Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017 - Page 8




Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 564
  1. #141
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Potch/Brits
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,013
    Thanked: 451

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    Hierdie gaan die beste canyon trip ooit wees met die lys voertuie wat gaan!

    Waars Oom Grips? Hy moet ook plan maak

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Langs die rivier, op n berg
    Posts
    12,147
    Thanked: 2104

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    Ek raak nou bang met my stokou safaritjie
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Johanesburg
    Age
    37
    Posts
    272
    Thanked: 114

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNRRON View Post
    Nie baie water die tyd van die jaar nie, net die een poel by dead dog gorge wat diep is, maar die lyn is aan die ander kant.
    As die water min is by die Beach, kan ons dalk daar probeer deurkom...
    As iemand baie sandsakke kan bring, kan ons dalk dit gebruik om die voertuie net genoeg te lig om daar deur te kom.
    I can carry a reasonable amount of weight on the back of the 416 (2t +). I don't have sandbags, but if somebody can organise some, I'm happy to transport them over the trail for us.

    Also, if anybody has large items / gear that won't fit in the back of your 2door Jeeps etc, we can make a plan and load them up. Ditto for heavier recovery equipment, spare parts, etc.

    Once I'm 100% sure I'm coming (it's currently at 90% :-) I'll have a chat with the organisers to see how I can help out. We'll keep in touch over the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to my first Canyon trip!
    Last edited by Dawid Loubser; 2017/05/09 at 10:35 PM.

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    26
    Posts
    573
    Thanked: 60

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawid Loubser View Post
    I can carry a reasonable amount of weight on the back of the 416 (2t +). I don't have sandbags, but if somebody can organise some, I'm happy to transport them over the trail for us.

    Also, if anybody has large items / gear that won't fit in the back of your 2door Jeeps etc, we can make a plan and load them up. Ditto for heavier recovery equipment, spare parts, etc.

    Once I'm 100% sure I'm coming (it's currently at 90% :-) I'll have a chat with the organisers to see how I can help out. We'll keep in touch over the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to my first Canyon trip!
    The sandbags can be filled at the beach. You need to keep space for the Jimny.
    JK CRD
    Willys CJ2a
    Yamaha YZ250

  5. #145
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Johanesburg
    Age
    37
    Posts
    272
    Thanked: 114

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlash657 View Post
    The sandbags can be filled at the beach. You need to keep space for the Jimny.
    Haha, and who's bringing the crane to lift a Jimny 2m?
    1984 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 416, 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC, 2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 (Sexy car for a sexy wife)

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    KEMPTON PARK
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,230
    Thanked: 260

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    This is going to be a trip of note , we have to get some sort of a camera crew to come along as by the looks of it we will have the smallest and biggest going along on this trip . I dont want to be the one that said I told you so , but go and have another look at the video tape on YOUtube . Up to dead dog gorge its pretty plain sailing and driven on day one , Day two is all but a kilo long but this takes all day to drive , getting past dead dog gorge about 50 m takes nearly and hour to get one vehicle over , now the Jimny we could maybe carry some of the way , that MOG , another story , but all I can say is that I am looking forward to this year CARNAGE CANYON attempt .
    Last edited by NEON DEON; 2017/05/10 at 09:32 AM.
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

  7. #147
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    KEMPTON PARK
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,230
    Thanked: 260

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    On second thought , we could always use the Mog as a bridge to cross dead dog gorge , Park it in the water and drive over the bak .All we nead is some dik planks and we are sorted .
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

  8. #148
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Potch/Brits
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,013
    Thanked: 451

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    Dammit. I would like to go as a spectator!!!! Wonder if I can cancel my family weekend.

    Is Johan Swift going? He makes good videos

  9. #149
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Age
    47
    Posts
    15,285
    Thanked: 2533

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    I would love to spectate this trip, think it is going to be an epic one.

  10. #150
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Johanesburg
    Age
    37
    Posts
    272
    Thanked: 114

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I would love to spectate this trip, think it is going to be an epic one.
    Ok guys, we're in 100% with the Mog! My brave colleague Justin will be riding shotgun with me.
    It's in pretty good mechnical nick, but I'm going to have our club's legendary mechanic Ferdi give it a once over to ensure the chances of you guys having to help tow or fix the beast over rocks is minimised.
    Last edited by Dawid Loubser; 2017/05/10 at 10:20 AM.

  11. #151
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Johanesburg
    Age
    37
    Posts
    272
    Thanked: 114

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by NEON DEON View Post
    On second thought , we could always use the Mog as a bridge to cross dead dog gorge , Park it in the water and drive over the bak .All we nead is some dik planks and we are sorted .
    That has to be one hell of a deep puddle of water to make it easier for you guys to drive over a Unimog with planks, vs the surrounding rocks!

    Luckily I'll probably have my canvas cover on the rear, so we won't find out :-)
    1984 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 416, 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC, 2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 (Sexy car for a sexy wife)

  12. #152
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    57
    Posts
    7,658
    Thanked: 1233

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Hierdie gaan die beste canyon trip ooit wees met die lys voertuie wat gaan!

    Waars Oom Grips? Hy moet ook plan maak
    Oom Grips se Ranger sal dit nie maak sonder lockers. Oom Grips is nie op daardie extreme vlak nie.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  13. #153
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    KEMPTON PARK
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,230
    Thanked: 260

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    It has been mentioned that their is an option to join as spectators , A service road runs next to the river , maybe 50-80m away and is drivable with a Avis 4x4 , it is only the last 1 km that you have to walk and maybe carry your kit in order to camp at the beach .
    This means that their is really no excuse not to join the trip .
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

  14. #154
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Potch/Brits
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,013
    Thanked: 451

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Oom Grips se Ranger sal dit nie maak sonder lockers. Oom Grips is nie op daardie extreme vlak nie.
    Agnee Oom.

    Daai Ranger hoort op so trippie

  15. #155
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,378
    Thanked: 298

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    This is going to be epic
    Flip

    Member: 4x4 Action Group - GP0026 & Suzuki4x4GP
    Awesome: Suzuki Jimny;

  16. #156
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Langs die rivier, op n berg
    Posts
    12,147
    Thanked: 2104

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    To this sounds like a wonderful event, and maybe I may try take part next year.

    Sorry if I am asking silly questions.

    Is this a one day thing, or do you camp on route?

    If you are there only to spectate, can you camp on the trail? (obviously not applicable if this is a one day event)

    Is there anyone coming from C.T. ? (Ja I know it is very, very far away. )
    I'm coming fromcape.

    Chip in on fuel, and get in...
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

  17. #157
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    26
    Posts
    573
    Thanked: 60

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawid Loubser View Post
    That has to be one hell of a deep puddle of water to make it easier for you guys to drive over a Unimog with planks, vs the surrounding rocks!

    Luckily I'll probably have my canvas cover on the rear, so we won't find out :-)
    This is the puddle at Dead Dog Gorge. That is 37" tyres that is underwater.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JK CRD
    Willys CJ2a
    Yamaha YZ250

  18. #158
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Hillcrest, Malaysia
    Age
    62
    Posts
    17,354
    Thanked: 4159

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by NEON DEON View Post
    It has been mentioned that their is an option to join as spectators , A service road runs next to the river , maybe 50-80m away and is drivable with a Avis 4x4 , it is only the last 1 km that you have to walk and maybe carry your kit in order to camp at the beach .
    This means that their is really no excuse not to join the trip .
    Carrying camping kit 1km is one helluva good excuse.
    Cheers

    ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

    The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

  19. #159
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    KEMPTON PARK
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,230
    Thanked: 260

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    Fluffy if you read the tread you would have read that David is taking his Mog and can carry lots on the back of it, so for those that want to tag along as spectators , can then load up their camping gear on the Mog and camp at the beach if we make it.
    Last time we dis the final accent we had to attach a rope to the rear bumpers of the jeeps to secure them from tipping over on one of the rock decents , i am not sure if all of us would be able to chokka the Mog on that part, but we are going to give it a try, i am just glad I am not David in the driving seat nearly 3m up , and you cant see squat as you drop over the edge , in a jeep its scary , but we did it , and the same goes cumming back , have to tie the rope to the front for security .
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

  20. #160
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,371
    Thanked: 235

    Default Re: Carnage Canyon 16-18 June 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by Flipside View Post
    This is going to be epic
    I'm going to need a really good navi that knows the Jimny. Are you going.
    Last edited by saxj; 2017/05/10 at 09:19 PM.
    Vic

    "We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!"

    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Waiting impatiently
    2012 Suzuki Jimny 1.5 - 215R15C's, Steel undies, lifted and locked. - CRASHED
    1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's - SOLD
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts
    Platkar - Suzuki Swift 1.4 GLS Auto

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •