Best border post to CKGR on long weekend...

Default Best border post to CKGR on long weekend...

We are heading into Botswana on the 29th April which falls on the Labour day long weekend. Can anyone tell me if we should use Stockpoort or Martins Drift Border post? I'm not sure how busy they might get over a long weekend? Ive used Martins Drift in the past but never over a potentially busy long weekend.

I want to get through the border early so we can do some shopping and get to a bottle store, as im sure they will all be closed on Sunday and Monday. Going into The CKGR for 10 days with no beer would be a disaster.

My other concern is getting fuel on the way to Matswere gate. We will be driving from Khama Rhino Sanctuary to Matswere gate on the Monday 1st May which is a Public holiday. Does anyone know if Lethakane, Mopipi and Rakops Fuel stations will be open, or if they are affected by the holiday?

Any advice would be great thanks.

Default Re: Best border post to CKGR on long weekend...

Stockpoort will always be quieter than Martinsdrift. Although I cannot see that that long weekend will have much of an effect on border traffic unless lots of Saffers are heading to Botswana. Outflow out of Botswana should not be more than normal.

Shops, I am fairly sure will be open with normal trading hours the entire weekend. There is a nice shopping center in Serowe just where one turns right to Khama.

Fuel stations will be open, but keep in mind not the count on Rakops. Their supply is unreliable.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

I've had absolute chaos at Martins Drift over Easter because of all the Batswana going to their ZCC meet. Granted I was going into Bots and they were going out but arriving at the border post with thousands of others is never fun.

You could do like me and go in at Skilpadshek (Lobatse) and head up to the CKGR via Ghanzi. I've never had any issues with that border.

Edit: missed the part where you're going via Khama. That rules out Ghanzi.
    Last edited by elphix; 2017/03/30 at 04:58 PM.

Going into Botswana over Easter is always a disaster, be warned using Martins Drift as the crossing will delay you in 2015 we spent 3 hours on the Botswana side (SA side took about 45 minutes). The queue for immigration was out in the car park and the queue for paying the road and vehicle fees was almost as long.

In 2016, over Easter we used Zanzibar border which was a dream- both sides less than 30 minutes.

If you really must use Martins Drift then I suggest that you contact Kwa Nokeng lodge and ask them to arrange you vehicle payments, note if going onto Zim then you must ask them to get a "multi entry" for your vehicle and trailer. This will save you time at the border, as you phone them (Kwa Nokeng) before you get to the border and they will bring you the receipts to the Botswana exit gate.

See the attached document albeit an old letter.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes Martinsdrift should be avoided over Easter weekend, but that is not the weekend the OP asked about.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Yes Martinsdrift should be avoided over Easter weekend, but that is not the weekend the OP asked about.
    I returned from my Bots/Zim trip on Saturday 2nd May 2015 via Martins Drift and it was also crazy! but not as for the Easter period but bad enough for me to say never again. I now only go via Zanzibar- any time.