Cherokee Jeep crank no start - crd 2.8 - no fuel

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Angry Jeep crank no start - crd 2.8 - no fuel

hi all, new to the forums, and i have quite a good time reading all the posts.

now i bought a 2004 jeep cherokee from an auction at a decent price with 164000 km's on her. i started her and drove home from the auction house +- 100km. around about 50km into the journey she started hissing a bit, not too sure what this was at the time as i could only hear it when the windows were down. drove all the way home and when i got to my driveway the car was hissing really bad, like a compression leak somewhere. anyways got her into the driveway, and had a look, she was blowing compression next to the nr1 injector, looked around a bit and saw that the o-rings can fail. so i took out the injector after a bit of swearing and saw that the o-ring was missing, but so was the copper washer at the bottom of the injector. ordered a new fuel return line (cause i'm an idiot and broke a plastic clip when removing it) as well as the rubber o-ring and new washer. installed these and we were off. jeep running, but no real power on pull away until turbo starts boosting, this being my first jeep and diesel i wasn't sure if that's normal (no power what-so-ever in first, you press fuel and nothing, nothing, nothing, then suddenly boost for days). drove the jeep for 2 days then at stop streets the jeep would start dying on me, after a few cranks she would go again, but this kept on happening, and i heard the compression hiss again, this time from nr 2. decided bugger this and ordered 4 new o-rings and copper washers for all 4 of them. took me 5 days to remove the injectors with them being tight as all hell, and all the o-rings were shot, with no copper washers on 2 and 3. 4's copper was there though. i replaced it all and somehow managed to lose the retaining clamp for nr 4 (not sure how) ordered a second hand one from a scrap yard as for some reason my nr4 injector isn't the same as the others. (never noticed this till i pulled it out and it had a different part number, anyways jeep couldn't get me one and wanted me to replace the injector at a cost of R10000 ) get the new clamp and installed it onto nr4. tried to start her, nothing, she just cranks and cranks. cracked nr4 to try and bleed it nothing, no fuel. (i now on the libertys you have the hand pump and bleed valve but on mine there is no such thing) i took off the fuel filter and dumped the water/fuel from the bottom, replaced the filter with a new one, still no start, took off the incoming lines, and tried to start, nothing, no fuel whatsoever comes through the inlet fuel line from the pump, i can't hear the pump starting but i never could since day one. i tried swapping some replays but it still wont start. i took off the cam sensor as weel to clean as well as the map sensor. reinstalled , but still nada. any advice before i go to drop the entire fuel tank?

p.s sorry for the long post, just wanted you to get an idea of whats been done.
    pps - i have also replaced the battery just in case.

Default Re: Jeep crank no start - crd 2.8 - no fuel

Firstly: good luck, you'll need it with that engine..........

Secondly: DIAGNOSTIC CODES? Jeep provides them for a reason?

Thirdly: you didn't maybe wonder why the thing was so cheap?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

hi, i had a bunch of codes, but after replacing the battery the jeep is no longer giving any codes (using the key on off 5 times trick)
    so i assume they were old and have now been cleared?
    the codes that were listed before they vanished were the following:

P0340
    P1131
    P0620
    P1511
    P0836
    P0201
    P0203
    P0204
    P0202

it came from a bank repo auction so was hoping there weren't too many issues to deal with.

was just wondering if i did anything wrong which couldve caused the pump to stop working?

Quote Originally Posted by b4dg3R View Post

it came from a bank repo auction so was hoping there weren't too many issues to deal with.
    Means someone did not have the money to pay their installment, which means they definitely did not have the money to maintain it...

first make sure you did the bleed procedure properly.
    Last edited by Naami; 2017/03/26 at 02:41 PM.

2000 Ford Courier DC 2.5TD 4x4
    2009 Fiat 500
    2001 Merc C200K
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 manual

P0340 No Cam Signal At PCM No fuel sync.
    P1131 FUEL PRESSURE SOLENOID OPEN CIRCUIT
    P1131 FUEL PRESSURE SOLENOID POWERSTAGE ERROR
    P1131 FUEL PRESSURE SOLENOID SHORT CIRCUIT
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF BATTERY VOLTAGE DEVIATION TOO HIGH
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF BATTERY VOLTAGE DEVIATION TOO LOW
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF BATTERY VOLTAGE TOO HIGH
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF BATTERY VOLTAGE TOO LOW
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF CHARGING VOLTS TOO LOW
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF HIGH GENERATOR CURRENT
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF OPEN CIRCUIT
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF SHORT CIRCUIT
    P1511
    P0836 Transfer case position sensor/ Four Wheel Drive (4WD) Switch Circuit
    P0201 Injector #1 Control Circuit An open or shorted condition detected in control circuit for injector #1 or in the INJ 1 injector bank.
    P0203 Injector #3 Control Circuit An open or shorted condition detected in control circuit for injector #3 or in the INJ 3 injector bank.
    P0204 Injector #4 Control Circuit An open or shorted condition detected in control circuit for injector #4 or in the INJ 3 injector bank.
    P0202 Injector #2 Control Circuit An open or shorted condition detected in control circuit for injector #2 or in the INJ 3 injector bank.

Start at the top and check everything. Sounds like a combination of issues with sensors.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by johanslabbert View Post
    means someone did not have the money to pay their installment, which means they definitely did not have the money to maintain it...
    100% agree

2000 Ford Courier DC 2.5TD 4x4
    2009 Fiat 500
    2001 Merc C200K
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 manual

Is there no CPA on auction bought vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    Don't know, wouldn't go near an auction so never bothered to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Naami View Post
    first make sure you did the bleed procedure properly.

what would that procedure be?

P0340 No Cam Signal At PCM No fuel sync.
    P1131 FUEL PRESSURE SOLENOID OPEN CIRCUIT
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF BATTERY VOLTAGE DEVIATION TOO HIGH
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF BATTERY VOLTAGE DEVIATION TOO LOW
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF BATTERY VOLTAGE TOO HIGH
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF BATTERY VOLTAGE TOO LOW
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF CHARGING VOLTS TOO LOW
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF HIGH GENERATOR CURRENT
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF OPEN CIRCUIT
    P0620 GENERATOR FIELD CONTROL MALF SHORT CIRCUIT
    P1511
    P0836 Transfer case position sensor/ Four Wheel Drive (4WD) Switch Circuit
    P0201 Injector #1 Control Circuit An open or shorted condition detected in control circuit for injector #1 or in the INJ 1 injector bank.
    P0203 Injector #3 Control Circuit An open or shorted condition detected in control circuit for injector #3 or in the INJ 3 injector bank.
    P0204 Injector #4 Control Circuit An open or shorted condition detected in control circuit for injector #4 or in the INJ 3 injector bank.
    P0202 Injector #2 Control Circuit An open or shorted condition detected in control circuit for injector #2 or in the INJ 3 injector bank.

Start at the top and check everything. Sounds like a combination of issues with sensors.

jeez thats quite a list there will start at the top.
    how would you know what to look for. for example P1131 FUEL PRESSURE SOLENOID OPEN CIRCUIT

thats 3 different ways to check i assume, cause its 3 errors.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    Nope,not even close

Check the crank position sensor. Left rear of engine on bellhousing. Check for loose wires and sensor or damaged sensor.
    Check connections to cam position sensor. Check all electrical connections to injectors. Did you replace the injectors in the same sequence as they were removed? With a bottle and pipe or electrical pump, draw fuel through the filter until all the air is out. Then turn the engine over and bleed the injectors.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    Check the crank position sensor. Left rear of engine on bellhousing. Check for loose wires and sensor or damaged sensor.
    Check connections to cam position sensor. Check all electrical connections to injectors. Did you replace the injectors in the same sequence as they were removed? With a bottle and pipe or electrical pump, draw fuel through the filter until all the air is out. Then turn the engine over and bleed the injectors.
    will have a look at the crank shaft sensor tomorrow, no i took all of the injectors out and replaced in any order, does this matter on these jeeps?

um, being a newbie to this, how exactly would i get fuel through the filter and so on?

will have a look at the crank shaft sensor tomorrow, no i took all of the injectors out and replaced in any order, does this matter on these jeeps?

um, being a newbie to this, how exactly would i get fuel through the filter and so on?
    Injectors will need to be paired.
    JK CRD
    Willys CJ2a
    Yamaha YZ250

There is a few ways of getting fuel through the filter. The quickest and most common is. You put a piece of pipe on the outlet and you suck. Warning! Expect to get a few mouthfulls of diesel. And you will be burping diesel for an hour or so. A bottle with 2 pipes attached to the lid airtight. One pipe on the outlet and suck on the other end. The diesel coming through will then fall into the bottle. Or attach an electric pump to the outlet and into a bottle.
    I am not very sure about the 2.8 but, i suspect that the injectors are electronically coded for a specific cylinder and therefore may have issues when swopped to other cylinders. Use the search function and check in this section on bleeding and procedures. It has been discussed in detail. Google is also always helpful.

First of all make sure that all electrical connections in the engine bay is secure and fitted to the correct components.
    Make sure that the earth leads are secure(very important)
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Pieterk View Post
    There is a few ways of getting fuel through the filter. The quickest and most common is. You put a piece of pipe on the outlet and you suck. Warning! Expect to get a few mouthfulls of diesel. And you will be burping diesel for an hour or so. A bottle with 2 pipes attached to the lid airtight. One pipe on the outlet and suck on the other end. The diesel coming through will then fall into the bottle. Or attach an electric pump to the outlet and into a bottle.
    I am not very sure about the 2.8 but, i suspect that the injectors are electronically coded for a specific cylinder and therefore may have issues when swopped to other cylinders. Use the search function and check in this section on bleeding and procedures. It has been discussed in detail. Google is also always helpful.

First of all make sure that all electrical connections in the engine bay is secure and fitted to the correct components.
    Make sure that the earth leads are secure(very important)
    thanks for this,will have a go at this tomorrow, i have a idea on which injector goes where,
    i do know which one is the original number 4, will just play with the others when iv'e drank some diesel.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Why oh why?

The new generation ECU's need to have the injector ID's matched to position.

I think your new name is b0dg3r ...............
    Percivamus

Why oh why?

The new generation ECU's need to have the injector ID's matched to position.

I think your new name is b0dg3r ...............

HAHA,well i did say this was my first jeep and diesel.

I normally work on computers, not jeeps.
    Last edited by b4dg3R; 2017/03/27 at 11:39 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast