety of wildlife, yourselves and to keep the dust down
    • ALWAYS stay on the established tracks in order to avoid the ugly scars left by off-road driving
    • Camp only in designated campsites and ensure that you leave behind no signs of your stay
    • Sleeping outside without a protected shelter is extemely DANGEROUS
    • Remember that your SAFETY is your own responsibility
    • ALWAYS fasten your tent flaps at night to avoid unwelcome visits by snakes and scorpians
    • Where monkeys, baboons and hyenas are present, secure your foodstuffs in your vehicle
    • Monkeys and Baboons will snatch food from your table if your attention is diverted
    • Please conserve firewood by using your own gas stove for cooking
    • ALWAYS avoid causing damage to any plants and animlas and leave everything as nature intended
    • ENSURE that you are in your camp during hours of darkness
    • PLEASE cause the least possible disturbance to other visitors and wildlife
    • REMEBER that if you try to bury rubbish, it will be dug by hyenas and scattered
    • Where toilet facilites are not provided, please burn all toilet paper
    • PLEASE help to keep these wild areas clean and litter free, so everyone can enjoy their pristine beauty
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    Hi Everyone

I saw on a different thread that there might be routes in the park that is not allowed to drive solo. Can you please advise me if this route in the screenshot would be allowed solo, or any other good/need to know info about this route? Thanks!
    AFAIK you are not allowed to leave (or enter) Mabuasehube via the Northern cutline exit as shown on your map.All visitors are supposed to sign in and out at the main entrance on the eastern park border.
    '89 LR 110 V8

Hello MrTolbos,
    It took us 6.5 hours from nossob to mab. gate about 10 days ago.
    The track wasn't difficult and we didn't have any problems.

We were also told at the gate that we had to exit there at the east and not in the north. The track looked incredibly overgrown when we passed it on our way to hukuntsi, so it seemed like they have stopped using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    AFAIK you are not allowed to leave (or enter) Mabuasehube via the Northern cutline exit as shown on your map.All visitors are supposed to sign in and out at the main entrance on the eastern park border.
    Also interested to know if you can enter and exit at this Northern Gate?
    2012 Toyota Fortuner, Dual Battery system, Drawer system, Tough Dog springs, air helpers
    Metalian trailer

Quote Originally Posted by tcar View Post
    Also interested to know if you can enter and exit at this Northern Gate?
    You cannot. See the post just before yours. I quoted it again below:

Quote Originally Posted by Wickychicky View Post
    Hello MrTolbos,

We were also told at the gate that we had to exit there at the east and not in the north. The track looked incredibly overgrown when we passed it on our way to hukuntsi, so it seemed like they have stopped using it.

Also see this thread from yesterday: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...to-Mabuasehube
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2017/04/13 at 09:41 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

22. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

When going camping there in July, be prepared for the cold. We had 3 nights of - 11deg during July 2016.